York9 - Season Thread 2020

11 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Because they probably thought Easter Monday was a stat holiday lol

The little nuggets from various places kind of suggest that OneSoccer/Mediapro's got the ultimate say over CPL and the clubs on stuff like scheduling and tv, makes sense, we all remember when they decided not to show the 2nd leg of the Finals on CBC lol. 

I say the above more based off other little things I've heard and other topics, but to extend it to this one, as a semi-educated guess, I saw on Wikipedia that Easter Monday is a full holiday in Catalunya. And Mediapro being a Barcelona company. Lol. 

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Beggars belief that would have ever done anything else and think it was a sensible marketing strategy. The lower budget team is going to lose and lose badly if fans are forced to choose and no amount of flag waving is going to change that. 

Hope they also stop trying to force the Y9 vs Forge thing. Best to let rivalries grow organically. The Ticats vs Argos rivalry they were trying to emulate is something only one of the cities involved actually cares about and is also something that even in that city revolves around dislike of the larger neighbouring city rather than dislike of its nondescript outer suburban sprawl.

What I really got to realize this offseason was that the Y9 staff in fact do have a lot of similar little complaints about things the league or 1S imposes on the clubs. The TFC-Y9 schedule conflict was one of those things where, it's not huge by itself, but it's one of those things that contributes to a bit of a sense of frustration for both the fans and the club.

The club staff often makes or relays a lot of similar complaints the fans have to the league, they're bigger fans of the club than most of us, since they are doing this as their livelihood, and have every incentive for it to succeed. Something to keep in mind for lots of us for the future for sure. 

17 hours ago, nfitz said:

That seems a very bizarre time to do the season opener. Why not do it one of the three previous days during the weekend that everyone is off?

I've been thinking about it a little bit and Y9 has been doing a lot to try to bring out more York University students.  This could be the reason why the opener is on a school day. The home opener article yesterday also hinted at Friday games, I think this could be Y9 in particular.  You avoid TFC matchdays and hopefully attract students to the match.  Listening to Agnus above and he speaks about building the matchday experience and the Green Lions supporters group.  It's a good strategy in my opinion to build some atmosphere at the games.

16 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I've been thinking about it a little bit and Y9 has been doing a lot to try to bring out more York University students.  This could be the reason why the opener is on a school day. The home opener article yesterday also hinted at Friday games, I think this could be Y9 in particular.  You avoid TFC matchdays and hopefully attract students to the match.  Listening to Agnus above and he speaks about building the matchday experience and the Green Lions supporters group.  It's a good strategy in my opinion to build some atmosphere at the games.

York U. probably doesn't have classes on Easter Monday.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

The little nuggets from various places kind of suggest that OneSoccer/Mediapro's got the ultimate say over CPL and the clubs on stuff like scheduling and tv, makes sense, we all remember when they decided not to show the 2nd leg of the Finals on CBC lol. 

I say the above more based off other little things I've heard and other topics, but to extend it to this one, as a semi-educated guess, I saw on Wikipedia that Easter Monday is a full holiday in Catalunya. And Mediapro being a Barcelona company. Lol. 

Isn't Easter Monday a holiday across Canada? It was when I was growing up. 

It's a holiday here and in Valencia, Aragon, Baleares. But I'm not sure that'd be why Mediapro would schedule that way. 

3 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I'd say the core base of Y9 will still be soccer families in the York Region and North York, and I hope Y9 works to get a schedule that fits the soccer families' schedule as best as they can. Wednesday night matches were horrifically attended last year, I'd say Y9 should avoid all weekday nights except for Friday as much as they can. It's just too tiring to take the family out to a game after work and school, and there's too much overlaps probably happening with soccer practices and etc.

What I'm curious is what might work better between weekend afternoons and weekend nights. I can see a case for both. 

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

What I'm curious is what might work better between weekend afternoons and weekend nights. I can see a case for both. 

For me 7+ years ago, any time any place.

For me today, with 2 small children not interested in soccer, nights, because the kids will be asleep through most of it anyways.

For me in 5 years or so? Afternoons, if the kids are interested in going to games with me (big "if").

Friday night games are something Tranmere Rovers used to do in England to avoid playing at the same time as Liverpool or Everton. Suspect that's what may have inspired Angus McNab if he was behind this decision. Will be interesting to see how well it works for Y9. 7 pm kickoffs might be a bit early for people dealing with a Toronto commute before having a meal at home with their family?

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Friday night games are something Tranmere Rovers used to do in England to avoid playing at the same time as Liverpool or Everton. Suspect that's what may have inspired Angus McNab if he was behind this decision. Will be interesting to see how well it works for Y9. 7 pm kickoffs might be a bit early for people dealing with a Toronto commute before having a meal at home with their family?

Bring the family, have hotdogs at the game, and still be not too late for bedtime. Works.

Edited by CanSuffer
grammar

30 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Rayo Vallecano did noon game on Sundays to avoid RM and Atlético.

Either way, I am convinced that Mediapro looked at this carefully with the CPL. Footie fans on weekends have a lot of early morning to mid-afternoon options in front of the television. There might also be MLS. They thought this could be a way to avoid other football and even sports commitments, although there are CFL games on Fridays habitually.

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I'm probably the only Argos and y9 season ticket holder and there's no conflicts I believe. 

I don’t know what their home game schedule looks like but one team that has probably already caught up to the Argos in terms of real actual attendance is Toronto’s Rugby League team the Wolfpack. They play out of Lamport Stadium and last year were pretty close to selling out most of the close to 10000 seat stadium that Lamport has playing in the second division of England’s Rugby League . I would imagine this year with their promotion to England’s top league that most of their home games should be close to sellouts again. I’m thinking the Wolfpack have already taken some fans away from even TFC and are slowly becoming Toronto’s 5th most popular pro team behind TFC and even in front of the Argos from the looks of it. Therefore, the Wolfpack might also be a team that all three GTA  teams TFC,Argos and York 9 might also want to avoid scheduling games at the same time in the future.

Edited by SoccMan

Looks like Mo Babouli was offered a contract by York 9 but I’ve learned from a good source that he turned it down , he was looking for more money. Therefore, can’t see any other CPL team offering more than what York 9 offered , which tells me he probably wanted enough money to make it worthwhile to continue playing pro soccer full time rather than getting a full time job in the real world. Unless another CPL team offers him more money I’m thinking he is done playing pro soccer full time and most likely gets a job outside of pro soccer. Don’t see him going anywhere else USL or even outside of North America at his age.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I don’t know what their home game schedule looks like but one team that has probably already caught up to the Argos in terms of real actual attendance is Toronto’s Rugby League team the Wolfpack. They play out of Lamport Stadium and last year were pretty close to selling out most of the close to 10000 seat stadium that Lamport has playing in the second division of England’s Rugby League . I would imagine this year with their promotion to England’s top league that most of their home games should be close to sellouts again. I’m thinking the Wolfpack have already taken some fans away from even TFC and are slowly becoming Toronto’s 5th most popular pro team behind TFC and even in front of the Argos from the looks of it. Therefore, the Wolfpack might also be a team that all three GTA  teams TFC,Argos and York 9 might also want to avoid scheduling games at the same time in the future.

I went to a couple of wolfpack games,it's a good time but they haven't passed the Argos yet. They also gave out a ton of free tickets last year. There was a code out there for students to go to any game for free last year. You could literally get season tickets for free. 

I wonder how well they will do this year attendance wise, they haven't won a game this season. 

Will they give out a lot of comps this year? 

• RS locked this topic