TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

On 8/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ruffian said:

Jozy on the way out?

Maybe they think that Akinola is ready to replace Altidore.   He would certainly be much cheaper and they both seem to play a similar game.  But that would be awfully risky given that we are talking about a sample size (in Akinola’s case) of about 2-3 games.  

I would have to be think that, in these times, if there is an opportunity to save a couple of mill. they will take that more seriously than they would have under different circumstances.

41 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Maybe they think that Akinola is ready to replace Altidore.   He would certainly be much cheaper and they both seem to play a similar game.  But that would be awfully risky given that we are talking about a sample size (in Akinola’s case) of about 2-3 games.  

I would have to be think that, in these times, if there is an opportunity to save a couple of mill. they will take that more seriously than they would have under different circumstances.

Maybe if Ayo shows he can continue to score this year you let Jozy go. You could offer piatti a lesser contract and get TWO new DPs. 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, Mikmacdo said:

Maybe if Ayo shows he can continue to score this year you let Jozy go. You could offer piatti a lesser contract and get TWO new DPs. 

It makes sense, but then again if Jozy leaves there is no back up to Akinola. I would almost rather keep Jozy around and have both of them play together, or have one back up the other. Maybe we should get as much out of Jozy as we can, rather than move him on and re-tool (again). There will be a time for that in a couple of years, but maybe we shouldn't rush the natural phasing out of Altidore. 

If Jozy wants to go and its a real thing then you have to get a replacement, no matter what Akinola does this fall.  Having one decent striker, with a couple journeymen backing him up is not the way to win the league eh?  If its all baloney, he stays and Akinola bangs in another 4-5 goals to prove he is legit then TFC would be sitting pretty.  

40 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like Julian Dunn was loaned to Valour of the CPL (as was Dante Campbell from TFC II).

No doubt this will be conflicting news for the anti-MLS'ers and the anti-CPL'ers. Meanwhile I'll grab some popcorn.

Seems like a win win to me.  The kids get a chance at some pro soccer in front of the PEI faithful, and TFC gets some experience for the prospects.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Seems like a win win to me.  The kids get a chance at some pro soccer in front of the PEI faithful, and TFC gets some experience for the prospects.  

You mean the fake CGI stands with black lives matter everywhere....

What is this bizarre and twisted timeline we find ourselves in?

Well...at least Canada has a domestic league 😄

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like Julian Dunn was loaned to Valour of the CPL (as was Dante Campbell from TFC II).

No doubt this will be conflicting news for the anti-MLS'ers and the anti-CPL'ers. Meanwhile I'll grab some popcorn.

I'm confused why anyone would have a problem with this.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm confused why anyone would have a problem with this.

Well, I'm being facetious of course. Having said that, I recall talking about wanting to see MLS loans to CPL teams last year and other posters coming after me with pitchforks (here and in other forums), mainly devout CPL supporters (or more accurately, those who have it in for MLS) who didn't want to see the CPL viewed as a minor league in comparison to or in favour of MLS and viewed that loaning players out would contribute to that perception. There seems to have been more loans this year, though no doubt COVID has played its part. I forgot that Boskovic has also been loaned out and didn't know about Terique Mohammed until I checked wikipedia this morning and discovered he'd been loaned to Edmonton. The Whitecaps & Impact have also done some.

For me as someone who supports both leagues, it's all a win-win as someone else mentioned.

I dont think any of us want CPL to be viewed right of the bat as a "minor league" and too many loans wouldnt be good.  But if its a choice of Dunn, Boskovic, Mohammed etc sitting in TO with their thumbs up their butt or getting some real pro minutes, plus maybe raising the level of play in CPL...thats a no brainer, everyone wins.  And the MLS academies will always have some "spillage" so why shouldnt the CPL scoop up some guys that cant crack the MLS lineup as 20 year olds??  Hell TFC releases a few of these guys every year.  This year we can pick up Hundal, next year they'll cut Peruzza loose.  

With these loans occurring, CPL is starting to work out the way i hoped in my best wishes.  What i was worried at the start was that CPL would present and market itself as an alternative to MLS.  And with some of the talk that i was reading on this forum way back when (ie.: the campaign of MLS trash talk) my fears were starting to be realized.  Soccer in canada cant afford that kind stuff or else we could being back in the dark ages of no viable prosoccer In canada (ie.: post NASL of the 1980’s). 

CPL is just not at the same scale of operations as MLS.  Its just not, unless one is blind.  And, it probably wont ever be in our lifetime due to facilities, size of the markets...etc.   Scale is important.  Its important for proper development of talent, for setting proper goals for the talent, for feeding the national teams,  for ensuring that the talent that makes to the national teams is better prepared for international competition..etc.   But if CPL can develop talent and remain professional, then thats perfect. We need complimentary leagues,  not rival leagues.

Edited by Free kick

I will just say that while I appreciate giving minutes to Fraser towards the end of tonight's match against Vancouver, I'd rather he had thrown Jayden Nelson out there instead of Endoh in a game which was already 3-0 and where the outcome was pretty much certain. We know what Endoh can do (which is that he can unleash a pretty good shot if he doesn't take half an hour to release it), he's not young prospect anymore.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I will just say that while I appreciate giving minutes to Fraser towards the end of tonight's match against Vancouver, I'd rather he had thrown Jayden Nelson out there instead of Endoh in a game which was already 3-0 and where the outcome was pretty much certain. We know what Endoh can do (which is that he can unleash a pretty good shot if he doesn't take half an hour to release it), he's not young prospect anymore.

As a Canadian fan, I agree. I am sure Vanney still needs to make sure his players are happy with their playing time. I am sure every profession wants to play in every game.

On 8/14/2020 at 5:59 PM, Free kick said:

With these loans occurring, CPL is starting to work out the way i hoped in my best wishes.  What i was worried at the start was that CPL would present and market itself as an alternative to MLS.  And with some of the talk that i was reading on this forum way back when (ie.: the campaign of MLS trash talk) my fears were starting to be realized.  Soccer in canada cant afford that kind stuff or else we could being back in the dark ages of no viable prosoccer In canada (ie.: post NASL of the 1980’s). 

CPL is just not at the same scale of operations as MLS.  Its just not, unless one is blind.  And, it probably wont ever be in our lifetime due to facilities, size of the markets...etc.   Scale is important.  Its important for proper development of talent, for setting proper goals for the talent, for feeding the national teams,  for ensuring that the talent that makes to the national teams is better prepared for international competition..etc.   But if CPL can develop talent and remain professional, then thats perfect. We need complimentary leagues,  not rival leagues.

Well, the beauty of our sport is that they can be both considering the cup competitions where interleague play occurs. That's going to be a huge thing for critical mass to occur in the non MLS cities like Cavalry last year. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Well, the beauty of our sport is that they can be both considering the cup competitions where interleague play occurs. That's going to be a huge thing for critical mass to occur in the non MLS cities like Cavalry last year. 

In the the sence of playing for V-Cup?  ok.   But they cant be rival leagues in a business sence. Soccer is not big enough in North America to survive that.   Its not NFL Gridiron football.   

You cant have a situation where the public becomes confused as to what the top level competion is.  

Edited by Free kick

7 hours ago, Free kick said:

In the the sence of playing for V-Cup?  ok.   But they cant be rival leagues in a business sence. Soccer is not big enough in North America to survive that.   Its not NFL Gridiron football.   

You cant have a situation where the public becomes confused as to what the top level competion is.  

You are looking at this in a black and white perspective and on a macro level, which doesn't fit at all for the unique situation this country finds itself in.

• What constitutes being rival leagues in a business sense vs not being rival leagues in a business sense?
    • Technically all entertainment options like this are in competition with each other
    • Specifically in CPL's context, to you, what constitutes being rival leagues in a business sense vs not being rival leagues in a business sense? What are the parameters in your opinion?
  • The vast majority of clubs do not operate in MLS markets so the sport not being "big enough in North America" is a non-factor except for the GTA, which imo is probably big enough for multiple clubs despite Y9's early struggles out of the gate
  • What kind of fallout will happen if the public becomes confused momentarily before their inevitable google search on their smart phone? When will that confusion occur? When a club like Forge or Cavalry gain enough of a following that they are getting 20,000 plus supporters on a weekly basis with people witnessing that on national TV? I can imagine people getting curious seeing that occur and it not being a MLS match, but is that a bad thing?

Edited by Macksam

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I just need to rant.

Could post this on the David topic, since I didn't know he was looked at by TFC, but the reason I posted this year is because David's story and the rest of this guys tweets took the words out of my mouth on tfc's handling on transitioning their academy players to their first team.

During their time in Orlando, Vanney was interviewed about Okello and Nelson. Saying they earned it and the team doesn't do "handouts". It was short lived. Players haven't been called up in last 2 matches against fairly weak oppositions.

This mentality has bothered me. I can see that argument being made for developed players, but the kids? They do need handouts imo. Train as much as they like, they need real game experience to learn. Just like everything else in the the real world.

LAFC, one of the top teams in the league have been using 16 year olds in must win games. They were losing last night and opted to use the kids. Why is a team with similar expectations to tfc, okay using their kids while tfc isn't? And not just LAFC, the league in general have been using teenagers on a much more regular basis.

Okello signed for TFC when he was 18 years old. He's 20 now. In 2 years, he has manged a grand total of 66 minutes of playing time. Not even enough for a full match. Does that sound like progress? Is this how one of your top prospects supposed to grow? Isn't this enough proof that the "they need to earn it in training" approach isn't working? Your top prospect can't even get a full 90 in 2 years, the method isn't working! Not even going to mention Fraser situation.

Reason I'm saying all this is that, I think young TFC players will start to catch on to this. I have already see several current and former HGP's liking tweets criticizing Vanney's handling of youth players. That's a worrying sign. The appeal of playing for a professional team's academy in your own neighborhood is soon going to lose it's appeal, and it's honestly quite pathetic. Striker's shouldn't even bother attempting to stay here since they'll be replaced by DP's.

Really bothered me when they had a gathering last year with Manning at tfc's final home match. Multiple people asking them questions about the academy with the same bullshit answers of how "we have a great academy and we're dedicated to using them bla bla bla". They've said this for years now. Still no change.

We have a good thing here. Finally an academy with a professional team who have been putting some money into it. It's just sad how the management can't seem to figure out how to get these kids to play with the first team.

Side note, Wheeler was such a jack ass at that gathering, he even intervened in one of the questions and his response was "do you want to play your kids or win titles?" this guy is with CPL now with that mentality.

Good rant.  I was thinking this myself this week.  Are the other kids in MLS just better than TFCs??  How come 16-18 year olds are getting games elsewhere and we sit on them until they are 20? Would it really have killed Vanney to sit Zav or Endoh a couple games and throw a Dunn/Romeo or Okello/Nelsen on??  Would that have made the difference between making the finals or not? 

I am surprised that MLS hasnt adopted a rule like the CPL and had x number of u-21 minutes required.