TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

33 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

TFC needs to spend some time deciding who will replace Vanney. While I was critical of his never ending faith in tried and true veterans (and some of his decisions), you can’t deny the overall success he had after a decade of absolute shite.  They need to take their time and find someone with a proven track record that can jump in and keep this team near the top.  Need to find a Tata not a Frank.  And having names like Bent or Dichio put forward is absolute garbage.  No offence to either gentleman but this team will have one of the highest salary payrolls in the league for years to come and this is not where you learn the ropes.  We need to be one of the big 6 of MLS and the coach we hire needs to reflect that.  

They’re not going to spend like they used to.

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They’re not going to spend like they used to.

Pretty sure Manning said they are going to continue to have 3 DP’s and spend a significant amount each year.  If they buy down guys like Bradley and Piatti and still pay DP’s, their expenditure will be still among the league leaders.  Under Curtis they will use homegrowns to complete the roster.

5 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Pretty sure Manning said they are going to continue to have 3 DP’s and spend a significant amount each year.  If they buy down guys like Bradley and Piatti and still pay DP’s, their expenditure will be still among the league leaders.  Under Curtis they will use homegrowns to complete the roster.

No more 15M a year on DP’s though.

46 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

We overpaid to bring 2 American stars back into the MLS.  In the end it gave us a great run but you are right they won’t drop 5 million a year on tier 2 stars. I think however that they will spend that kind of money if an international star in his prime is willing to come.  Ie Vela, Giovinco,...

Giovinco was such a special decision. Bradley and Altidore have been good but TFC never gets transformed like they did without Gio (so much so that I almost forgot how painful the early years were).

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just as silly as the Art Ross, Lady Byng or Frank J Selke award.  They are trying to work with the limited history of the league.  In 20 years when they give out the Camacho award for the worst defensive gaf of the season it wont seem so strange.  

I actually like the hockey trophy names.  Because I've never liked Landycakes, I don't like his name being on the MVP trophy.  I'd rather it just be the MLS MVP or the player of the season.  Simple.  Straightforward. 

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just as silly as the Art Ross, Lady Byng or Frank J Selke award.  They are trying to work with the limited history of the league.  In 20 years when they give out the Camacho award for the worst defensive gaf of the season it wont seem so strange.  

I like the idea of the Camacho Award for Defensive Gaffe of the Year. But given that Lady Byng never played NHL Hockey, we need more off-the-wall trophy nominations. I am thinking;

- the Alejandro Moreno Award for Most Obnoxious Latino Player

- the Paul Mariner Award for Most Obnoxious British Player 

- the Mo Johnston Award for Idiot Coach Who Doesn’t Play/Unjustly Blames Canadian Players Award (to be voted on by the Voyageurs of course)

- the Charlie Davies Award for Most Clueless/Homer Commentator

- the Baldomero Toledo Award for Most Unjust Recipient of a Red Card Award

- The Bruce Arena Award for Most Obnoxious/Verbally Abusive Coach Award

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Seems pretty forced if you ask me.  I agree with BearcatSA. K.I.S.S.

I know he's as close to an MLS legend as you can get, but when a more accomplished player wins this award, named after a less accomplished player, it's weird to me (think David Villa). Those guys are the same generation, making it weirder. 

With time it will probably get less weird.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I like the idea of the Camacho Award for Defensive Gaffe of the Year. But given that Lady Byng never played NHL Hockey, we need more off-the-wall trophy nominations. I am thinking;

- the Alejandro Moreno Award for Most Obnoxious Latino Player

- the Paul Mariner Award for Most Obnoxious British Person 

- the Mo Johnston Award for Idiot Coach Who Doesn’t Play/Unjustly Blames Canadian Players Award (to be voted on by the Voyageurs of course)

- the Charlie Davies Award for Most Clueless/Homer Commentator

- the Baldomero Toledo Award for Most Unjust Recipient of a Red Card Award

- The Bruce Arena Award for Most Obnoxious/Verbally Abusive Coach Award

These are pretty good. Just had to clean a little something up, for accuracy.