York9 - Season Thread 2020

It's a great move to take on Friday nights.  The guys in charge of this club aren't afraid to make changes for the betterment of the club.  Going all in on Fridays is a big deal too.  They aren't just having a game here and there but everyone knowing that Friday nights the game is on is a big deal.

I'm with @Kent 7 years ago, anytime any place.  Now with kids it's a different ball game, weekends are packed with all kinds of sports, functions, etc, Friday evenings are usually open.   Kickoff times are not so late that I wouldn't be able to bring my boy to the games.  Another thing about Friday nights, date nights.  My wife was all over the Friday night schedule for that reason, it's a great excuse to get out and then grab a late dinner.  

2 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Siucho is in China, he just changed his name and got a Chinese passport. Ugarriza is a free agent and I've been told by mates it is indeed him. We'll find out soon enough.

Sorry, I thought he parted ways with his Chinese club. Didn't know he planned to stay. Transfermarkt does have him without club since Feb 4 

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

UGarriza would be awesome. Y9's front 3/4 would be elite for the CPL. 

Keep in mind, Ugarriza would be coming from Alianza Lima, one of Peru's big 2 clubs. He was bad there but that's down to being a backup and pressure of the country's potentially biggest club. At UTC and Real Garcilaso he was great. He didn't score many but he did his job well and was very underrated by many here. In the CanPL, I can guarantee he'll score a lot.

By far the best of the 3 Peruvians in the CanPL if he joins.

8 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Granted it's only one video I've seen of him but he looks capable of filling the CF role that Adjei held.  The difference is that Ugarriza has much more to his game than just size.  The scoring record is concerning though.  

Not really, many players had a concerning scoring record before coming to the CanPL and did it well here. The standard in Peru is higher than in Canada even with all it's problems.

Edited by Ingham

1 minute ago, Ingham said:

Not really, many players had a concerning scoring before coming to the CanPL and did it well here. The standard in Peru is higher than in Canada even with all it's problems.

For sure, he looks like he is a good player.  I'm not saying he can't come in and score goals in this league, just doesn't have the track record at this stage of his career. 

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

I totally get how Friday's make sense. Especially now that TFC has abandoned the date.

The thing I find really interesting is that Forge have a ton of conflicts with TFC.

Hamilton lives in it's own bubble though. They hate being called a suburb of Toronto. So there's really no conflict with them since they don't identify as part of Toronto.

Only asking for the curiosity of it. This the first time I ever heard of this Ugarriza kid. We are all getting the info from @Ingham here in this thread, right? Or was his name mentioned anywhere else as well lol.

Not doubting you at all, I have zero background on the new signing. I'm just curious as to if we are all learning about him today from Ingham, or if he's someone people have talked about elsewhere as well. Basically, I'm always interested in how info first spreads from one place to another lol, thanks. 

6 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Only asking for the curiosity of it. This the first time I ever heard of this Ugarriza kid. We are all getting the info from @Ingham here in this thread, right? Or was his name mentioned anywhere else as well lol.

Not doubting you at all, I have zero background on the new signing. I'm just curious as to if we are all learning about him today from Ingham, or if he's someone people have talked about elsewhere as well. Basically, I'm always interested in how info first spreads from one place to another lol, thanks. 

Maybe he knows a few players or someone in management. 

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Maybe he knows a few players or someone in management. 

Oh, I'm not asking Ingham, I'm asking the rest of you guys here, lol. Like, did we all learn about Ugarriza from Ingham today, or have you guys heard of him on other discussions as well, that's all. Just for my curiosity. 

Just now, ironcub14 said:

Oh, I'm not asking Ingham, I'm asking the rest of you guys here, lol. Like, did we all learn about Ugarriza from Ingham today, or have you guys heard of him on other discussions as well, that's all. Just for my curiosity. 

Ah no I've never heard of the guy but it makes sense. U23 guy without a contract in a position of need. 

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Ah no I've never heard of the guy but it makes sense. U23 guy without a contract in a position of need. 

I actually guessed Ugarriza would go to Cavalry when I had been told they signed a Peruvian. I also thought Iberico was in the running. In the end they signed Cordova but my point is it doesn't shock me that Ugarriza will eventually end up over here. No Peruvian club snapped him up and he's under 23 so it only makes sense.

He's also a higher class Peruvian so chances are he knows fluent English.

My only thing with Friday night games is a lot of L10, OSL, CSL, OYSL, OPDL games are on Fridays. 
That right there is taking a chunk of the soccer community away. So for guys who would potentially go to experience a game....they won't because they have a game themselves or have to take their kids to a game.

I think this is a massive point that hasn't been mentioned

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

It's a great move to take on Friday nights.  The guys in charge of this club aren't afraid to make changes for the betterment of the club.  Going all in on Fridays is a big deal too.  They aren't just having a game here and there but everyone knowing that Friday nights the game is on is a big deal.

I'm with @Kent 7 years ago, anytime any place.  Now with kids it's a different ball game, weekends are packed with all kinds of sports, functions, etc, Friday evenings are usually open.   Kickoff times are not so late that I wouldn't be able to bring my boy to the games.  Another thing about Friday nights, date nights.  My wife was all over the Friday night schedule for that reason, it's a great excuse to get out and then grab a late dinner.  

For those of us who have been married for over 20 years, could you please explain the concept of "date nights"?

1 hour ago, Shway said:

My only thing with Friday night games is a lot of L10, OSL, CSL, OYSL, OPDL games are on Fridays. 
That right there is taking a chunk of the soccer community away. So for guys who would potentially go to experience a game....they won't because they have a game themselves or have to take their kids to a game.

I think this is a massive point that hasn't been mentioned

I was wondering about this. I grew up in BC, so I wasn't sure what the youth soccer schedule looks like here in the GTA. I was assuming the majority of the games would be on weekend afternoons. It's not eh? 

Edited by ironcub14

• RS locked this topic