York9 - Season Thread 2020

20 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I could see either starting but Arnone was hfx's player of the year so he's pretty good. 

I thought a lot of fans wanted to keep seeing Gogarty over Thompson if anything. My opinion is that Gasparotto was for most of the season Y9's key player, and he was carrying the defense often at times along with Ingham. Could definitely see a battle between Thompson and Arnone for sure. 

51 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I said this on the Y9 thread on Discord as well, but any player with Copa Libertadores experience, especially so recently, I'd expect any such player to come to CPL and be a top-level player here, if not flat out kill it.

The CPL is just not that high a level at all, I'd fully expect the Peruvian top flight to be leaps and bounds above CPL as of 2019, the number of individual mistakes I saw on a weekly basis in the CPL was astounding at times. Hoping 2020 is higher quality with the relatively high quality signings for CPL we've seen, such as Ugarriza. 

I feel this way about MLS frankly. Mind you I mostly watch Whitecaps.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

MLS is like that a lot. Minus the DP and TAM/GAM players.

Depends a lot on the coaching, and pay I think. Unlike top world leagues where two teams down low in the table will still give you a high quality match, in MLS, if you are not dealing with the best quarter of teams or so, you will see a lot of poor football. 

I honestly do think pay matters too, MLS is maybe 70% journeymen filler to help cover the costs of the DPs and whatever Ps, the raw material is not very good unless you have superior coaching able to mold it.

At least CPL is more compensated, there are lots of errors on the pitch, also because of youth I think and maybe because of watching 7 completely new teams, but there is not this obnoxious breach between the guys being paid 2.2 million and the others at 140 thousand covering the prima donna's butts.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

23 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

York9 signs max Ferrari from aurora FC. It looks like he played for Humber who is a powerhouse. Maybe the college system has some gems in it. 

Yup Ferrari signs a player with lots of potential, reminds me a lot of American player Jordan Morris who plays for the Seattle Sounders. Yes played this past season for the Humber Hawks a power house in the college game in Canada winning Ontario and Canadian championships almost on a yearly basis the past 10 years . Incidentally Humber and Aurora FC of League one are coached by the same coach who was influential in pushing Max to the the next level. Basically what a league like League 1 Ontario and even soccer at a powerhouse school like Humber is all about getting these talented  players  like Max Ferrari showcased to the next level like the CPL.

So this new jersey replaces the white one from last year? I was thinking the green was the home jersey last year. I like this new one better than the green, but not as good as the white from last year.

Anyone else see that Forge has 6 stripes on their new jersey for the 6 municipalities they are targeting? So now TFC and Forge are both stealing marketing strategies from the lowest attended pro club in the country :D

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

York9 signs max Ferrari from aurora FC. It looks like he played for Humber who is a powerhouse. Maybe the college system has some gems in it. 

I would say that all colleges can compete or are better than their university counterparts, save for maybe York University, who generally dominate. At least in Ontario, Sheridan, Humber, Algonquin would likely beat most universities. Hopefully the draft includes colleges in a couple years.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Anyone else see that Forge has 6 stripes on their new jersey for the 6 municipalities they are targeting? So now TFC and Forge are both stealing marketing strategies from the lowest attended pro club in the country :D

Forge talked about the 6 community in the six stripes of the hammer handle last year. So not new.

• RS locked this topic