York9 - Season Thread 2020

Multiculturalism has been around for 50 years now in a Canadian context regardless of whether the Conservatives or Liberals are in power. I'll take my cue from the Canadian state on what it means to be Canadian and part of what I have heard from that source is that you are allowed to keep your sense of identity from your country or countries of ancestry and doing so is in no way incompatible with being proudly Canadian. In an area of the GTA with a strong Italian-Canadian demographic there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Canadian soccer club fostering links with a Serie B club. Soccer is the world's game and being part of the global mainstream of the sport should be very much encouraged.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Multiculturalism has been for around 50 years now in a Canadian context regardless of whether the Conservatives or Liberals are in power. I'll take my cue from the Canadian state on what it means to be Canadian and part of what I have heard from that source is that you are allowed to keep your sense of identity from your country or countries of ancestry and doing so is in no way incompatible with being proudly Canadian. In an area of the GTA with a strong Italian-Canadian demographic there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Canadian soccer club fostering links with a Serie B club. Soccer is the world's game and being part of the global mainstream of the sport should be very much encouraged.

One of the really cool things about my view of the Canadian identity is that it is predicated on natural law freedoms, chief among them the freedoms of thought and expression. We disagree, that’s fine. 

And Pescara's social media admin for their official Italian Twitter account is Emanuele Garau, who is based in Vaughan, and other people may know more than me, but I think has definitely done some work with TFC in the past or something, or is at minimum a big TFC fan. He DMed the link to a bunch of us Y9 fans for us to share before Y9 even had the chance to share it lol. 

Whether it was just a meet and greet, or anything further than that that may even lead to a loan or two, or (in)formal partnerships or whatever, it's awesome to hear. Yep, that legendary Zeman team from ten years ago is always the first thing that comes to my mind for Pescara.

I mean, any player even on the periphery of a Serie B roster would come to CPL and kill it imho. Malonga being the obvious example, he probably came in the league with the best European club pedigree. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:07 AM, Ams1984 said:

Nothing wrong with affiliating with an Italian club I suppose, but I’m personally not a fan of ‘hyphenating’ identities. I’m not a Spanish-Russian-Canadian, I’m a Canadian. I think that Y9 isn’t an ‘Italian’ club. It’s a Canadian club from York Region, nothing to do with Italy. 

I’m told there are a few hundred thousand people, whose ancestors came from Italy, in Woodbridge and Vaughan. There are also a ton of people from Asian backgrounds in Markham, and a lot of people from Russian and Iranian stock in Thornhill etc. 

I know that there is a segment of society that is really interested in sub-dividing people into categories and groups for political reasons. Not me. I think that it’s far better for us all to just be Canadian. 

Im not ‘Italian’ (by the way, neither are the so-called ‘Italians’ in Vaughan or Woodbridge - I grew up with them, they’re no more Italian than anyone else) and I have zero interest in an ‘Italian angle’. 

Let’s all just be proud to be Canadian! 

Just re-read this, and while I appreciate the melting pot sentiment, I am a proud immigrant who will hyphenate my identity till the day I die. I will never forget where I came from, and I will never forget where I have settled down and made my roots, and I have already emphasized to my children the importance of both, they will have a hyphenated identity as well. It's not for political reasons whatsoever, it is all for cultural and biological reasons, and it's very much in root with the beautiful multicultural society of Canada. 

This being a Canadian soccer forum, I completely understand the sentiment that you and many others feel, of course there is a lot of pride in Canada, something I live and practice every day. But at the same time, I am incredibly proud to be a Korean-Canadian, and I will never forget my ancestors or my heritage. 

To relate it back to this thread, it would be pretty naïve to think that a team in Vaughan that has a number of Italian-Canadian players will not play up the Italian/Canadian angles time to time. The Y9 ads on TLN were on that channel as part of that marketing strategy. The friendship with Pescara is definitely a segment of that club strategy. There are a lot of 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ generation Italian Canadians living in Vaughan, with the city being the undoubtable base of this team, despite it being called York9 FC. And honestly, that is all fine with me, I think it's fantastic the club has chosen to go that way time to time. It plays in a Canadian professional league, giving hundreds of new opportunities to Canadian players, staff, media, etc, as well as those from around the world. It's all good. 

On 2/11/2020 at 9:01 AM, Ams1984 said:

One of the really cool things about my view of the Canadian identity is that it is predicated on natural law freedoms, chief among them the freedoms of thought and expression. We disagree, that’s fine. 

And part of having freedom of thought and expression allows Canadian citizens to have whatever culture they want and identify any way they want.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:07 AM, narduch said:

Pescara also had an amazing Serie B season nearly 10 years ago with Zeman as coach and Verratti, Insigne and Immobile on the squad.

Of course players like that don't stick around clubs like Pescara.

To be fair, Insigne was owned by Napoli and Immobile was owned by Juventus. They were just sent on loan, Verratti was the only player of those 3 to actually be owned by the club, he was sold after that season to PSG having never actually played a game in Serie A. 

4 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

To be fair, Insigne was owned by Napoli and Immobile was owned by Juventus. They were just sent on loan, Verratti was the only player of those 3 to actually be owned by the club, he was sold after that season to PSG having never actually played a game in Serie A. 

Regardless, for players like that to be entrusted to that club it clearly shows that they're doing something right.  A level like this is good to push CPL players through.  Teaming up with huge clubs is a bit of a pipe dream in terms of players moving on to play for them.

22 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

And part of having freedom of thought and expression allows Canadian citizens to have whatever culture they want and identify any way they want.

True. I’m just against the notion that we should, as a society, endeavour to destroy our national identity and replace it with silos of other national identities. As if that were somehow virtuous! Immigrants (most of my family included) presumably come here because they would rather be here than where they came from. God bless, welcome, join us, not the other way around. That said, I believe in freedom. If a person chooses to not integrate, that’s their right I suppose (though immigration to this country is a privilege that we extend to foreigners on our terms, not a right).

Edited by Ams1984
Autocorrect is stupid ;)

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Just re-read this, and while I appreciate the melting pot sentiment, I am a proud immigrant who will hyphenate my identity till the day I die. I will never forget where I came from, and I will never forget where I have settled down and made my roots, and I have already emphasized to my children the importance of both, they will have a hyphenated identity as well. It's not for political reasons whatsoever, it is all for cultural and biological reasons, and it's very much in root with the beautiful multicultural society of Canada. 

This being a Canadian soccer forum, I completely understand the sentiment that you and many others feel, of course there is a lot of pride in Canada, something I live and practice every day. But at the same time, I am incredibly proud to be a Korean-Canadian, and I will never forget my ancestors or my heritage. 

To relate it back to this thread, it would be pretty naïve to think that a team in Vaughan that has a number of Italian-Canadian players will not play up the Italian/Canadian angles time to time. The Y9 ads on TLN were on that channel as part of that marketing strategy. The friendship with Pescara is definitely a segment of that club strategy. There are a lot of 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ generation Italian Canadians living in Vaughan, with the city being the undoubtable base of this team, despite it being called York9 FC. And honestly, that is all fine with me, I think it's fantastic the club has chosen to go that way time to time. It plays in a Canadian professional league, giving hundreds of new opportunities to Canadian players, staff, media, etc, as well as those from around the world. It's all good. 

I get what you’re saying, and I’m not critical of your choice (not that my opinion really matters). I’d still rather that our club not adopt an ethnic affiliation. It’s unnecessary and divisive. It’s a Canadian club. Yours and mine. 

5 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I get what you’re saying, and I’m not critical of your choice (not that my opinion really matters). I’d still rather that our club not adopt an ethnic affiliation. It’s unnecessary and divisive. It’s a Canadian club. Yours and mine. 

And to add to this, judging by what I see....and I feel I have a good eye for judging someone's ethnicity, I think a majority of the spectators are already of the aforementioned background, which I'm guessing has to do with the location of the team and the roster make up. Y9 doesn't need to double down on an Italian angle, that community already gets it.

But for the sake of argument, if they were to go with this Italian angle, how would the club do it? Re-brand with a parent club in Italy not unlike what Ottawa did? Wear the colour blue? Sign a famous Italian?

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

Thanks man, and I too get what you're saying as well. I agreed with most of what you said just above it, the one that starts with "True." The only part I'll quibble with on that post is that I don't think most facets of multiculturalism involves anything close to destroying our national identity or etc. 

But to keep it related to Y9, I'd say I don't think either the TLN ads or the players we've acquired or the Pescara photo, any of that involves anything close to having adopted an ethnic affiliation, an Italian-Canadian one or whatever. And I don't think Y9 will in the future either. You can play to it time to time, but that definitely doesn't mean they have adopted it partially or fully or whatever. These cultural influences will come up time to time all the time.

I am pretty sure that even the name of this league, the Canadian Premier League, is an obvious homage to the English and the Scottish Premier League, that we in the V's forum were very much in favour with before we even knew the official name of this league. There will always be these influences seeping through in various ways time to time, and it's all good. 

I got an e-mail yesterday and the second year jersey reveal will be Thursday February 27, 2020 at Dave & Busters (two blocks south west of the Vaughan Centre subway stop (last one on the TTC University line).  They've been there before....their WC Final viewing party was there July 15, 2018!    You have to RSVP them for your reply.  

16 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Just wondering, if Atletico Ottawa's colours are "Federal" red, "Rideau" blue, and "Blanc", then what are the official names of York9's colours? :))

The official club colours are green, grey, and black (branded by the club as "electric green", "charcoal grey", and "black on black"). These colours symbolize the region's nature (in tandem with the club's environmental focus) and Black Creek.

I remember hearing this at the time but had forgotten it.  This I found on their Wikipedia page.  

Try ordering any of these colours at your local paint store!  

• RS locked this topic