York9 - 2019 Season Thread

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Market the team to students as well. 

NASL's Miami FC played at a university stadium and marketed heavily to the students on campus with cheap tickets, brought in 5k+ crowds, and they made revenue on the concession/beer sales to make up for the lesser ticket revenue.

Not sure what York9's arrangement is concession wise though but they should push to pull in students for sure.

1 hour ago, danninho said:

$15 right next to the stadium. The lots don’t seem that big.

Why not park at Highway 407 station, and take the subway one stop - it's right next to the stadium.

Gosh, looking on streaming ... that one stand, with great views, is absolutely empty. So why were tickets more expensive ... I couldn't stomach paying about double what I do for a TFC Voyageurs Cup match?

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Why not park at Highway 407 station, and take the subway one stop - it's right next to the stadium.

Gosh, looking on streaming ... that one stand, with great views, is absolutely empty. So why were tickets more expensive ... I couldn't stomach paying about double what I do for a TFC Voyageurs Cup match?

You can pay $2 at pioneer Village Commuter lot. Its a 5 min walk. 

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

You can pay $2 at pioneer Village Commuter lot. Its a 5 min walk. 

I hadn't realized there was a parking lot at Pioneer Village station! Probably a 1-minute walk from the southeast entrance to that lot, to the stadium ... I assume the parking lot is north of Steeles somewhere?

3 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I hadn't realized there was a parking lot at Pioneer Village station! Probably a 1-minute walk from the southeast entrance to that lot, to the stadium ... I assume the parking lot is north of Steeles somewhere?

It's north of Steeles, on the north side of Pioneer Village Station. I'm not sure if the street it's on has a name, but it continues south of Steeles as Northwest Gate.

We are suffering from a lack of leadership in CPL, and it pisses me off.

If we can do media together, and have uniforms that are coordinated, they could lead on basic like ticketing, marketing and stadium configurations. The success of all is key for the league's future. 

I think they need a major kick in the butt, but usually, if you are serious, you kick yourself in the butt first, no one else should have to. 

I know folks are enthusiastic, but so far I would be hard pressed to say that any permanent stadium legacy of top quality is in place for the future of Canadian sport because of CPL. Was that too much to ask for?

8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I was wrong sight lines suck in that stand. Bench blocks it

...also no table seats on that side and this was a season ticket game, so that probably knocks another 100 or so off the capacity. On the bright side they have been able to use some sort of artificial turf to create enough runoff space to have a field width of around 60 yards. That moves it from farcically narrow to uncomfortably narrow. Not many fans in the supporters zone for this one:

Were they able to put in the field side seats on the main stand side? No sign of them in the short clip in this tweet:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

Are York 9 planning to move the camera to the opposite side for Saturday? 

Not a good look for the league   

I doubt it. Oh well it looks like am empty stadium match from the fans getting punished. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Were they able to put in the field side seats on the main stand side? No sign of them in the short clip in this tweet:

They were there ( I assume you mean the bucket seats), but weirdly enough they were placed right below the stands instead of the tracks, putting some distance away from the pitch.

That will probably be so the track can still be used daily by Athletics Canada. Once you put in the extra section of artificial turf for safe run-off you are right at the track:

Looks like they had to move the benches over to the far side and that probably messed up the sight lines from the bleachers sufficiently that a mass migration to the main seating made sense.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are suffering from a lack of leadership in CPL, and it pisses me off.

If we can do media together, and have uniforms that are coordinated, they could lead on basic like ticketing, marketing and stadium configurations. The success of all is key for the league's future. 

I think they need a major kick in the butt, but usually, if you are serious, you kick yourself in the butt first, no one else should have to. 

I know folks are enthusiastic, but so far I would be hard pressed to say that any permanent stadium legacy of top quality is in place for the future of Canadian sport because of CPL. Was that too much to ask for?

There have been a lot of decision making that a lot of us are trying to live with because we want this entire endeavor to be a success. But there are so many decisions that are so weird. Its not just the CPL though that is left wanting. The CSA in partnership has made some wonky decisions:

-Voyageur Cup format. The seeding explanation is a joke

-Concacaf League representation. We should be sending the Spring season Champion. That fake 3 team tournament they created is stupid and the reasoning is bs. The Spring Season ends 5 days after that 3 team mini tourney ends. Plus if we send our best team (likely Cavalry) they have a better chance of going far.

-They still haven't decided on the format for the Championship. They aren't sure if they want it to be 2 legs or 1. This should be decided before the season starts!

-They should have been on top of York 9's stadium situation. They didn't look ready for yesterday and Saturday is around the corner.

-Should have tried to do a better job to balance the schedule.

Sorry this is probably not the proper thread for this rant.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I agree that the seeding explanation is a joke. However, given we have 13 teams in the tournament this year the clear obvious format switch would have been to give the 3 MLS teams a single round bye and have an actual draw for the first round knockout. 10 goes down to 5, and then the 3 MLS teams in the next round for an 8-team knockout tournament. The seeding snafu is just a natural consequence of using such a wonky format for the tournament as a whole.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

There have been a lot of decision making that a lot of us are trying to live with because we want this entire endeavor to be a success. But there are so many decisions that are so weird. Its not just the CPL though that is left wanting. The CSA in partnership has made some wonky decisions:

-Concacaf League representation. We should be sending the Spring season Champion. That fake 3 team tournament they created is stupid and the reasoning is bs. The Spring Season ends 5 days after that 3 team mini tourney ends. Plus if we send our best team (likely Cavalry) they have a better chance of going far.

-They still haven't decided on the format for the Championship. They aren't sure if they want it to be 2 legs or 1. This should be decided before the season starts!

-They should have been on top of York 9's stadium situation. They didn't look ready for yesterday and Saturday is around the corner.

-Should have tried to do a better job to balance the schedule.

Sorry this is probably not the proper thread for this rant.

I agree 100%

I partly blame Ottawa for the schedule issues. 

I would have liked the bracket to have York9 likely to play TFC (guaranteed sellout for y9) Pacific vs Whitecaps would be cool too. 

Next year they should do something like this;

York9 vs Ottawa winner moves on to play TFC in round 3

Pacific vs Cavalry winner moves on to play Whitecaps in round 3

Edmonton vs Winnipeg winner moves on to play CPL champion(force fc for example)

Halifax vs l10/Quebec winner winner advances to play Impact

Now this all goes out the window if the CPL adds teams in 2020. 

We had some V's at the game yesterday and we estimated about 600-800 bums in the seats. That is not good at all no matter how you cut it. The official numbers though, if they include SSHs, it might get bumped way up to 1,000-2,000.

We know that Y9 SSHs are likely far more comprised as a % share of youth club members and corporate partners compared to other CPL clubs. The youth clubs and companies likely own the season tickets and give freebies or discounts to their members, so it'll reflect on attendance if the weather isn't good or if it's a cup game, since fans who get freebies are far more sensitive to the weather compared to those who paid for their tickets.

For Saturday, I'm expecting higher, and I think we will all feel better. We will get about a 1,000 boost from Hamilton away fans, I heard, and youth club and corporate fans are more likely to come on a Saturday afternoon. Except that we have an all-day thunderstorm warning lol. But the Hamilton boost will be an aberration of a boost because of the travelling fans obviously, so it's not the best game to judge Y9's potential attendance either.

I think the best barometer for the attendance of this team will be the June 15th game vs Pacific and the June 22nd game vs Halifax. As long as the weather is fair. Cuz fairweather fans and etc lol.

Edited by ironcub14

8 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

For Saturday, I'm expecting higher, and I think we will all feel much better.

As you said, there's a massive rainfall expected that day. The forecast could change between now and then, of course, but even the threat of terrible weather will likely keep a lot of people away. 

The ticket prices are obviously still a big concern as well. I just emailed my ticket rep and Ben Z, our VP of ticketing, and I heard back by both email and call within minutes. We had a good discussion, and I tried respectfully to let him know that the prices on Y9 ticketmaster have to compare favourably to the TFC resale market on TM/Stubhub.

TFC supporters all know the supporters section resale going rate is $20ish, so a Y9 GA ticket has to go below $15 all inclusive. I think they're $27 all inclusive, so we have a price difference of $12 at the moment. And a seated corner section seat should start at about $20 all inclusive. When Sections 100 and 900 open up, I think they're going to be about $27 all inclusive as well, so we have a price difference of $7 at the moment. I made my case on the lower price, and Y9 made their case on the higher price.

I do think we will get much better attendance this Saturday and June 15th and June 22nd, depending on the weather. But if you do feel strongly about the ticket prices, feel free to shoot Ben Z an email or a tweet, he'll take in your thoughts for sure. And I also asked them to highlight on social media the fact that Line 1 TTC subway is literally a minute walk away from the stadium.

Edited by ironcub14