TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

• 1 month later...

USL League One posted a statement that they will restart on July 18th.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/1108208

Reads very America-centric.  I can't see any games in Toronto.  League e-mail come from Tampa so likely they will play in Florida.   There are only 12 teams so should be easier to schedule than  MLS.  

If anything happens this season in Toronto regarding home games, I post game reports under the 'Canadian Teams & Leagues' forums.  

• 2 weeks later...

Its because TFC has it in for me, they know I have no use for Delgado and just want to rub my nose in it.  You watch, they will announce it a third time on my birthday just to piss me off.  And they'll prob announce Shafflebourg has been released and signed by the upper midwestern Twangers of USL-1 at the same time.  

You and me my friend.  My son knows we don’t call him by his proper surname but the one that came out in anger at a game watching him lose the ball repeatedly while Oso and others more talented rode the pine.   He has since been referred to as Delbado and nothing else.  

Think Vanney is ok but his preference for pets like the striker who couldn’t score, Spencer, and Delbado infuriate at times.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

I always find it strange that there’s a narrative around Vanney’s love for Ben Spencer, despite only giving him261 total minutes before sending him packing.

I think it was because many of us saw from the get go this guy wasn't very good, a tall striker who was weak in the air and IIRC he basically replaced Mo Babouli and although there weren't many minutes for him he was preferred by Vanney over Hamilton at times, that's my perception anyway!

Oh boy. OH BOY....................Right off the bat he was a hold over from Vanneys youth scout days, first with U-15 USA, where he "discovered" him.  He got the kid into the USA youth program then to RSL academy.  The kid lived with Vanney for 6 months as a teenager. Then he brought him to 3 consectutive (RSL/Chivas/TFC) teams he was working with after that??  FISHY??  NAH, except he also brought in Delgado and Zaveletta as well.  SO...Vanney got him into TFC, he blew his knee for a second time, sat for a year recovering and THEN we signed him after all that, not worried about him being damaged goods.  And there were feel good articles about Vanneys faith in Spencer, how he knew he would recover to the form that put him on US youth teams etc.  

https://www.torontofc.ca/playerprofile/ben-spencer

Then he basically shit the bed at TFC2, couldnt score over 2 seasons, all the while akinola and Hamilton when down there scored and earned their minutes up at the big club.  And we had to listen to the commentators tell us about his soft feet and although he was 6'5 and slow, he wasnt very good in the air.  And the whole time we are on this board hoping local kids like Balboui or Akinola, draft picks like ENdoh will get the start, get some more minutes etc and Hamilton who had already proved himself at TFC2 and scored in MLS was sitting right there on the bench.  And for some reason Spencer gets his 5 games,  261min in MLS over those guys.  And Vanney fed us some BS about him wanting a more "target" hold up type forward as opposed to guys who could score.  And i wont even mention the time Zavs (the nephew) was having a terrible game and Vanney pulled him and replaced him with Spencer...they prob had a good laugh about the times they used to play Nintendo in Vanneys basement at Thanksgiving.  I guess you could call all that a narrative....

https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/5/2/15521544/toronto-fc-sign-american-usa-international-ben-spencer-contract-2017-mls-transfers

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-signs-reserve-player-ben-spencer-to-senior-team-1.3395111

https://chatnewstoday.ca/2017/05/28/after-hard-injury-road-spencer-savours-mls-debut-but-looks-to-the-future/

He didnt earn one minute...not one.  It infuriates me so much because i was watching a ton of USL, TFC2, Whitecaps 2 at the time.  And he looked out of place and clumsy down there, plus he was older than Hamilton and way older than Akinola..with bad knees.  CRIPES...I better go for a bike ride or hit the heavy bag, get the anger out before the season restarts.  Do some zen meditation/learn some coping mechanisms so when Vanney resigns Ciman and Zav to long term deals and releases Dunn, Romeo and Okello I will be mentally prepared.    SERENITY NOW!!!  

I don't mind the Delgado re-signing. I don't love it, but it's not the worst thing in the world. It means we don't lose him for nothing should a European team want him. Despite his flaws, there are some clubs over there who may be interested in him. Think mid-level Belgian clubs looking to add depth. DC United loaned out Chris Durkin to Sint-Truiden, now he is there permanently. Matt Polster was signed by Rangers. It's not like he plays for them (3 appearances since 2019 I think), but that's none of our concern if Delgado actually plays after a team sign him. My point is that plenty European teams may be interested in him and now Toronto/MLS have tied him up for longer. Not a bad thing, he is somewhat useful after all. 

That said, I hope Fraser can take his minutes :)

unfortunate to see blind hate on players and coach..can never be happy even if successful..vanney three mls cup appearances in five years..delgado a big part of it..a starter all these years..quality in midfield on both sides of the ball..if they were losing it would be ''hey get them out'' but if they are winning its hate because they are not playing or didnt play a few Canadians who have not proved much at mls level or not playing much after going elsewhere..you good enough you will play just like osorio laryea..hamilton if hes such a great player is he seeing the light of day in columbus? no need to make such simple and easy stuff to understand so hard and complicated and make big stories..chapman hows it going in miami

Big M, If that was directed my way, was there anything in my rant about Vanney's treatment of Spencer that wasnt true??  I didnt say I hated Vanney once or was unhappy with TFCs success.  I dont even dislike Spencer, I'm happy is is finally scoring some goals in USL one or USL champ, wherever he ended up at.  I dont usually even say Vanney is a bad coach but his GM does bust the bank on bringing him the horses he needs to win.   I do however think there is a very strong nepotism streak in him and that would hard to argue against.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Big M, If that was directed my way, was there anything in my rant about Vanney's treatment of Spencer that wasnt true??  I didnt say I hated Vanney once or was unhappy with TFCs success.  I dont even dislike Spencer, I'm happy is is finally scoring some goals in USL one or USL champ, wherever he ended up at.  I dont usually even say Vanney is a bad coach but his GM does bust the bank on bringing him the horses he needs to win.   I do however think there is a very strong nepotism streak in him and that would hard to argue against.  

When he first came on, there seemed to be a real competition during practice for playing time in matches.  It gave the benchers hope and kept the starters on their toes.  The players used to say good things about the fairness of the system.  That seems to have gone away over time.  Was it just Vanney who did away with it, or did the whole team lose interest?  Inquiring minds want to know.

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

unfortunate to see blind hate on players and coach..can never be happy even if successful..vanney three mls cup appearances in five years..delgado a big part of it..a starter all these years..quality in midfield on both sides of the ball..if they were losing it would be ''hey get them out'' but if they are winning its hate because they are not playing or didnt play a few Canadians who have not proved much at mls level or not playing much after going elsewhere..you good enough you will play just like osorio laryea..hamilton if hes such a great player is he seeing the light of day in columbus? no need to make such simple and easy stuff to understand so hard and complicated and make big stories..chapman hows it going in miami

A little melodramatic, don't you think?  I don't think anyone on here used the word "hate".  A very strong word in this day and age.  A lot of Canada and TFC fans don't always agree with Vanney's player choices.  Nothing wrong with that.  Spencer and Zavaletta were two prime players.  As a TFC fan I agree for the most part.  Spencer was terrible on TFC, and the last two years of Zavaletta were bad, but at least I will give him credit for playing well in the championship year and CCL run.  Vanney is a good coach.  I think people on this site (Reminder - Canadian soccer supporters site!) would rather see Canadians play over middling to poor Americans, even if those Canadians are also middling.

By the way, how's Mark-Anthony Kaye doing in LA?

kaye is doing great..watched him with tfc in usl and he wasnt an mls player then..and after tfc he spent two more seasons in usl..lets move on from the spencer talk as it was years ago and in the end he played 5 mls games so its way blown out..zavaleta some years a starter some years not..last year wasnt a starter but was in the year they won the cup

Oh by the way, HAPPY CANADA DAY!!  Wait, shouldnt I just go with whatever day is the best, why give special treatment to Canada day?  Hmm, now I am torn, does Brazil have a day, or maybe Spain.  Screw it, lets go with the 4th of July.