York9 - Season Thread 2020

"We have a multi-year option on his contract and he is another player where we benefited from the league’s support with their international recruitment program in conjunction with the 21st Club"

This 21st Club has really helped the league increase the quality of the international players coming in.  Last year Adjei, Murofushi and Gattas were brought in and Murofushi.  This year the internationals seem to be of a higher pedigree and they are younger and may not have reached their peak yet. 

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I was wondering about this. I grew up in BC, so I wasn't sure what the youth soccer schedule looks like here in the GTA. I was assuming the majority of the games would be on weekend afternoons. It's not eh? 

All those under the age of 12 that are playing"competive"(developmental) soccer play in what OSA calls festivals.These festivals are played on Saturday mornings and afternoons. That is the main reason a friend who lives in the area only made it to 1 or 2 games last year. Pretty sure that OPDL plays most of the games on weekends.

10 hours ago, Shway said:

My only thing with Friday night games is a lot of L10, OSL, CSL, OYSL, OPDL games are on Fridays. 
That right there is taking a chunk of the soccer community away. So for guys who would potentially go to experience a game....they won't because they have a game themselves or have to take their kids to a game.

I think this is a massive point that hasn't been mentioned

I counted up the L1O schedule from the 2019 season.  

Regular season (16 teams with a 15 game schedule which meant each team held either 7 or 8 home games).  

Friday night hosting of games: 

North Mississauga    7 times   (including the night they won the Credit River Cup!)

Windsor TFC, Durham, Darby 6 times

FC London 4 times  

Aurora   1 time      all other teams none (although they might have been the visiting team)  

………………..……………………………………………………….

Easy to say London and Windsor are out of the York 9 fan range anyway.  Durham and Darby are in the Pickering/Whitby/Oshawa region (well east of Toronto so a tough drive to the 'west' side and arrive by 7pm).  

Looks like North Mississauga might have the toughest time...maybe 200 to 300 fans.  Tough for them to move dates because they ground share with Sigma FC at the Paramount Centre however....they are scheduled to move to their own grounds (although could be delayed just like the Toronto LRT on Eglinton)  even to the far side of Mississauga so fans will be further away from the York grounds/fan base.  Maybe changing their location to their own grounds they could choose a different day/night of the weekend. Because of the CPL now owns L1O that may be strongly suggested to them!  

………………..……………………………………………………………………………..

I will be squeezed because Toronto FC II plays all their home games (except the school day game) on Friday late afternoons.  Now thankfully because they have no stadium lights on the turf field they play on (not allowed to chew up the 'real' grass field) their games start at 4:00pm.  Mostly end by 6:00pm which then gives me an uphill sprint to the parking lot to get to York's stadium by 7:00pm.  That happens four times this season.  Also  TFC II schedule times are listed are so far all 'TBD'.  

York weekend games for me meant free parking as the lot north of Steeles was free those days to attract transit riders to travel to downtown Toronto.  

The other leagues I don't know about.   

On 2/22/2020 at 5:12 AM, SoccMan said:

Looks like Mo Babouli was offered a contract by York 9 but I’ve learned from a good source that he turned it down , he was looking for more money. Therefore, can’t see any other CPL team offering more than what York 9 offered , which tells me he probably wanted enough money to make it worthwhile to continue playing pro soccer full time rather than getting a full time job in the real world. Unless another CPL team offers him more money I’m thinking he is done playing pro soccer full time and most likely gets a job outside of pro soccer. Don’t see him going anywhere else USL or even outside of North America at his age.

So frustrating that the league isn't offering competitive wages. Another pro slipping through the crack considering he'd be a solid starter in the league. 

4 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

So frustrating that the league isn't offering competitive wages. Another pro slipping through the crack considering he'd be a solid starter in the league. 

The league is young and honestly y9 probably used the money offered to mo to sign ugarizza who I would rather have.

14 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Ingham

Doner - Gasparotto - Arnone - Abzi

Petrasso - Manella - Aparicio - Hamilton

Vasconcelos - Ugarriza

Apologies if I got a few positions wrong. What a team though!

The tend towards a 4-3-3 or even a 4-2-3-1 I think... and word is that Ugarriza will be the ‘target man’ (lone striker?) whilst Vasconcelos will likely float in off a wing. 

6 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

The tend towards a 4-3-3 or even a 4-2-3-1 I think... and word is that Ugarriza will be the ‘target man’ (lone striker?) whilst Vasconcelos will likely float in off a wing. 

Yep, default formation should be the 4-3-3 unless something major changes. Y9 played a bit of 4-2-3-1 last year, a bit of 5-3-2, and a very tiny bit of 4-4-2 I think. 

8 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Ya, I can't help but feel Thompson has been underrated. He was such a solid presence assuming he stays fit.

Not to mention that there is no point in throwing away any chemistry he accrued with Gasparotto for a guy who is not likely to be a huge upgrade

Thompson is probably going to start the season beside Gasparotto but he's no iron man that is going  to play every minute of every game.  Gasparotto shouldn't be expected to player every minute of the season again either.  There will be plenty of playing time for Arnone, it'll be up to him to take the spot away from Thompson.

Those 3 CB's plus Manella/Di Chiara as midfield options, I expect Y9 to have one of the toughest defenses in the league this year.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Big response to this tweet, 440+ likes and over 40 responses, don't know if I've seen that big of a  social media interest for another player for the CPL on twitter.

LOL

The VAST majority of the responding tweets in spanish are just taking the piss out of Ugarriza, my fav asking York9 to confirm if he is being signed to play football or for some other job, ha ha.  Ugarriza was a total let down last season for my club Alianza, scoring zero goals all year, and then being unable to sign on with another 1st div Peruvian team.  Bottom line is I don't expect a whole lot from him at York. 

There is a wealth of untapped talent in Peru, and it does not take a genius to see who the talented young players are in the Peruvian league.  Ugarriza being signed makes me think that those with the CPL or York who decided to sign him did not watch the league at all and maybe did not even see him play, as he was not a stand out player last season in any way shape or form.  Or perhaps they're only interested in players who have flamed out of the Peruvian first div, like Gutierrez with the Wanderers last year.

The CPL needs to start signing promising Peruvians as soon as they turn 18, before they start turning heads in their domestic leagues, basically before the players know their own worth.   

Well if his stock wasn’t low he wouldn’t be coming to CPL - that’s just reality at this stage.  Catch lightning in a bottle and move them on.  
He has played his whole career in the Peruvian first division and had one bad stint with his latest club ... that will happen.  At his previous club he was great so it’s not hard to see a 23 year old bouncing back...

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well if his stock wasn’t low he wouldn’t be coming to CPL - that’s just reality at this stage.  Catch lightning in a bottle and move them on.

Bang on. That’s the reality of the CPL. All the internationals coming in have warts. Do you think the LB that is rumoured to go to Valour is going from the first division in France to CPL because he’s turning down higher leagues?

You can see that he has talent. Surround him with the right players in the right system and he can prove those people wrong. 

19 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

There is a wealth of untapped talent in Peru, and it does not take a genius to see who the talented young players are in the Peruvian league. 

The CPL needs to start signing promising Peruvians as soon as they turn 18, before they start turning heads in their domestic leagues, basically before the players know their own worth.   

You’re right it doesn’t take a genius. If you’re an 18 year old who has shown top level potential other South American leagues will have noticed, you aren’t coming to CPL.

Prospects like Ugarriza and Vasconcelos are only on CPL radar and willing to come here because they didn’t fulfill the expectations they once had placed on them. 

39 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

LOL

The VAST majority of the responding tweets in spanish are just taking the piss out of Ugarriza, my fav asking York9 to confirm if he is being signed to play football or for some other job, ha ha.  Ugarriza was a total let down last season for my club Alianza, scoring zero goals all year, and then being unable to sign on with another 1st div Peruvian team.  Bottom line is I don't expect a whole lot from him at York. 

There is a wealth of untapped talent in Peru, and it does not take a genius to see who the talented young players are in the Peruvian league.  Ugarriza being signed makes me think that those with the CPL or York who decided to sign him did not watch the league at all and maybe did not even see him play, as he was not a stand out player last season in any way shape or form.  Or perhaps they're only interested in players who have flamed out of the Peruvian first div, like Gutierrez with the Wanderers last year.

I don’t get this... what’s wrong with signing a guy and trying to rehabilitate his career? Plenty of clubs sign players that haven’t quite planned out, but that they think show talent or potential. Maybe with a new club and a new chance, this guy can fulfill his potential. If that’s the case, York 9 will have signed a good player without much of a cash outlay compared to the alternative. 

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Big response to this tweet, 440+ likes and over 40 responses, don't know if I've seen that big of a  social media interest for another player for the CPL on twitter.

Mostly from Aliancistas who are criticizing, not realizing Peruvian football is a notch above the CanPL and also that he had good moments at other smaller clubs.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

LOL

Come on hermano... you're better than that.

Playing for Alianza is a bigger task than any club in the CanPL. Not only that but he was a backup at best. With less pressure and no toxic media like Peru's constantly attacking him, he will have a better time. Not only that but a lot of players that have joined CPL have had poor scoring records in their own leagues before joining. Look at Gattas. Prime example.

He's gonna do well here. Trust me.

I said this on the Y9 thread on Discord as well, but any player with Copa Libertadores experience, especially so recently, I'd expect any such player to come to CPL and be a top-level player here, if not flat out kill it.

The CPL is just not that high a level at all, I'd fully expect the Peruvian top flight to be leaps and bounds above CPL as of 2019, the number of individual mistakes I saw on a weekly basis in the CPL was astounding at times. Hoping 2020 is higher quality with the relatively high quality signings for CPL we've seen, such as Ugarriza. 

Just for a simple comparison's sake, looking at the 2018 season of some of our Y9/CPL faves. Telfer had 1 goal for TFC/TFCII all year. Gattas was barely playing in Chile's D2. Borges had 1 goal in L1O. List could easily go on. Very happy to see signings like Ugarriza and Vasconcelos and the rumoured Bouka-Moutou.

I love Y9 not because it's some high-quality pro football, but because it's our local pro club in our local pro league that we absolutely must support if we want Canadian soccer to grow. And it's been really fun to see a club build up from ground zero. 

• RS locked this topic