TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Any thoughts on when TFC will make decisions on the rest of the draft picks??  Higgins would be welcome at a few CPL teams if they arent going to sign him.  Probably better for him than going to USL-1.  

The fact that it's unclear probably means he will stay with TFC and sign for the second team. You are correct but the lure of MLS (even if a long shot) is strong for players. 

20 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Looks like Laurent Ciman has obtained his permanent residence status and now counts as domestic for TFC.  I had heard over the winter that two of TFC's internationals  would count as domestic for 2020. I assumed the other would be Endoh, however he is still showing as an international on the roster.

Endoh has been close for years but cant score high enough on the english test i believe. 

Maybe its the CPL taking up a lot of my local interest but I am barely excited for TFC to play saturday. 

24 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Looks like Laurent Ciman has obtained his permanent residence status and now counts as domestic for TFC.  I had heard over the winter that two of TFC's internationals  would count as domestic for 2020. I assumed the other would be Endoh, however he is still showing as an international on the roster.

Michael Bradley?

Anyone who though Fraser would automatically start with Bradley's absence really don't understand Vanney at all.

My prediction is that Osorio gets dropped from the starting line up as well when Bradley returns.

Its still early but I am predicting that TFC and Gallardo mutually part ways in the summer. I think this may happen with Piatti as well. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Anyone who though Fraser would automatically start with Bradley's absence really don't understand Vanney at all.

My prediction is that Osorio gets dropped from the starting line up as well when Bradley returns.

Its still early but I am predicting that TFC and Gallardo mutually part ways in the summer. I think this may happen with Piatti as well. 

Why would Osorio get dropped from the starting lineup? In terms of Fraser and this is just my opinion , he has never impressed me whenever he has played unfortunately. The only time was when he came on in that Canada US game last year. Hope he proves me wrong . Yesterday’s game was all on Vanney for taking off Pozuelo and then Altidore in the last 15 when your away from home and only a goal up.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Why would Osorio get dropped from the starting lineup? In terms of Fraser and this is just my opinion , he has never impressed me whenever he has played unfortunately. The only time was when he came on in that Canada US game last year. Hope he proves me wrong . Yesterday’s game was all on Vanney for taking off Pozuelo and then Altidore in the last 15 when your away from home and only a goal up.

Well someone will have to get dropped when Bradley returns, and Vanney did start Osorio from the bench a few times last year.

I always found Vanney to be lucky and overrated.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

If Vanney is still holding a grudge from last year when Fraser went down to TFC2 and they got shellacked, then he is an idiot.  I guess Fraser still isnt in the precious short list of 13-14 guys vanney trusts from the end of last season? But Endoh can get nutmeged then pull a lazy stupid foul with 30 seconds left in the game and he is ok?  Endoh that had the ball in the box, could have played it back and let the rest of the team play keep away but choose to sprint to the corner flag by himself and immediately give up a goal kick.  And Caldwell praised him for it..grrrrrr.  Cripes its only 1 game into the season and I am losing it.  CPL cant start soon enough.   

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Tell me about it!

I've been trying to watch some non Canadian team MLS matches and they are boring me to death.

Boring to death lol but the CPL is so exciting? Maybe you just find soccer boring? I can watch a men’s beer league game exciting , but then I’m just a crazy soccer junkie and can’t get enough of it .

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Boring to death lol but the CPL is so exciting? Maybe you just find soccer boring? I can watch a men’s beer league game exciting , but then I’m just a crazy soccer junkie and can’t get enough of it .

Why do you always come to this forum and try to white knight MLS? Give me a break.

And yes I do find MLS boring. They have expanded too quickly and have watered down the league.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Why do you always come to this forum and try to white knight MLS? Give me a break.

And yes I do find MLS boring. They have expanded too quickly and have watered down the league.

Sorry I’m an idiot don’t understand “ white knight “. So your  such an expert on soccer that you can detect that the play is watered down ? I don’t know how old you are but I come from an era when trying to find any soccer on tv or in any media here in Canada was virtually impossible. Put it this way I had to go to an Honduras social club back in 1985 to watch Canada play in a World Cup qualifying game against Honduras. So ya I’m just loving all this soccer I’m able to watch now here in Canada and the attention a league like the MLS has here in Toronto even if it’s a fraction of what the Leafs, Raptors and Jays get. So ya when I’m watching games with full stadiums and yes not all stadiums are always full I’m loving it because compared to soccer back in the Stone Age back in the 1980’s this is a beautiful time for me , and now throw in the CPL and even better. Therefore, this constant bashing of the MLS I don’t capisco if you understand what is what like for a soccer nut like me back in the day!

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry I’m an idiot don’t understand “ white knight “. So your  such an expert on soccer that you can detect that the play is watered down ? I don’t know how old you are but I come from an era when trying to find any soccer on tv or in any media here in Canada was virtually impossible. Put it this way I had to go to an Honduras social club back in 1985 to watch Canada play in a World Cup qualifying game against Honduras. So ya I’m just loving all this soccer I’m able to watch now here in Canada and the attention a league like the MLS has here in Toronto even if it’s a fraction of what the Leafs, Raptors and Jays get. So ya when I’m watching games with full stadiums and yes not all stadiums are always full I’m loving it because compared to soccer back in the Stone Age back in the 1980’s this is a beautiful time for me , and now throw in the CPL and even better. Therefore, this constant bashing of the MLS I don’t capisco if you understand what is what like for a soccer nut like me back in the day!

I'm a season 1 TFC season ticket holder and still have those seats. I think that makes me old enough to give my opinion on this matter. 

We have a plethora of options now. There no reason to watch MLS now. I only watch to see other Canadians play now. 

CPL is different because it's our league and it features actual Canadian players. 

Edited by narduch

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I am wondering if you mean 1981 instead of 1985? I watched all the qualifiers in 1985 on CBC (except the home match against Costa Rica as I was in the stands for that one to see that famous equalizer by Paul James).

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm a season 1 TFC season ticket holder and still have those seats. I think that makes me old enough to give my opinion on this matter. 

We have a plethora of options now. There no reason to watch MLS now. I only watch to see other Canadians play now. 

CPL is different because it's our league and it features actual Canadian players. 

Sorry born and raised in Canada lived here all my life. But yes it’s nice to watch sports with Canadian players but I watch sports for entertainment purpose first of all, however, I’m not going to not watch a sport because no Canadian players are playing. I guess I’m a bit different then I’ll watch the MLS because first and foremost it’s a soccer league a sport I love and a team that represents my city is in the league . Moreover, I realize the level of MLS is not even close to the top leagues around the world but I watch because it’s soccer. I watch the CPL knowing it’s not a top league in the world because again it’s soccer could care less it’s not a top league. One thing you need to keep in mind the US just like Canada soccer is not a top 3 or even 4 sport it terms of people interested in watching . In both countries soccer as a spectator sport is behind American NFL style Football, baseball , hockey and baseball. Walk into a mainstream sports bar in the US and Canada and your lucky if you see soccer on any of the tv screens in the bar unless the World Cup is on. The worse thing that could ever happen and I know most on here would think it would be a blessing, would be if in some crazy way the MLS would fold and soccer became even less popular than it is now in the US. Think about this way , the last League of any stature in the US was the old NASL which was on a level of the same level of MLS it folded in 1984 and until the MLS came about in 1996 there was no real league at that level. Therefore , 12 long years of no real high level type league in the US , the perfect opportunity for a Canadian League to be formed and grow but it never happened. The CSL came and folded , it took the success of the 3 Canadian teams in the MLS to show people that pro soccer can work in Canada and thus the CPL was born.  The US and Canada are so connected unlike any two countries in the world it’s not a coincidence that both hockey , basketball and baseball we have Canadian teams play in mainly an American League and soccer is no different. The bigger soccer gets in the US the bigger it gets in Canada , you can hate all you want on the MLS and anything to do with American soccer but we want soccer to become more popular in the US because like it or not it helps soccer’s popularity in Canada to and that includes our very own CPL. Even if one day all three Canadian teams go play in the CPL we still need the MLS to stay strong and become more popular than it is today. 

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I am wondering if you mean 1981 instead of 1985? I watched all the qualifiers in 1985 on CBC (except the home match against Costa Rica as I was in the stands for that one to see that famous equalizer by Paul James).

Ya maybe you may be right maybe 1981 then, ya that Costa Rica game I was there at Varsity too when Paul James scored that equalizer . I was sitting in the east stands near the 18 yard box on the south side . Varsity Stadium it’s too bad they couldn’t just renovate that old place maybe expand it a bit and cover the stands with a roof . It was a great place to watch a game .

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Well someone will have to get dropped when Bradley returns, and Vanney did start Osorio from the bench a few times last year.

He also started Pozuelo from the bench a few times last year, so the logic doesn't really hold up.