TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Game was won and lost in midfield. With pozuelo playing the false nine role instead of as ten,   the midfield is not able to control the game like their used to.  

It also didn’t help that Bradley had maybe his worst game for TFC and looked about 3 steps too slow. He couldn’t win the ball as he is too slow and was giving the ball away constantly. 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well that was weak. 

It was weak. But the team they faced is very good.   I was really pissed when LAG got gifted the equalizer and they ended up facing these guys.  Yes, TFC has their number, but NyC is very talented .  And they play a similar game to TFC.  

Edited by Free kick

23 minutes ago, Free kick said:

It was weak. But the team they faced is very good.   I was really pissed when LAG got gifted the equalizer and they ended up facing these guys.  Yes, TFC has their number, but NyC is very talented .  And they play a similar game to TFC.  

I also didn't like how NYFC as a 3rd place team had more rest heading into this game than the 1st place team, which is ridiculous for any tourney for that to happen - the 1st place teams are supposed to be rewarded with the advantage, not the disadvantage. To be honest, didn't think it would make a huge difference but after seeing how NYFC looked like they had twice the energy of TFC in tonight's game, now I'm not so sure. The only silver lining is that it doesn't matter too much since this doesn't count for regular season points anymore, just the loss of a Champions league spot.

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I also didn't like how NYFC as a 3rd place team had more rest heading into this game than the 1st place team, which is ridiculous for any tourney for that to happen - the 1st place teams are supposed to be rewarded with the advantage, not the disadvantage. To be honest, didn't think it would make a huge difference but after seeing how NYFC looked like they had twice the energy of TFC in tonight's game, now I'm not so sure. The only silver lining is that it doesn't matter too much since this doesn't count for regular season points anymore, just the loss of a Champions league spot.

It was as if NYC was playing with an extra man all night.  TFC players had no time on the ball.  Between the dominance in midfield by NYC, the tactical advantage that they had due to TFC not playing with a true fwd, terrible game by bradley and the ineffectiveness of the wingbacks (especially in the first half) etc etc.   I am starting  to wonder how long Auro will contine to get starting minutes. 

Edited by Free kick

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It also didn’t help that Bradley had maybe his worst game for TFC and looked about 3 steps too slow. He couldn’t win the ball as he is too slow and was giving the ball away constantly. 

Thats what you get for letting him play 3 straight 90min coming off an injury and not trusting Fraser (bench).  

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

It was as if NYC was playing with an extra man all night.  TFC players had no time on the ball.  Between the dominance in midfield by NYC, the tactical advantage that they had due to TFC not playing with a true fwd, terrible game by bradley and the ineffectiveness of the wingbacks (especially in the first half) etc etc.   I am starting  to wonder how long Auro will contine to get starting minutes. 

Yeah, he had a poor game, though the whole team was asleep on the first goal. They also left the impression that they weren't ready to play.

May well have been the worst TFC game in years but i dont think they threw the game.  The opponents had a lot to do with it. Last year, they finished first in the conference (14 pts better than TFC) and they had easily the second best record in the league.  I can see these guys going to the finals of this tourny against LAFC.

Tactically speaking,  i am beginning to wonder if we starting to notice the loss of Robin Fraser.   He was Vanney’s assistant who took over the head coaching job in Colorado in the off season.  I might be wrong, but i think that i am seeing more questionable lineup decisions that what i’ve seen in the past.  

Edited by Free kick

I don't think they threw the game, but NYFC seemed to want it more and seemed more motivated to win. It helps when you start the season 1-4, lose the first two games of the tourney and then are gifted a chance to get revenge - they really were extremely lucky to qualify for the round of 16 and now seem could be one of the favourites, although not sure if they will get a sleepwalking opponent with no strikers starting in their QF match.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't think they threw the game, but NYFC seemed to want it more and seemed more motivated to win.

That and TFC figuring that they just needed to show up, particularly with Altidore and Osorio available from the bench.  No tempo and rhythm and the midfield got owned.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That and TFC figuring that they just needed to show up, particularly with Altidore and Osorio available from the bench.  No tempo and rhythm and the midfield got owned.

I can't see any benefit to TFC to winning, and lots of benefit about not getting sucked into the end of this now-meaningless tournament, so that they can get some training in after quarantine, for when points are on the line again.

I doubt any Canadian team was particularly motivated to stay past the round of 16.

20 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

“Given away by Bradley”

I have heard that a few times tonight.  

His heart didn't seem in it ...

TFC landed back at Pearson about an hour ago. Vancouver departs Orlando in an hour.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8911/history/20200727/1810Z/KMCO/CYYZ

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8913/history/20200727/2110Z/KMCO/CYVR

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

The Caps?  They gave it their all with what they had last night and would have been quite happy to ride this wave as far as possible.

Maybe ... the keeper was certainly there for the game!

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

I can't see any benefit to TFC to winning, and lots of benefit about not getting sucked into the end of this now-meaningless tournament, so that they can get some training in after quarantine, for when points are on the line again.
I doubt any Canadian team was particularly motivated to stay past the round of 16.  His heart didn't seem in it ...

His legs didnt seem in it.  If TFC thought it was a meaningless game, why not sub Bradley at half time and bring on Fraser or Okello again?  It was clear at halftime the midfield was out of gas and some youthful exuberance was needed.  If they had another game they could have got Jozy back up to full speed and got Nelsen or Okello a little more game time. I dont think they were going to turn down another game after social distancing all summer.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

His legs didnt seem in it.  If TFC thought it was a meaningless game, why not sub Bradley at half time and bring on Fraser or Okello again?  It was clear at halftime the midfield was out of gas and some youthful exuberance was needed.  If they had another game they could have got Jozy back up to full speed and got Nelsen or Okello a little more game time. I dont think they were going to turn down another game after social distancing all summer.  

I doubt the 9 AM, 8 pm, 9 AM, 8:30 PM timings helped. And seemed particularly ridiculous after we found out they could actually play two evening games at once. Everything else aside, the 9 AM games made for dull, lethargic, soccer.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:12 AM, Gian-Luca said:

As bad as TFC were last night, took some pleasure at seeing that Seattle was about 75 times worse this evening. The 4-1 scoreline flattered them in the extreme.

I would really like to see how many trophies that they would have if it were not for Stefan Frei.   They had no shots on goal in the 2016 final.  In 2019,  i recall a shot from Nicholas Benezet in the first half (of the final)that Frey dove and got his fingers on and paried the shot.  Had that bounced a centimetre earlier, thats probably over his outstretched hand and in the net.  Being up 1-0 in the first half would have changed the game dramatically.  With those guys,  you have to absolutely score the first goal in the game.  

What bugs me about their style or tactics is that its successful and that its winning titles for them in this area of the world where the game (though growing well) still needs and has lots of room to grow.  But, if your winning the way they did in 2016 or 2019, you are not going to turn those many sceptics who, are still out there, into converts.

i would not mind seattle’s type of game (or the way they win) when i am watching soccer at the global level or the european club game.   Its legit, its not fraudulant or wrong.   But here in north america,  we would still hear echos (after the 2016 final) of:  “Thats why soccer is stupid sport.....you can win a championship game without a shot on goal”.    Given the massive support and turnout at their games, you would think that they should easily be able acquire the kind of talent that would allow them to play a more assertive game.  Like LAFC for example.  Thats the part that probably bugs me the most. 

Ps.:  to be clear, i am complaining against counter attacking game plans or teams.   They can be very fun to watch.  A passive style (in NA) is another story.  

Edited by Free kick