York9 - 2019 Season Thread

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I can get tfc tickets for 20 bucks why would i pay more to watch a lower level? I want to support york as a former york lion but i will be passing on going to a game unless they lower prices. 

You can probably get them for even less on the aftermarket now considering how bad they are playing.

I live in Vaughan and want to give them a chance but they are blowing it.

Edited by narduch

I really have not been following the price of tickets for York9 and have not really looked at what they cost. However, judging from the last few posts it looks like they have set their prices much too high. The most that I will spend to go watch York 9 play is about 20 dollars, however, I think they need a general admission price of 10 to 15 dollars, there is just too much competition for the entertainment dollar in the general Toronto area . It’s going to be tough getting people to attend another sports team in this market. It’s not impossible but it’s going to take time and an owner who hopefully is in it for the long term. Creative pricing is needed to get people to games and to grow the fan base . Many teams not named the Leafs, Raptors, TFC and Jays have come and gone in this market let’s hope the York9 ownership has patience, creativity and the will to try to make this team ago so it can lasts and grow for years to come.

41 minutes ago, Team Canada said:

Yep --- it isn't rocket science to any of us --- except those in the Y9 head office who think they are entitled to make a "profit" out of the gate for an unknown product and have held their ridiculous prices there accordingly (look at Bob Young, he gets it -- this league is a charity at this point for the owners - he gave away the first game knowing it was the one he would most likely sell the most tickets to -- and still there wasn't 20,000 people there with all the hype and free tickets and Hamiltonian's who clearly identify with being from Hamilton more than anyone I know from this neck of the woods identifies as being from York -- I'm from Toronto in terms of my sports fandom and so is everyone else I know who lives in York region for the most part - I support the Leafs not the Richmond Hill Raiders or Aurora Tigers, I support TFC not the Vaughan Azzurri)....sometime you have to read the tea leaves and figure out if it's not selling at $50 maybe trying to sell at $25 would be a better idea (how about bring a kid for free with every adult ticket purchased?)....I understand the whole long-term idea of "if we give them away, then people will never expect to pay" mentality (the Argos use that argument all the time and play to a solid 12,000+ most games these days - so clearly its working for them), which has some merit --- but this a is new product, in a very competitive market, you need to get people into that building anyway that you can -- it's not like you have years of goodwill to fall back on.....

Notice a trend in the responses --- if I can go to a TFC game at $20-$25, why would I go to this league for twice the price? -- out of a sense of "Canadian loyalty"?  I see no other reason they can sell me on, geez I can see the National team play at BMO for much less than $50....the stadium is crappy (no roof, less amenities comparable to a BMO Field), the talent level is lower, the overall perception of the league is much lower, and I'm paying more why? because I have some unrequited sports loyalty to York? more than Toronto? They are nuts, and if they keep this up, this team will be moved within 3-5 years......I'll believe that new stadium is being built in the next 3-5 years when I see it with my own eyes....sadly I think this a league for teams not located near the major markets with MLS teams, and in cities where this minor league will be treated in a major league way -- that's why Halifax (I lived there for 3 years), can go nuts about this league, and a team like the Mooseheads (I loved the Mooseheads too when I was there, and I saw more QMJHL games in those three years, than OHL games in my lifetime here in the GTA in places like Mississauga, Brampton, Oshawa (and even the old OHL Toronto Marlies who I did love to see at the old Maple Leaf Gardens)......if they don't change their tune, it will be Saskatoon in 2023 -  here we come - at least the "Green" will translate well.....ha ha ha.....

To be fair it looks like at least their season ticket prices aren't too bad.

But I'm not interested in seasons at this point. 

Just noticed they are owned by the guy who owns Greenpark Homes so I guess they do have deep enough pockets.

8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

From what i heard, the York Lion pitch is actually below regulation (which is why that friendly with the Italian team was abruptly moved to OSC). But apparently York has a one year excemption from CSA.

main-qimg-317dd81aeb387b07bf8db325bf7a9c

The minimum width in the regulations for an amateur level game is 50 yards, which gives you only three yards each side between the penalty box and the sidelines. Judging from Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/york+university+toronto+on+canada/@43.7751457,-79.5069258,134m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

it's going to be somewhere between 55-60 yards. That will be below minimum requirements for the pro level on CONCACAF competition related licensing given around 70 yards is what is ideally expected at a pro level, so not surprised they had to get an exemption. If quality of soccer rather than TTC access was the main consideration this team should be playing at the OSC.

The midfield is going to be very congested given the field also appears to be not much more than the minimum length of 100 yards. You often get 110 yards as the length dimension in Canada because of the CFL, but ideally you want it to be a bit longer than that to generate the space skilled players need to play to their maximum abilities. 115 x 75 yards is what is recommended for the pro level in Scotland to meet UEFA requirements.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I get what you guys are saying, but I feel like I got a good deal on my seasons. Commensurate TFC seats would be almost triple the price (club + seats). 

I went to go check out their pricing for seasons. They are reasonable. I will give them credit for that.

But at this point in my life I am more of a casual fan.

One of the reasons I want to give up my TFC seasons is that I'm tired of being a part time scalper.

I am going to try to attend a few York 9 matches but will be looking to the secondary market.

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I went to go check out their pricing for seasons. They are reasonable. I will give them credit for that.

But at this point in my life I am more of a casual fan.

One of the reasons I want to give up my TFC seasons is that I'm tired of being a part time scalper.

I am going to try to attend a few York 9 matches but will be looking to the secondary market.

Fair enough. For what it’s worth, I hear that you can re-sell tickets on ticketmaster. Might not be as big of a hassle as it used to (to re-sell the ones you don’t use). 

Y9 has definitely been marketed differently from all other CPL clubs for sure. They went after the York Region youth clubs, and they went after the York Region business community, tied to Greenpark and the construction industry I'm sure. They ignored North York, even though the club will be playing in North York for at least 2 years, and they only offered a $200 and a $400 season options for those without excessive disposable income, and only relented in offering a $300 option I think it was after numerous fans spoke up.

I'm not sure why Y9 decided to focus so specifically on certain groups, rather than going for a general marketing approach, but I hope it pays off. We'll find out tomorrow and this weekend and throughout this season. I'll be at both games this week, and I've been tweeting and IG-ing and wearing my green Y9 jacket at work and out on the weekends and I got my gear ready for tomorrow, but I've seen a lot of lower league clubs in Ontario in NASL, USL, PDL, and L1O, and I'm still a bit perplexed by Y9's marketing overall. And their pricing structure for single match tickets obviously. If your kids are in a York Region youth club or if you're in the York Region business community, or if you're a Y9 SSH, then you're in, you're good. But if you are or want to be a casual fan, and aren't in one of those 3 subsets, then you haven't really been made that welcome into this club marketing-wise or price-wise.

All of the comments about Y9 over the months has been legit, and if anything, the people who have said in the past to "stop complaining and just support the product" are the ones who aren't helping. Constructive feedback and criticism is highly essential for any business or organization to grow. That's precisely what supporters do exactly, if you examine some of the football supporters in the stands around the world.

Edited by ironcub14

^There are almost no seats for sale on the aftermarket (secondary market like TM resale or stubhub) -- less than 10 seats total on either site combined for most games - again, I find it hard to believe that all STH are going to the game on Wednesday against Blainville (basically no one is reselling?!) and yet almost no tickets appear to be for sale outside of the full price ones on TM --- seems practically unbelievable😀.....I can't wait to see the packed house this week on Wednesday to prove me wrong with all those ST being used in Sections 100,200,300,700,800,900 - for anyone who is going - please take pictures so we can see exactly how full it is - same for Saturday as I would assume that will be the most tickets and people they will have in the building this year, with the apparent freebies being given to Forge supporters.....the whole ticketing availability thing screams of shenanigans, with tickets being held back from sale, or forcing people to buy into expensive sections as the only means of attending the event..... one pair magically appeared on the East side (Section A) for the opener as a resale (an actual resale for $47), I wonder what happens to the person who buys those tickets and is told those seats don't exist anymore, and you will be moved to a random location on the West Side - I mean what could possibly go wrong?

9 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

...All of the comments about Y9 over the months has been legit, and if anything, the people who have said in the past to "stop complaining and just support the product" are the ones who aren't helping. Constructive feedback and criticism is highly essential for any business or organization to grow.

What also doesn't help is the unwillingness of what passes for a soccer media in Canada to touch any story that involves rocking the boat a bit and hence jeopardizing future access. The issues surrounding York 9's choice of stadium merited some investigative journalism.

Any word on why the bleachers are not being used, if this description of closure is legit?

I've had a pet theory for a while that I haven't posted more than maybe once either here or on Reddit (because I couldn't back it up sufficiently with images that clearly show the problem) that they didn't look at the sight lines carefully enough before starting to sell expensive seats close to the field that have the potential to partially block the field of play from the vantage point of the regular seating. The bleachers were set so far back and are so low that I'd be very surprised if it isn't an issue. It's not likely to be as big a problem on the main grandstand side since the seats are raised quite high relative to the track, but I'd definitely avoid the first few rows just in case.

9 minutes ago, Team Canada said:

^There are almost no seats for sale on the aftermarket (secondary market like TM resale or stubhub) -- less than 10 seats total on either site combined for most games - again, I find it hard to believe that all STH are going to the game on Wednesday against Blainville (basically no one is reselling?!) and yet almost no tickets appear to be for sale outside of the full price ones on TM --- seems practically unbelievable😀.....I can't wait to see the packed house this week on Wednesday to prove me wrong with all those ST being used in Sections 100,200,300,700,800,900 - for anyone who is going - please take pictures so we can see exactly how full it is - same for Saturday as I would assume that will be the most tickets and people they will have in the building this year, with the apparent freebies being given to Forge supporters.....the whole ticketing availability thing screams of shenanigans, with tickets being held back from sale, or forcing people to buy into expensive sections as the only means of attending the event..... one pair magically appeared on the East side (Section A) for the opener as a resale (an actual resale for $47), I wonder what happens to the person who buys those tickets and is told those seats don't exist anymore, and you will be moved to a random location on the West Side - I mean what could possibly go wrong?

I saw a couple of singles on Kijiji for $20.

But you are correct. There is barely any after market.

My guess is more will appear on game days, at cheaper prices.

But who knows? Maybe we are wrong and will be surprised?

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What also doesn't help is the unwillingness of what passes for a soccer media in Canada to touch any story that involves rocking the boat a bit and hence jeopardizing future access. The issues surrounding York 9's choice of stadium merited some investigative journalism.

We see this with TFC right now. The FO just had a had a terrible transfer window and the team looks to be in shambles. But all of the media covering the team are parroting the team's party line.

With respect to York 9, I see it as a similar situation to NYCFC (but on a smaller scale of course). The CPL saw an ownership group that was too good to pass up. Even if the stadium situation isn't ideal.

I just hope that 5 years from now York 9 is still not playing at York U.

10 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Y9 has definitely been marketed extremely differently from all other CPL clubs for sure. They went after the York Region youth clubs, and they went after the York Region business community, tied to Greenpark and the construction industry I'm sure. They ignored North York, even though the club will be playing in North York for at least 2 years, and they only offered a $200 and a $400 season options for those without excessive disposable income, and only relented in offering a $300 option I think it was after numerous fans spoke up.

I'm not sure why Y9 decided to focus so specifically on certain groups, rather than going for a general marketing approach, but I hope it pays off. We'll find out tomorrow and this weekend and throughout this season. I'll be at both games this week, and I've been tweeting and IG-ing and wearing my green Y9 jacket at work and out on the weekends and I got my gear ready for tomorrow, but I've seen a lot of lower league clubs in Ontario in NASL, USL, PDL, and L1O, and I'm still a bit perplexed by Y9's marketing overall. And their pricing structure for single match tickets obviously.

All of the comments about Y9 over the months has been legit, and if anything, the people who have said in the past to "stop complaining and just support the product" are the ones who aren't helping. Constructive feedback and criticism is highly essential for any business or organization to grow. That's precisely what supporters do exactly, if you examine some of the football supporters in the stands around the world.

I get the whole idea of "supporting" (I sat through lots of crappy TFC games from Years 1-8 as a STH) - but clearly if people did not complain about the pricing model when it came out, or the lack of reserved seating in the East Stands originally (all GA?! - even for STH in a family section?!) - then they would not have relented and changed things (made things a bit cheaper, and made the East side reserved and not GA) -- they didn't have an epiphany, they saw the public reaction and they responded (kudos to them),  but the idea that if I want to take my family of four (their likely market is families in the suburbs) to a game that my only options are to spend $1000-$1200 on 4 season tickets (not GA Standing), or $200 for one game - is an outrageous notion and is excluding many people who might want "to try" the product......I bought OneSoccer, I bought the hoodie, but am I going to spend $200 on single game for a minor league product?! - NO -  (in comparison I saw the Marlies win Game 7 of the Calder Cup Finals for less than that in amazing seats, same with OHL Finals in Guelph/Oshawa/Mississauga in the past - never mind regular season games where entry can be had for $15-$25 in decent seats for single games from the primary seller along with discounts for family deals and kids ticket pricing, etc.) -- and I would bet many others won't "try it" either - frankly I think they will lose a lot of the soccer club ST signups after year one, once people go and see what its all about, and it doesn't exactly live up to the "vision" they were sold from a picture on a brochure.....heaven forbid it rains or is cold, it will be a ghost town.....

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

I saw a couple of singles on Kijiji for $20.

But you are correct. There is barely any after market.

My guess is more will appear on game days, at cheaper prices.

I hope you're right and we are all surprised --- I doubt we will be....by next year I think you will really see what the market is for Y9, once the bells and whistles and novelty has worn off......

I see CPL Reddit was popping about this topic last night as well from the link that you shared Ozzie.

Will be making sure to let the Y9 staff know what I think about the single match prices when I see them this week. The best thing to do is to let the staff know in person. I'd email them, but I'm assuming they're crazy busy preparing for tomorrow and Saturday at this point.

I hope you guys who are debating the game tomorrow and in the future consider also maybe just buying the GA tickets, and then finding a seat to sit in when you get to the game. I have a feeling the crowd is going to be much friendlier than the TFC crowd for example. And I'll be selling my tickets on Ticketmaster time to time when I can't make a game.

Edited by ironcub14

4 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I see CPL Reddit was popping about this topic last night as well from the link that you shared Ozzie.

^As suspected they took the East Bleacher Stands STH and put them in the cheapest sections on the West side (Sections 100-300 and 700-900 (those 6 sections are about 1900 seats in total), it might "fill" up those locations with all of those East side STH migrated into those seats but I don't think they even have 1900 STH in total to begin with) -- thereby eliminating any options for seats (not standing) that aren't "expensive" for single game purchases.....brilliant plan.....they will have the middle sections empty for most games, and no one new coming to their games save for the existing STH.......

29 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I hope you guys who are debating the game tomorrow and in the future consider also maybe just buying the GA tickets, and then finding a seat to sit in when you get to the game. I have a feeling the crowd is going to be much friendlier than the TFC crowd for example. And I'll be selling my tickets on Ticketmaster time to time when I can't make a game.

I would bet that you won't be able to easily move into a seated area on the west side, from the SRO area without someone asking to see your seats, as the stands are entirely separated from the standing room area (it's not like they are connected  by a concourse where you can easily just "wander" into better seats like at BMO for example) -- if easy movement is allowed from SRO to seats with no hassle from the staff  - please let us know as I might actually be encouraged to go then.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Y9 has definitely been marketed differently from all other CPL clubs for sure. They went after the York Region youth clubs, and they went after the York Region business community, tied to Greenpark and the construction industry I'm sure. They ignored North York, even though the club will be playing in North York for at least 2 years, and they only offered a $200 and a $400 season options for those without excessive disposable income, and only relented in offering a $300 option I think it was after numerous fans spoke up.

I'm not sure why Y9 decided to focus so specifically on certain groups, rather than going for a general marketing approach, but I hope it pays off. We'll find out tomorrow and this weekend and throughout this season. I'll be at both games this week, and I've been tweeting and IG-ing and wearing my green Y9 jacket at work and out on the weekends and I got my gear ready for tomorrow, but I've seen a lot of lower league clubs in Ontario in NASL, USL, PDL, and L1O, and I'm still a bit perplexed by Y9's marketing overall. And their pricing structure for single match tickets obviously. If your kids are in a York Region youth club or if you're in the York Region business community, or if you're a Y9 SSH, then you're in, you're good. But if you are or want to be a casual fan, and aren't in one of those 3 subsets, then you haven't really been made that welcome into this club marketing-wise or price-wise.

Great post.  Remember how the "Membership Numbers" were so low, then exploded days before the tickets came on sale.  It seemed so obvious they just tossed in a whole bunch from the youth clubs or business opportunities to illustrate momentum.

Any summary on the stadium situation for York?

Sections A to E + Supporters Section + Sections 100 to 900 + Whatever VIP or Premium seats were all supposed to be open? With a total capacity of how much?

And now its which sections that will have supporters and which ones closed? What is the reason for closing sections and what will be total capacity?

5 hours ago, narduch said:

...My guess is more will appear on game days, at cheaper prices.

Other possible considerations on this are how many freebies are going to Forge supporters for Saturday's game despite the apparent large drop in capacity and whether the sudden surge in memberships late last year means that large blocks of season tickets are assigned collectively to youth clubs and sponsors rather than to individual supporters. If so, those tickets would be less likely to show up for resale at any point.