York9 - Season Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

...Look forward to seeing Ferrari on the field.  The college system in Canada is very underrated...

Agree that you are probably every bit as likely to find pro level players at colleges as you are in U-sports and it was a bit odd to see them emphasizing one level of tertiary education so much but not the other. I'm a bit out of the loop these days but the Fanshawe team in London definitely always used to be up there with the Western team. There was too much of a CFL mentality in year one in some aspects of what the league was doing, but they will no doubt slowly adjust to more of a soccer one over time.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

11 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Sharing a tweet/article from Northern Tribune, which is a fantastic follow for Y9/CPL stuff by the way. They confirm with McNab that Mo wasn't offered a contract, and that Cox likely not returning, and Springer still in a limbo.

I’m not surprised. I never thought he was really up to the level that others were ascribing to him. 

This Angus McNab guy is a breath of fresh air. He knows that particular rumour had to be slapped down because of the impression it leaves. It does seem to have boiled down to how much money he wanted though, so not sure the not offered a contract bit is the full story if numbers were being actively discussed with his agent:

Mo’s a great, great kid, and he’s had a really rough time of it for the last couple years. We were more than happy for him to come in and train and work with the team. It just wasn’t a fit with what he was looking for at the time and what we’re looking to do. We moved on with plans in the international market in his position, and for better value, younger, better resale value, quite frankly, that we felt like we could get. It just didn’t work out with Mo on that basis.

Angus McNab

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This Angus McNab guy is a breath of fresh air. He knows that particular rumour had to be slapped down because of the impression it leaves. It does seem to have boiled down to how much money he wanted though, so not sure the not offered a contract bit is the full story if numbers were being actively discussed with his agent:

Mo’s a great, great kid, and he’s had a really rough time of it for the last couple years. We were more than happy for him to come in and train and work with the team. It just wasn’t a fit with what he was looking for at the time and what we’re looking to do. We moved on with plans in the international market in his position, and for better value, younger, better resale value, quite frankly, that we felt like we could get. It just didn’t work out with Mo on that basis.

Angus McNab

I'm with you on McNab.  He's not wrong in this instance.  We all have images of Babouli from his time with TFC but that was a long time ago.  He has barely played over the last few years (aside from the indoor league) and some were talking about him as though he should be an automatic starter in this league.  Babouli is yet another example of a player that needed a CPL a few years ago.   

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Sharing a tweet/article from Northern Tribune, which is a fantastic follow for Y9/CPL stuff by the way. They confirm with McNab that Mo wasn't offered a contract, and that Cox likely not returning, and Springer still in a limbo.

I agree, fantastic site if your a fan of the league.  I'm always checking their site.

February 17, 2020 York 9 FC Fan Forum and Kit Reveal night. All the audio from the presentation and Q&A. MC Luke Wileman with Angus McNab, Jimmy Brennan and Paul Stalteri. Lots of pictures too! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york020.htm Finally an answer to why York has no home games after Labour Day. Could be a problem is York makes the post season.
Edited by Rocket Robin

2 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:
February 27, 2020 York 9 FC Fan Forum and Kit Reveal night. All the audio from the presentation and Q&A. MC Luke Wileman with Angus McNab, Jimmy Brennan and Paul Stalteri. Lots of pictures too! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york020.htm Finally an answer to why York has no home games after Labour Day. Could be a problem is York makes the post season.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So the stadium renovations start on Sep 10th. Could make things interesting on playoff venues for Y9. Hopefully unmarked fieldturf is going to be involved given the York Lions gridiron team are going to be playing there in future.

McNabb actually said that the some of the preliminary construction work was slated to begin starting Sep 10 at the earliest and that they had to avoid that time in the scheduling. Implying that construction schedule wasn't totally confirmed yet.

Furlano is on trial this pre-season with Cavalry.

The more I look at our roster the more I like the flexibility we have.  I think we will see some more flexibility in the tactics deployed this year. Tough away trips like Cavalry or Forge we'll be able to adjust rather than just try to keep going with the same plan game in game out. 

I'm also really not liking the four game away trip to end the season.  Lucky to avoid Forge and Cavalry but I expect the league to be much tighter, a slide in those last weeks could cost us.  

37 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Furlano is on trial this pre-season with Cavalry.

The more I look at our roster the more I like the flexibility we have.  I think we will see some more flexibility in the tactics deployed this year. Tough away trips like Cavalry or Forge we'll be able to adjust rather than just try to keep going with the same plan game in game out. 

I'm also really not liking the four game away trip to end the season.  Lucky to avoid Forge and Cavalry but I expect the league to be much tighter, a slide in those last weeks could cost us.  

I think the four game away trip is due to construction at York lions stadium. 

I could see a 3-5-2 formation in games at forge or cavalry. But honestly I'm not sure they will be dominant like last year. I feel like they both got worse or maybe stayed the same but pretty much every other team looks much better. They also had an advantage of having sigma and foothills. 

I wouldn't be shocked if y9 and Pacific are at the top. Halifax even picked up some intriguing attackers. 

39 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think the four game away trip is due to construction at York lions stadium. 

I could see a 3-5-2 formation in games at forge or cavalry. But honestly I'm not sure they will be dominant like last year. I feel like they both got worse or maybe stayed the same but pretty much every other team looks much better. They also had an advantage of having sigma and foothills. 

I wouldn't be shocked if y9 and Pacific are at the top. Halifax even picked up some intriguing attackers. 

I get it, outside things are effecting the schedule but it doesn't matter why the season finishes on the road.  It is what it is. 

I'm with you on this year being much tighter which is exactly why I think the four game road trip is a concern.  I have Y9, Cavalry, Pacific and Forge in the top four but it will be tight.  I can see Y9 going into the last month in one of the top 3 spots but the others will be breathing down their neck any slip up could see them on the outside looking in. 

Y9 has Edmonton, Valour, HFX and Ottawa at home in four of the first five games of the season.  Coming out of the gates on fire this season will be important. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

I am totally unable to tell if teams are getting better or worse during the offseason. The vast majority of players coming into the CPL and York 9 specifically are players I haven't seen play before, and I learned from following TFC that players you have never seen before can sound good even if they aren't. Looking at where players played or what country they are from was all it took for me to get excited about players like Javier Martina, John Bostock, Darren O'Dea, or even Andy Iro. I'll wait and see how things shake down, but I am definitely excited to find out!

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am totally unable to tell if teams are getting better or worse during the offseason. The vast majority of players coming into the CPL and York 9 specifically are players I haven't seen play before, and I learned from following TFC that players you have never seen before can sound good even if they aren't. Looking at where players played or what country they are from was all it took for me to get excited about players like Javier Martina, John Bostock, Darren O'Dea, or even Andy Iro. I'll wait and see how things shake down, but I am definitely excited to find out!

I think the key this year is that teams seem to be getting better foreign players thanks to the new scouting system. Generally I think there are a number of players that are high quality foreign players coming in with very few that don't look great based on previous resume. One that stands out for me is Zetterberg from FC Edmonton. I don't predict he will be great

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I think the key this year is that teams seem to be getting better foreign players thanks to the new scouting system. Generally I think there are a number of players that are high quality foreign players coming in with very few that don't look great based on previous resume. One that stands out for me is Zetterberg from FC Edmonton. I don't predict he will be great

But my point is that I have no idea how good those foreign players are. Maybe Vasconcelos is amazing. Maybe he isn't. I've never watched him play, so I really don't have any idea. Heck, I thought Haber and Issey would be really good last year and I HAVE seen those guys play a bunch of times and I was totally wrong.

So in summary, I would be a horrible scout.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

But my point is that I have no idea how good those foreign players are. Maybe Vasconcelos is amazing. Maybe he isn't. I've never watched him play, so I really don't have any idea. Heck, I thought Haber and Issey would be really good last year and I HAVE seen those guys play a bunch of times and I was totally wrong.

So in summary, I would be a horrible scout.

In fairness we all thought the level would be lower. Clearly it is higher than Singapore where Issey was ripping it up and not far off Scottish Championship where Haber was putting up lower numbers

37 minutes ago, Kent said:

C'mon Kent, remember that Martina cracker vs Portland?

I agree with you.  It is hard to tell how incoming players will do.  That is all over the world regardless of league, flops are going to happen. 

With the 21st Club association I would think that clubs have been able to cast a wider net in scouting internationals than last year.  The pedigree of the internationals coming in are better but whether that means they will be better in a Y9 strip you can't tell at this stage.  

Edited by Stouffvillain

• RS locked this topic