York9 - Season Thread 2020

Apparently Doner is back next season, though nothing official has come out from the team. 

Replacing Telfer isn’t going to be easy and probably shoes too big for any one new signing to fill. 

What happens with the international spots will be interesting league wide but Gattas, Murofushi and Adjei would all be over the rumoured 25 year old threshold. 

All of Y9’s U21’s from this season won’t be U21’s next season. At least three new young signings are needed and will be expected to make an impact. 

8 hours ago, Lofty said:

Is Telfer gone for sure or is that speculation? As a Valour fan I'll be glad to see the back of him! 😂

We all want to see CPL stars moving up but if CPL have arranged it so that they move up without any transfer fee to CPL then that is poor management. These one year contracts do not seem to be in CPL's best interests.

Point taken about 1 year contracts but Telfer was a loan so York9 was never going to be compensated for him moving up

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

Is Telfer gone for sure or is that speculation? As a Valour fan I'll be glad to see the back of him! 😂

We all want to see CPL stars moving up but if CPL have arranged it so that they move up without any transfer fee to CPL then that is poor management. These one year contracts do not seem to be in CPL's best interests.

Yes, Telfer was a loan. His contract with TFC is apparently up on Jan 1 but based on his play and international call ups I would expect him to have some suitors outside CPL. 
In the first year of the league one year contracts make sense. You don’t want to be tied down long term when you don’t know the level of the league or the actual revenue clubs start making.  I suspect many were one year with options. 

9 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Point taken about 1 year contracts but Telfer was a loan so York9 was never going to be compensated for him moving up

Don’t get Lofty started on loans. You are making his point for him. He has said in the past that in his opinion loans are terrible for the receiving team precisely because they develop a player for someone else and then get no transfer fee when they leave.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Exactly. If CPL continue to see loanees moving on like this they will soon come to be seen as a development league and that would be very bad.  

Hasn't the league stated it wants to be a development league?

God forbid some day we should be as good as the Eredivisie who are seen as a development league.  That would be terrible for Canadian soccer!

On 11/3/2019 at 3:44 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Depends on the quality of the loans. Was the league weakened or strengthened by having Telfer and Welshman? Shaffelburg in Halifax is an obvious one that could work out well for all parties next season.

Lots of good clubs in top leagues loan players both in and out of their clubs. It’s all pretty normal stuff. 

On 11/2/2019 at 9:10 PM, Kent said:

Don’t get Lofty started on loans. You are making his point for him. He has said in the past that in his opinion loans are terrible for the receiving team precisely because they develop a player for someone else and then get no transfer fee when they leave.

The entire football world runs on loans. La Liga, which is either #1 or #2 in the world depending on who you ask, is literally jam-packed with loanees. Serie A the same with either loanees or co-owned players, I forget if they got rid of the latter. If UEFA implements a restriction on loanees later on, it might look different, but that's how it's been for awhile. It's borne out of financial necessities, I can't call that terrible at all.

Having Telfer on loan from TFC for 2019 was a massive boost for Y9 overall, pros and cons considered.

Edited by ironcub14

On 11/3/2019 at 12:11 AM, Lofty said:

It is a question of priorities.

Competitive league with an emphasis on player development: Good.

Primarily a player development league: Bad.

To develop young players to a level where you can sell them either to MLS or Europe, you have to have a competitive environment/league. I don't see this as an issue as long as the clubs keep reinvesting most of the sale proceeds on players.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:15 AM, Lofty said:

Becoming a place for other leagues to develop their players via loans: also bad.

The Eredivisie Clubs getting Chelsea and Man City loanees aren't complaining. They raise the level of the league.

Sometimes, if they are just beneath the level of their parent club, they can even sign such players after a loan. 

With a few other clubs starting to release players and the off-season player tracker up on the CPL website I don't think it will be long until we hear of a few Y9 departures.

Just based on how often they saw the field in the Fall season I would say Rollocks, Cox, Estevez and Silva are all candidates to be released.  Based on performance I could see the club parting with Adjei and Abzi getting an opportunity elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

With a few other clubs starting to release players and the off-season player tracker up on the CPL website I don't think it will be long until we hear of a few Y9 departures.

Just based on how often they saw the field in the Fall season I would say Rollocks, Cox, Estevez and Silva are all candidates to be released.  Based on performance I could see the club parting with Adjei and Abzi getting an opportunity elsewhere.

Cox has looked great the little minutes he played, so if he was gone - I'd only do it for his injury issues.

Estevez is still developing, he's shown glimmers of talent but consistency has been an issue. But considering how great he played against Australia in the WCQ, I'd say he's on the spotlights of a lot of HK/Taiwan/Chinese clubs (where they have specific domestic slots for Taiwanese players - or in the case of HK, Asian slots). I'd try to develop him for another year and try to fetch a transfer fee from E. Asia.

Rollocks disappointed me considering how well he's played in L1O. Silva has looked fine when he came on - just a victim of Ingham being so good. 

17 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Cox has looked great the little minutes he played, so if he was gone - I'd only do it for his injury issues.

Estevez is still developing, he's shown glimmers of talent but consistency has been an issue. But considering how great he played against Australia in the WCQ, I'd say he's on the spotlights of a lot of HK/Taiwan/Chinese clubs (where they have specific domestic slots for Taiwanese players - or in the case of HK, Asian slots). I'd try to develop him for another year and try to fetch a transfer fee from E. Asia.

Rollocks disappointed me considering how well he's played in L1O. Silva has looked fine when he came on - just a victim of Ingham being so good. 

I agree with you on all of your points, mine are all purely speculation.  I like the roster that has been put together but it obviously wasn't enough to keep up with Forge and Cavalry.  Brennan put out a very consistent team every week so it is hard to get a reading on how highly they rate their depth players. 

The facts are that room will need to be made for at least 3 domestic U21 players and Y9 ended the season with 22 on the roster.  They were the only club to carry 3 keepers and with the emergency call up mechanism we saw I don't see why you would carry three.  Vance or Silva will likely be released, based on Vance getting in the final game I threw out Silva.  

November 11, 2019 Rocket Robin's Soccer in Toronto 2019 Review at www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o133.htm
I attended 77 games around the GTA including all the York 9 FC, Toronto FC II, Toronto held Canadian National team, and forty League 1 Ontario games.
You can read all my game reports for free! 

Edited by Rocket Robin

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

November 11, 2019 Rocket Robin's Soccer in Toronto 2019 Review at www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o133.htm
I attended 77 games around the GTA including all the York 9 FC, Toronto FC II, Toronto held Canadian National team, and forty League 1 Ontario games.

Wow... you are a hardcore fan! 

5 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again your dedication to the game in the GTA should be recognized. For years you’ve been covering what no one else does. It’s a niche market but I’ve enjoyed reading your match reports over the years. 

• RS locked this topic