York9 - Season Thread 2020

I really liked both kits last year.  Own the green!

I don't see them going away from the green kit this year.  I could see them going with a black kit over the white but I don't think they go one black and one white leaving out the green.  

Black with 9 thin vertical green stripes running from the shoulder down could look really sharp. 

9 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

My xl is about the same size as a old TFC jersey. Maybe they updated the sizing. 

Or maybe I’m just fatter than I like to think 😕 

I don’t think so though... I’m definitely festively plump, but I normally wear an XL TFC jersey pretty comfortably, but my XXL York 9 jersey is uncomfortably form fitted. Maybe it’s not so much a sizing issue as it is a fabric/design issue; the thing fits but it feels like a bloody pair of spandex leggings on my torso! Not flattering (on me at least). 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

If rumours are correct York9 signing a pretty decent young player who played with Aurora FC in League 1 Ontario last year and came through Aurora soccer from an early age, kids got loads of potential. Plays mainly as a right sided wide midfielder .

Backup for petrasso? 

I think Springer is still with the team. But they still need to sign a young defender. 

On 2/15/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ams1984 said:

Or maybe I’m just fatter than I like to think 😕 

I don’t think so though... I’m definitely festively plump, but I normally wear an XL TFC jersey pretty comfortably, but my XXL York 9 jersey is uncomfortably form fitted. Maybe it’s not so much a sizing issue as it is a fabric/design issue; the thing fits but it feels like a bloody pair of spandex leggings on my torso! Not flattering (on me at least). 

"Festively plump" - I'm borrowing that.

Sadly, Macron sizes and fabrics are really not conducive to casual wear unless you're 5'9 and 160 lbs.

I think they've done a good job with the jerseys - they're nice looking - but it may have made more sense to go with a manufacturer with a more North American friendly shirt profile for the jerseys (if that option even existed.)

8 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

"Festively plump" - I'm borrowing that.

Sadly, Macron sizes and fabrics are really not conducive to casual wear unless you're 5'9 and 160 lbs.

I think they've done a good job with the jerseys - they're nice looking - but it may have made more sense to go with a manufacturer with a more North American friendly shirt profile for the jerseys (if that option even existed.)

No one makes noise about this, but slim fitting is become discriminatory against men the way teen and young clothing is short on "larger" sizes for women who have fairly normal body types. 

I ended up buying an XL Whitecaps shirt last year on sale, and I am not big, 5'7'' and weigh 165 or so. That is ridiculous, it is too long (a bit of a miniskirt), but I feel more comfortable that way. 

Macron seems to have imported their model for rugby shirts, which are very tight and form fitting, into their football shirts.

Solid signing.  I agree with you that he will push Thompson for a starting spot.  Y9 has really done a good job at bringing in quality all over the pitch.  Looking at Cavalry and Forge last year they, were always able to bring in a strong replacements as subs or during injury.  This year there is going to be real competition for minutes which is a great thing for a team that really finished the last season strong. 

Doner is the only one that doesn't have a direct replacement breathing down his neck at the moment but I don't expect that to last.  Someone will be brought into push him.    This is a very strong off season by Y9.

Edited by Stouffvillain

1 minute ago, Stouffvillain said:

Solid signing.  I agree with you that he will push Thompson for a starting spot.  Y9 has really done a good job at bringing in quality all over the pitch.  Looking at Cavalry and Forge last year they, were always able to bring in a strong replacements as subs or during injury.  This year there is going to be real competition for minutes which is a great thing for a team that really finished the last season strong. 

Doner is the only one that doesn't have a direct replacement breathing down his neck at the moment but I don't expect that to last.  Someone will be brought into push him.    This is a very strong off season by Y9.

I think Porter will be the backup RB. Y9 still has to fill a few u21 spots, i kind of wish the rule was for u23 players as the talent pool would be a lot bigger and you could grab players who just finished university. 

17 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think Porter will be the backup RB. Y9 still has to fill a few u21 spots, i kind of wish the rule was for u23 players as the talent pool would be a lot bigger and you could grab players who just finished university. 

U23 would be too easy. They would already have the requirements filled. If they keep Karajovanovic and Johnston around, they really only need one more U21 player anyway

I'm a big supporter of Carmine Isacco.  From what I've seen he's an outstanding coach who has success everywhere he goes.  He can be and should be considered for head coaching positions in the league but I think people make too much about him leaving.  People LOVE to hate on Jim Brennan as though the only experience he has in the game is playing FIFA on his playstation and attribute all success to Isacco.  Brennan played on good teams at a very high level, has gone through the proper process to obtain the proper coaching credentials.  He's paid his dues in the TFC academy and L1O coaching roles and is now getting his shot as a head coach.  Reading through player quotes you can tell that the squad respects and believes in what Brennan is selling. 

I don't think any other CPL club has players coming out an praising their coach and season goal of a championship as much as Y9.

Manella -  "I know Jimmy (Brennan) as well; he was my coach in the TFC academy when I was only 15. Having him behind me now and working with him again was obviously a draw to come back home and further my career."

“I spoke to Manny quite a bit and he gave me the insight of everything, the rundown for how the club works, and he had high praises for everyone involved and that stood out for me,”

“We’re coming for the title and nothing else,” Mannella affirmed. “With the core group of guys that Jimmy and the club has kept, we’re in for a treat because we’re ready. We’re going to go balls to the wall right away. We’re going for the championship.”

Petrasso - “After the season finished, York9 was my number one choice. I watched them play and they’re a good football team."

"I can fill in well and I’m looking forward to what he (Brennan) has to teach me this year.”

"I know Jimmy has got real ambitions to compete with the top two this year. After hearing about it and talking about it, I think I can come in and hopefully help fulfill that.”

Arnone - “Speaking to (Brennan), it seemed like a no-brainer from a footballing perspective.”

“But with the familiar faces, already being coached by Jimmy, it just made so much sense. I’m a competitor and I want to win trophies. York9 allows for that – it’s just special to be able to do that in your hometown.”

“I was really impressed with the system that Jimmy put together,”

“This squad can compete for the North Star Shield. I’m here to win trophies and I intend to do that.”

Aparicio - “When people write you off, sometimes you can relax and think you don’t have to get there. But because of all this talk of us building on an already-good team and getting better pieces from last year, I think it’ll keep getting better. We’re going for Finals.”

Not calling you out personally Gorilla, just letting some of the Brennan haters know that the players (who have to interact with him as a coach) like what Brennan brings in that role and they think they can be successful under him. 

I think it's more of Jimmy being the VP, Jimmy being a player in training, Jimmy being the guy behind Yorky lol, it was more a running joke at the beginning of the season when it didn't seem like we had much staff, and it was Brennan doing all the work or something. I don't see much hate or anything like that to Jimmy at all actually. The one thing I did think was that he was tactically a bit naïve or too experimental at the beginning of the season, before he settled on the 4-3-3. 

I was looking through the Y9 site quick, and noticed some interesting things. Such as, it does seem like McNab is fulfilling Ganzhorn's old President/CEO role. It was debated a bit before, and he's still officially a consultant, but by the look of the directory, it seems he's very much in the CEO role for sure. Also, it seems that Ganzhorn's and maybe even Brennan's stakes may have been bought out. A bit of a shame, but oh well such is business.

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/club-directory

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/owners-profile 

19 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Agreed that Porter can and may be the backup RB. And I guess another RB-type that would fulfill Furlano's backup RB role or even push Doner would definitely be a good addition for preseason. 

Regarding @Stouffvillain's post above, I admit I was unsure about Brennan before the season started. Maybe the way York9 were going about things in general. Also certain pomposity on Brennan's part, it seemed he was very self interested, or maybe cocky.

But those quotes are irrefutable and I am pleased if he is doing that kind of job with the young talent, all credit to him.

• RS locked this topic