TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

He's been frozen out at Espanyol I guess for injuries and also not being highly effective. But the team in general is not effective in attack and whenever they do have talent they sell it too quickly. 

They have academy players like Melendo who must make far less and can do the same job. 

Fans will like how he plays, he's a ball talent and heady and intense. For me he's better as a playmaker on the outside of the midfield. If he links properly with those around him it'll make TFC attractive to watch. 

TFC had Alex McKechnie, the Raptors vice-president of player health and performance, check out the Argentine winger. TFC team physician Ira Smith, orthopedic surgeon Tim Dwyer and assistant athletic therapist Shohei Miyauchi also examined him. As did John Theodoropoulos, orthopedic surgeon to both the Leafs and Blue Jays.

"No stone unturned," said Manning.

https://www.burnabynow.com/toronto-fc-puts-piatti-through-medical-ringer-before-signing-argentine-veteran-1.24071679

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

TFC hammered Colorado 4-0 in preseason play. Goals by Gallardo, Altidore, Osorio and Schaffleburg .

First half line-up: Toronto first-half XI: Quentin Westberg; Justin Morrow, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Mavinga, Auro Jr.; Jonathan Osorio, Marky Delgado, Liam Fraser; Alejandro Pozuelo, Erickson Gallardo, Jozy Altidore

Second Half line-up:

Alex Bono; Terique Mohammed, Laurent Ciman, Eriq Zavaleta, Richie Laryea; Adolfo Ovalle, Noble Okello, Tsubasa Endoh; Ayo Akinola, Jacob Shaffelburg, Patrick Mullins

Most interesting name for Canadian fans is Mohammed as the back-up left-back for Morrow with the loss of Morgan to RSL.

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Unfortunately no HG centre backs in action, although they have two in the roster. On the other hand minutes for Mohammed who doesn't even have a contract (yet). 

Looks like Romeo got some time.

19 hours ago, RS said:

Looks like Romeo got some time.

I missed that. Still not given enough minutes to get physically in shape, but at least he played. 

18 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Romeo should be the 5th CB, whats up with Julian dunn? they should loan him to York9 or something. 

This!

Why would they sign a kid two years ago and then not give him minutes at all (he barely plays for TFC2)?

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Achara scores again against the Galaxy....I think thats 3 goals in 3 games.  Maybe TFC doesnt have to shell out for a back up forward.  He looks like a beast and that chip against LAFC was sweeeeeet!  

At least he's making a case for himself. Kinda hard to ignore numbers like that.

All Delgado has had to do is run around alot and make some tidy back passes to make a case for himself.  3 goals in 3 games is making a case for being a #1 striker.  He looked like a man among boys at georgetown but who knows whether that would translate when he moved to MLS, but it sure seems to be.  I'm actually excited about this guy...much more promising than Mullins or Akinola.  

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Anyone else get the feeling Terique Mohamed will be the next homegrown signing and will be the back-up LB this season?

I was surprised to see him get the full game (same with Okello) but they seemed to empty the bench for the chicago game.  They dont have another FB to replace Morgan so unless Vanney is planning on moving Deleon, Zav etc over Mohamed is the logical choice.  It would be nice if he could make a breakthrough as Nelsen, Shaff Okello probably wont with all the competition for min in mid.  

Apparently by virtue of being one of the top 4 teams in the Eastern Conference last year who didn't make the CCL, TFC have been drawn into playing in that rather pointless "Leagues Cup" between MLS & Liga MX teams:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/20/2020-leagues-cup-details-released-mls-and-liga-mx-clubs-dates-and-format-unveiled

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Apparently by virtue of being one of the top 4 teams in the Eastern Conference last year who didn't make the CCL, TFC have been drawn into playing in that rather pointless "Leagues Cup" between MLS & Liga MX teams:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/20/2020-leagues-cup-details-released-mls-and-liga-mx-clubs-dates-and-format-unveiled

Saw on twitter that the Final for this stupid event is a conflict with the V's Cup finals.

55 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Completely pointless indeed.

37 minutes ago, mtroads said:

I know the games are useless, but I do enjoy watching the Mexican teams when they come up to Toronto. It would be nice if the games meant something, but I prefer it to watching Colorado or some other generic MLS team.

I would enjoy them if they didn't affect the other competitions TFC are in. These games always seen to be in the middle of important parts of the regular season or close to a Voyageurs Cup game.