Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Here's me again chiming in with the anti-3-man back talk.  Broken record I know.  But once again, all of the questions and issues you raise are answered and solved with a 4-man back.  

Play Johnston AND Tajon.  Johnston at RB, his ideal position AND Tajon at RW, his real and ideal position.

We don't have one, we need to stop this shoehorning.  The back 3 does not suit our squad.  Any combination of dual CB is better than our current setup of 3 CBs

We can't get our best players on the pitch by adding in a 3rd weaker CB.  The whole formation is stronger with a back 4.

I'm also in favour of 4 at the back, it makes more sense in all respects to me.

I would much prefer it for Canada, it'd be more stable.

4-3-3 or 4-4-2, at least line up that way.

Two CBs, then for your fullbacks you can push one more and the other is more stay home, or they pay attention and one stays back if the other attacks. It can become a 3-5-2 if you want, but not as the starting point.

Any formation can be adjusted, if you push both fullbacks in attack then if need be, your DM falls back to assist the CBs if you get countered and the fullbacks are not around. The wings can turn in because the FBs can reach the endline and cross.

But all this is moot. We don't have great CBs so better to have two to assist each other, preferably less technical but one big and dominating in the air, maybe one fast and able to get to the challenge or track down the free striker. And build out that way.

We were successful in Concacaf qualifying because no team decided to dominate us in the middle and pick us apart that way. We in fact pushed rivals to the outside, like vs the US in Hamilton, when we'd decided to give them possession after going up a goal. But that was as much their limitation for creativity in the middle.

We get to Qatar and Croatia showed us how it is done, then Japan the last match. Lining up to favour our wing play, sacrificing the middle, gives us these fleet footed wingbacks and wings doing their dances on the touchline, then the mids all harried with their tongues hanging out trying to catch up to the rival outnumbering them in the centre of the park. 

Then the main point: we seem to think our most dynamic talent is our outside players, Davies, Laryea, Tajon, but very rarely have we gotten to an endline and crossed in for a goal. Goals like vs. the US in Nashville, the 1-1, when Davies got past Yedlin and fed to Larin point blank. How many goals did we score like that in qualifying?

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

You haven't changed much to the starting lineup. What I did notice is that you essentially dropped Laryea or Osorio for Millar, and pushed Davies further back to get him on. 

If we were doing this formation I would swap Millar for Laryea, and swap him with Davies. 
Millar is part of the future, I just don't think he's a starter just yet, especially in a front three. 

------------Larin--------------

Davies-------David------Buchanan

-------Kone-----Eustaquio-------

Laryea--Miller--McGraw--Johnston

------------Crepeau-------------------

Or if you are adamant about Davies playing at LB, than Hoilett goes in that spot for me with super sub Millar, Brym, Nelson, Corbeanu, Shaffelburg, as options for the wide players.

I like this to get Davies further up the pitch and after the Japan game I am not convinced about Davies playing further back. Maybe I am being fickle and should wait to see more, but it felt like early Davies with the defensive mislapses and such. The first Japan goal he wasn't switched on and didn't recognize the penetrating pass. Then, I saw that again in the highlights against Galatasaray. If he is going to have more of those moments we may as well play him further forward, in which case yes I would put out the line up you are suggesting. I like Laryea on the left and on current form I would play him ahead of Adekugbe, even though Sam is a natural LB.

The problem I have with Hoilett in that LW spot is that he doesn't really have the pace anymore, so he plays that role differently. Not necessarily worse though and so I could be talked into what you are selling here. For me the future is now and Millar is 24 years old and entering his prime soon, let's find a way to get this guy a run of starts for Canada to see what he can do. Too often he comes in late and affects change and it always leaves me feeling we could use his directness from the start of matches.

When I saw the Costa Rica match in Edmonton, where Millar started, him and Buchanan were twin terrors down the flanks and giving the Ticos real issues. I really think we need this to put pressure on teams from the beginning, instead of bringing Millar on once we are already chasing a game. And against a speedy Jamaica team we'd probably benefit from Millar to be honest. Yes he missed that open net the last time in Jamaica, but as pissed as I was at the time I don't hold that against him now, much like I don't hold Davies PK miss against Belgium against him now. 

With a back four, I'd like Davies as predominantly an attacking LB, Brazilian style (like a Marcelo), balanced by a more defensively inclined RB (Johnson) on the other side with probably Buchanon in a RW role in front of him.  The key is to determine which LW candidate in front of Davies can be his complementary piece.

I still believe that Hoillet is best for us coming off the bench.

26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

With a back four, I'd like Davies as predominantly an attacking LB, Brazilian style (like a Marcelo), balanced by a more defensively inclined RB (Johnson) on the other side with probably Buchanon in a RW role in front of him.  The key is to determine which LW candidate in front of Davies can be his complementary piece.

Junior and Millar are good candidates as both are good cutting inside on their strong foot. That leaves space for Davies to expliot. 

46 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

You could argue that hoillets profile is best. Let him drift inside and playmake so phonzie gets the entire wing to bomb down. Millar would occupy space that phonzie also wants. 

Dropped like a stone after getting his bell rung but good by a hard point-blank clearance.  BLAM!  Straight into left cheek.  Carried on after a breather but it wasn't going to happen, pulled himself a few minutes later.  Gets you wondering how the trainers allowed him to rejoin the match as they're usually really, really, cautious with head injuries.

Just coming into the 2nd nil-nil.

20 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Fortunately, I don't think it is a concussion, per @Gian-Luca in the Johnston thread:

Celtic manager post match says no concussion:

Silly me. I don't know how I missed @Gian-Luca 's post.

Anyways, Johnston is back to full training.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/alistair-johnston-eases-celtic-injury-31315818.amp

What a relief!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It's both hilarious and sad how much more Celtic and Rangers are outclassed by everyone outside Scotland while outclassing everyone else in the Scottish Premiership

I think it’s pretty sad that two of the best supported clubs in the entire world look absolutely amateurish whenever they play a single team outside of Scotland. Unfortunately for us, Celtic also looks like they’re pulling away from Rangers in general, so it’s not like we’re going to see AJ play against Europa league competition any time soon, since they’re probably going to rattle off a title every year that they roster AJ.

That’s not really true, their last 2 games were 2-1 (last minute) and 2-0 losses which really isn’t terrible. Rangers beat Betis earlier this year in the Europa league and obviously had their finals run 2 years ago and Aberdeen have been decent in the conference league this year.

Just now, Jack1997 said:

That’s not really true, their last 2 games were 2-1 (last minute) and 2-0 losses which really isn’t terrible. Rangers beat Betis earlier this year in the Europa league and obviously had their finals run 2 years ago and Aberdeen have been decent in the conference league this year.

Celtic is up 8 points (one game in hand) over Rangers already. They won the league by 7 points last year, 4 the year before, Rangers won by 25 (???) the year before, and Celtic won the 9 prior. I know that Rangers had to climb back up the Scottish system not too long ago, but part of me would like to see Celtic finish second, play Europa League and see how they fare- if rangers can go that deep, you’d figure Celtic could at least win a few games. Celtic is 5 back from Feyenoord- if Feyenoord looses to Atletico and Celtic beats Lazio away, they’ll face each other at Celtic park for 3rd place and a Europa league berth. Massive longshot, but who knows. 

anyways, Johnston rated a 4.8 today. Slightly above their LB who was a 4.7, and slightly below their CBs who were 5.1 and 5.0, but sheesh. Anyone see how he looked out there? The problem doesn’t look like it’s isolated, but man, that’s tough.

47 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It's both hilarious and sad how much more Celtic and Rangers are outclassed by everyone outside Scotland while outclassing everyone else in the Scottish Premiership

Doesn't bode well for the other guys in our squad not named Johnston. Doesn't even bode well for Johnston if they are getting smacked at this level repeatedly.

I feel that Johnston has regressed since he's moved to Scotland to be honest - at least for Canada. Maybe that's down to the ankle injury he had, but I find he takes too long on the ball now. I saw that against the USA in NL and again against Japan. 

Anyone see how today went? I saw they had a red card, so it's not like Atletico were 4 goals better at even strength...

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Doesn't bode well for the other guys in our squad not named Johnston. Doesn't even bode well for Johnston if they are getting smacked at this level repeatedly.

I feel that Johnston has regressed since he's moved to Scotland to be honest - at least for Canada. Maybe that's down to the ankle injury he had, but I find he takes too long on the ball now. I saw that against the USA in NL and again against Japan

Anyone see how today went? I saw they had a red card, so it's not like Atletico were 4 goals better at even strength...

You find? I think he’s looked awesome for Celtic. Bit of a tough start to the season with injuries, but he’s looked great. We have to remember too with Canada it’s not like we’ve played too many important games in 2023, and I don’t know that many of our players have looks tip top shape for country this calendar year. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

You find? I think he’s looked awesome for Celtic. Bit of a tough start to the season with injuries, but he’s looked great. We have to remember too with Canada it’s not like we’ve played too many important games in 2023, and I don’t know that many of our players have looks tip top shape for country this calendar year. 

I do find - but just for Canada. The times I have seen him for Celtic (more last season than this season) he's looked really good. For Canada though he just seems to be not as sharp. It's not a massive drop-off or anything, but I would expect him to be slightly better not slightly worse. Against the states I chalked it up to injury. Against Japan I will chalk it up to lack of (Canada) games. Let's see how he looks against Jamaica. 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I do find - but just for Canada. The times I have seen him for Celtic (more last season than this season) he's looked really good. For Canada though he just seems to be not as sharp. It's not a massive drop-off or anything, but I would expect him to be slightly better not slightly worse. Against the states I chalked it up to injury. Against Japan I will chalk it up to lack of (Canada) games. Let's see how he looks against Jamaica. 

That’s fair- I just don’t think we’ve really had any players look particularly good for us- I can think of Kone vs the US, DSC looked good when called in… couple moments for Hoilett, Shaffelburg’s goal was awesome, but we haven’t looked too solid this year. Hoping we regroup under Biello and get back to our (not *too*) old ways against Jamaica 

12 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it’s pretty sad that two of the best supported clubs in the entire world look absolutely amateurish whenever they play a single team outside of Scotland. Unfortunately for us, Celtic also looks like they’re pulling away from Rangers in general, so it’s not like we’re going to see AJ play against Europa league competition any time soon, since they’re probably going to rattle off a title every year that they roster AJ.

Which is one of the reasons why I would be in favour of a European Super League...IF DONE PROPERLY.

5 hours ago, masster said:

Which is one of the reasons why I would be in favour of a European Super League...IF DONE PROPERLY.

The issue is our version of "doing it properly" doesn't align with the teams version of "doing it properly".  Same words, very different meaning.  We want to see a balanced and very competitive league, the teams want to maximize profits for themselves. 

I don’t know how a super league would benefit teams like Celtic and Rangers (and to another extent, teams like red Star, Partizan, Kyiv, Donetsk, Sherif, so on). Maybe if the super league necessitated the merger of the English and Scottish pyramids to replace the lost teams, but my guess is that so much money would be extracted from the top European leagues that the premier league would get closer in quality to the Scottish prem than the other way around.

Probably just cynical, but I think the only way for a team like Celtic to compete with the big dogs is to integrate them into the premier league as it currently exists, but even then, I don’t think there’s interest in that from fans, and there’s no guarantee they don’t just immediately get relegated and end up a team like Watford or Sheffield that will have some good premier league seasons, many championships, and absolutely no Europe.

5 hours ago, masster said:

I wonder if they could do a regionalized superleague:

UK division:

• Celtic
  • Rangers
  • Man City
  • Man U
  • Liverpool
  • Newcastle
  • Spurs
  • Chelsea
  • Arsenal
  • Villa

BeNeLux division:

• Ajax
  • Feyenoord
  • PSV
  • Twente
  • AZ
  • Genk
  • Gent
  • Anderlehct
  • Brugge
  • Union SG

Scandanavia:

• Malmo
  • Hacken
  • Hammarby
  • Copenhagan
  • Bronby
  • Midtjylland
  • Bodø/Glimt
  • Molde
  • Rosenborg
  • HJK Helsinki (I know finland aren't technically scandanavia - but bare with me)

France/Swiss

• PSG
  • Monaco
  • Lyon
  • Marsielle
  • Lille
  • Nice
  • Lens
  • Young Boys
  • Zurich
  • Basel (lol)

Iberia

• Barca
  • Real Madrid
  • Atletico
  • Valencia
  • Sevilla
  • Betis
  • Villarreal
  • Porto
  • Benfica
  • Sporting

I won't go on forever, but maybe something like that would be more interesting, at least to me. Scandanvia and (to a lesser extent) Benelux would still be relatively weak compared to a UK or Iberian league. I got too lazy to consider what to do with Germany, Italy and Central/Eastern Europe....