TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry born and raised in Canada lived here all my life. But yes it’s nice to watch sports with Canadian players but I watch sports for entertainment purpose first of all, however, I’m not going to not watch a sport because no Canadian players are playing. I guess I’m a bit different then I’ll watch the MLS because first and foremost it’s a soccer league a sport I love and a team that represents my city is in the league . Moreover, I realize the level of MLS is not even close to the top leagues around the world but I watch because it’s soccer. I watch the CPL knowing it’s not a top league in the world because again it’s soccer could care less it’s not a top league. One thing you need to keep in mind the US just like Canada soccer is not a top 3 or even 4 sport it terms of people interested in watching . In both countries soccer as a spectator sport is behind American NFL style Football, baseball , hockey and baseball. Walk into a mainstream sports bar in the US and Canada and your lucky if you see soccer on any of the tv screens in the bar unless the World Cup is on. The worse thing that could ever happen and I know most on here would think it would be a blessing, would be if in some crazy way the MLS would fold and soccer became even less popular than it is now in the US. Think about this way , the last League of any stature in the US was the old NASL which was on a level of the same level of MLS it folded in 1984 and until the MLS came about in 1996 there was no real league at that level. Therefore , 12 long years of no real high level type league in the US , the perfect opportunity for a Canadian League to be formed and grow but it never happened. The CSL came and folded , it took the success of the 3 Canadian teams in the MLS to show people that pro soccer can work in Canada and thus the CPL was born.  The US and Canada are so connected unlike any two countries in the world it’s not a coincidence that both hockey , basketball and baseball we have Canadian teams play in mainly an American League and soccer is no different. The bigger soccer gets in the US the bigger it gets in Canada , you can hate all you want on the MLS and anything to do with American soccer but we want soccer to become more popular in the US because like it or not it helps soccer’s popularity in Canada to and that includes our very own CPL. Even if one day all three Canadian teams go play in the CPL we still need the MLS to stay strong and become more popular than it is today. 

I don't agree with this at all, I could care less how popular soccer is in the US, they have their own federation, league and supporters, bowling outdraws hockey on tv there, it's a different dynamic! Back in the day I would have partially agreed because the old NASL was all we had and we needed the league to be successful to continue to operate which it didn't even though The Blizzard were a strong club! Now we have the CPL there are lots of opportunities for Canadians to play at a good level, the handful of  higher earning Canadians in MLS would find a club to play for if our 3 MLS clubs packed up!

On 3/1/2020 at 1:00 AM, toontownman said:

Shame schaffelburg went off, was he injured or vanney sticking to a strict lets not to crazy, 2 canadians on the pitch rule?

Glad for ritchie. Not impressed by Auro today tbh. Think Ritchie has a chance as minutes again either rw or rb.

Injured (said Vanney post-Match). 17 yr old Nelson on the bench as well I suspect we'll get to see a lot more Canadians on the pitch this season.

54 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Injured (said Vanney post-Match). 17 yr old Nelson on the bench as well I suspect we'll get to see a lot more Canadians on the pitch this season.

Cheers, thats good news. I was pleasantly surprised to see Vanney rewarding Shaffelburg and Endoh for pre-season work. Good exemplar to the youngsters and squad players that the starting line up isn't a closed door. 

Is Nyal Higgins still with the club? Thought they might sign him for TFC II. Don't see anything yet. Might pop up at a CPL training camp if not. 

Delgado is constantly praised for his engine but technically he is much weaker than Osorio and probably even Fraser. He makes a few atrocious passes every game and gives the ball away easily.  Hopefully Fraser gets to start in the CDM soon and we can have Oso Poz and Gallardo?playing under Jozy with Liam pulling the strings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:25 PM, Bison44 said:

This sounds like a conversation we have on here.  Interesting that Manella is still pretty positive about TFC and the academy.  

Good old Kurt Larson when at the Toronto Sun an independent newspaper with no affiliation to TFC or MLSE , would not say a bad word towards TFC in his articles and now look at him . Would have had more respect for this guy if he spoke like this when at the Toronto Sun but doing it now nah too late bud. Forget how many times I emailed this guy when I would question some of the things TFC was doing on and off the pitch and this guy would always take TFC’s side . Lot’s of respect for a guy like Manella here though , here is a guy who was highly touted by TFC and then eventually let go. You would think he would have had a go at TFC but he didn’t , have more respect for a guy like Manella than this Larson guy , who hardly wrote one bad thing about TFC when at the Toronto Sun.

Larson and I had some epic Twitter battles over the years about TFC, he actually was quite critical of many aspects of the club (JDG, Ryan Nelsen, Julio Cesar) once TFC became Americanized it all changed and he, like many became a TFC apologist, that's when our battles began! Of course in his media role with the new league he is going to be singing a different tune, that's what he's paid to do, I have spoken to him many times in person and enjoy our conversations regardless of previous differences of opinion!

Thats what I try to remind myself.  He is being paid by the league, not an idependant journalist.  Even a beat writer has to maintain some sort of "cordial" relationship with the team despite possibly being critical.  In person he must not come off as the pompous ass he does online.  Invariably, watching the excellent onesoccer zoom videos, he is the one guy out of the four that pisses me off.  Get that toque back on Larson, everyone knows you are the only one who didnt bother to brush their hair before coming on air.  

On 4/17/2020 at 8:35 AM, SoccMan said:

Good old Kurt Larson when at the Toronto Sun an independent newspaper with no affiliation to TFC or MLSE , would not say a bad word towards TFC in his articles and now look at him . Would have had more respect for this guy if he spoke like this when at the Toronto Sun but doing it now nah too late bud. Forget how many times I emailed this guy when I would question some of the things TFC was doing on and off the pitch and this guy would always take TFC’s side . Lot’s of respect for a guy like Manella here though , here is a guy who was highly touted by TFC and then eventually let go. You would think he would have had a go at TFC but he didn’t , have more respect for a guy like Manella than this Larson guy , who hardly wrote one bad thing about TFC when at the Toronto Sun.

If you don't have much respect for Larson now you're certainly not going to want to know about his tattoo lol

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

If you don't have much respect for Larson now you're certainly not going to want to know about his tattoo lol

Spill the beans.  

17 minutes ago, RS said:

No he's not.

You are right, former managing director of content for CPL.  

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh thats cool, he is american.  I dont know if I would have put that logo on my body though.  

It is not a tattoo he is overly proud of, seemingly. Ben Fisk took a few playful digs at him for it too. It was pretty funny.

I hope he gives a cut to KJ.  What happened to "i'm ready for a new opportunity, i'm not afraid to go elsewhere..blah blah".  I guess curtis and vanney think he would be hard to replace.  Now KJ needs to let Fraser have a showcase interview where he details his readiness to move on and play elsewhere now that management has given Delgado the vote of confidence.

would love to say fraser should play more and be a starter..watched him in usl and he wasnt great..misshit many passes, unnecessary fouls in his half..also made nice plays but just has to improve and do much more to get to mls starter level..hes just not there right now..delgado starting on a overall winning team last 5 years..mls starter level on both sides of the ball for his position..simple as that..if the team was losing..but the guy is starting year after year on a playoff team

So we have Poz, Piatti, Bradley, Osorio, Endoh, Gallardo, SHafflebourg, Fraser, Deleon, Okello and Delgado, oops Nelsen and Lareya fighting for mid or wing minutes.  Delgado was on a 250g salary before this new deal.  This still is a salary cap league eh??  Where does Delgado fit in, and how does he rate the extra money?  Who is he beating out? Better offensively than Osorio? Better defensively than Bradley? Better winger than Gallardo endoh, Deleon lareya??  If he is up to 300+g, that is too much to pay for a multipurpose midfielder.  You've got a bunch of guys on smaller contracts to slot in for a smaller role this year.  If Delgado is so respected for starting for TFC, and he wants out, this was the perfect time to move him.  Now they are stuck with him, and TFC will prob end up moving at least a few of the others.  

he was and is a starter at dm/cm..pretty simple..very good defensively..hes the number 2 dm after bradley..pozuelo at forward or behind the forward..theres achara also so thats many players fighting for spots at wing  and forward but thats a good problem to have..weekly battles and whoever doesnt make it send them to play a usl game..deleon can also fight for fullback spots

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

would love to say fraser should play more and be a starter..watched him in usl and he wasnt great..misshit many passes, unnecessary fouls in his half..also made nice plays but just has to improve and do much more to get to mls starter level..hes just not there right now..delgado starting on a overall winning team last 5 years..mls starter level on both sides of the ball for his position..simple as that..if the team was losing..but the guy is starting year after year on a playoff team

Did you happen to watch Fraser vs the US at BMO? That performance alone at his age showed me the ceiling is very high, unfortunately so far it looks like he's not going to get those opportunities to improve even more at TFC!