York9 - Season Thread 2020

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

So y9 is playing Brescia in a friendly, in June. 

Meh? I guess it could get a few fans to checkout the team that wouldn't normally. 

If Ballotelli is still there it would be quite the draw

Edit: wait do you mean Pescara?

Edited by narduch

It's Pescara between June 3 and 11.  Ottawa is the other friendly they'll play.

https://www.pescaracalcio.com/in-cantiere-il-nuovo-progetto-canada2020/

Google Translate: Going into detail, at institutional level, agreements have been entered into with the Mayor of the City of Vaughan, Maurizio Bevilacqua, who has allowed them to make a twinning with the local team, York9 FC, which plays in the Canadian Premier League, and with whom most likely one of the two friendlies scheduled for June. The newly formed Ottawa team was then contacted, who will also participate in the CPL and act as a competitor for the second game.

31 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

It's Pescara between June 3 and 11.  Ottawa is the other friendly they'll play.

https://www.pescaracalcio.com/in-cantiere-il-nuovo-progetto-canada2020/

Google Translate: Going into detail, at institutional level, agreements have been entered into with the Mayor of the City of Vaughan, Maurizio Bevilacqua, who has allowed them to make a twinning with the local team, York9 FC, which plays in the Canadian Premier League, and with whom most likely one of the two friendlies scheduled for June. The newly formed Ottawa team was then contacted, who will also participate in the CPL and act as a competitor for the second game.

That’s pretty cool. I’d never otherwise have seen Pescara play in my life. Hopefully despite them not being a big club, the curiosity factor will attract some non-CPL fans to the game (hopefully exposing them to the CPL). Either way, no harm in it. 

11 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I'm a big supporter of Carmine Isacco.  From what I've seen he's an outstanding coach who has success everywhere he goes.  He can be and should be considered for head coaching positions in the league but I think people make too much about him leaving.  People LOVE to hate on Jim Brennan as though the only experience he has in the game is playing FIFA on his playstation and attribute all success to Isacco.  Brennan played on good teams at a very high level, has gone through the proper process to obtain the proper coaching credentials.  He's paid his dues in the TFC academy and L1O coaching roles and is now getting his shot as a head coach.  Reading through player quotes you can tell that the squad respects and believes in what Brennan is selling. 

Oh, to be clear, that was not a slight against Brennan. I mean, I did have apprehensions at the start of the season based on what some people shared re: his tenure at Aurora and the strange arrangements Iron and Unnamed alluded to. In the end of the day, I thought season 1 was a strong one, and it'd be unfair to pin that all on Isacco and not give Jimmy any credit based on pure speculation. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Question about a former player: what happened with Emmanuel Zambazis last season? He had a pretty high pedigree in Greece, was in the orbit of their u-21s I thought, had minutes in top flight. That should have pointed to success in CPL.

That experience was a bit dodgy as the club was owned by a family member or something like that. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Question about a former player: what happened with Emmanuel Zambazis last season? He had a pretty high pedigree in Greece, was in the orbit of their u-21s I thought, had minutes in top flight. That should have pointed to success in CPL.

He was not bad at all. Somebody asked quick about him on the Y9 channel for the CPL Discord as well, and me and another guy both agreed we would have liked to see him more. I honestly thought he was on par with both Di Chiara and Porter in the DM/CM positions. 

Want to say this, don't care how it's received. I know we finished 3rd overall in the end, but clearly the league had a massive chasm between Calgary, Hamilton and the rest on-pitch last season. I truly believe Jimmy's loyalty to Di Chiara and Porter in the midfield positions, for whatever reason it could be, whether because they were in fact superior in training, or salary reasons, or whatever, I truly believe that was easily our biggest on-pitch weakness for the whole season. 

Other people might say, no, it was Adjei and his lack of goals, but for me, Adjei did his part as a target man in terms of shielding the ball, and being a focal point to play off of, though he never found his shooting boots. No, for me, it was just the overall relative weakness in technique and ball control and decision making that Porter and Di Chiara especially had that was our biggest weakness. 

Edited by ironcub14

On 11/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, Big_M said:

Zambazis played 9 games in the top tier of Greece, 7 of them as a sub, and that was close to 3 years ago when his uncle was the owner of the club so it means very little on his quality

On 2/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, Big_M said:

His uncle was the owner of the club in Greece..all the games he played was in the 2015-16 season (2 starts in the league) when they were not under the threat of relegation..how come he didnt appear in the 14-15 season when they were in the 2nd tier fighting for promotion or in 16-17 fighting for survival..not hard to figure things out..if his level was anything near the top tier of Greece he would have been signed and announced long ago

4 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

He was not bad at all. Somebody asked quick about him on the Y9 channel for the CPL Discord as well, and me and another guy both agreed we would have liked to see him more. I honestly thought he was on par with both Di Chiara and Porter in the DM/CM positions. 

Want to say this, don't care how it's received. I know we finished 3rd overall in the end, but clearly the league had a massive chasm between Calgary, Hamilton and the rest on-pitch last season. I truly believe Jimmy's loyalty to Di Chiara and Porter in the midfield positions, for whatever reason it could be, whether because they were in fact superior in training, or salary reasons, or whatever, I truly believe that was easily our biggest on-pitch weakness for the whole season. 

I agree about the midfield was the weak point of the team last year. Porter to me is a wide player, probably better as a fullback but can fill in as a right winger. Manella should be an upgrade over Di Chiara. 

I hope to see a starting 11 of

Ingham

Doner-Arnone-Luca-Abzi

Manny-Manella-Murofushi

Petrasso-Vasconcelos-Hamilton(can move these guys around)

22 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Other people might say, no, it was Adjei and his lack of goals, but for me, Adjei did his part as a target man in terms of shielding the ball, and being a focal point to play off of, though he never found his shooting boots. No, for me, it was just the overall relative weakness in technique and ball control and decision making that Porter and Di Chiara especially had that was our biggest weakness. 

Porter is a steady-eddy, we've talked about him before, and last year was no exception in my eyes.  I thought he was never really spectacular but he was not horrible either.  He's never been a goal scorer but I think people looked to him for more offensively last year because Adjei wasn't what we expected.  

Last year there wasn't the quality of depth in the squad.  Guys like Zambazis and Cox disappeared, Estevez got hurt, Rollocks and Ricci didn't really push those ahead of him so we saw a lot of the same lineup.   Looking at the squad this year there is a lot of opportunity to put different lineups and formations together.  

It's a soccer message board, opinion and discussion is what it's about.  Share your opinions!  The 2020 Y9 thread has been much better this season than last because we're putting our opinions out there. 

3 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I heard from the club that they will actively make sure to avoid TFC home games as much as possible for this season. Based on the duality that exists for many of us, likely the smart call. 

Beggars belief that would have ever done anything else and think it was a sensible marketing strategy. The lower budget team is going to lose and lose badly if fans are forced to choose and no amount of flag waving is going to change that. 

Hope they also stop trying to force the Y9 vs Forge thing. Best to let rivalries grow organically. The Ticats vs Argos rivalry they were trying to emulate is something only one of the cities involved actually cares about and is also something that even in that city revolves around dislike of the larger neighbouring city rather than dislike of its nondescript outer suburban sprawl.

• RS locked this topic