HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

On 7/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

We have a few guys in the kitchen who are from Northern Ireland. We have flags flying from several jurisdictions.

No, you misunderstood. That flag is clearly loyalist and would be clearly alienating to Irish and N Ireland fans who reject the sectarianism. That kind of agenda, in CPL, is poison and should be cut short immediately.

I would simply ban it, starting by asking directly that it not be brought, as I would any flag that has no relevance to the team, and could alienate a broadder possible fan base. I am neither protestant nor Catholic and think it's pathetic and hostile.

Another thing altogether is if someone wants to wear a shirt, of any sort. 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, you misunderstood. That flag is clearly loyalist and would be clearly alienating to Irish and N Ireland fans who reject the sectarianism. That kind of agenda, in CPL, is poison and should be cut short immediately.

I would simply ban it, starting by asking directly that it not be brought, as I would any flag that has no relevance to the team, and could alienate a broader possible fan base. I am neither protestant nor Catholic and think it's pathetic and hostile.

No I didn't misunderstand. I think it is you maybe who misunderstand what we are all about in 'the kitchen'. The flag displayed is the same flag used by the Northern Irish football team. I understand your point it is considered 'loyalist' - however on the other side of the coin the Irish tri-color could be considered a 'Republican' symbol. Do we also ban that? 

The reality in the kitchen our absolute core value is we are welcoming and respecting of everyone. The lad who hung the banner is a huge fan of the Northern Ireland side (as are some others in our group) it is not meant to be sectarian and not a single person at the grounds has ever complained about it. 

I get it..... Irish politics is a tricky business. However we are in Canada and I think in the year 2019 there are simply not that many strong sectarian feelings (for the most part one way or another). Im sure however if someone came to us and was terribly offended by it we could work something out.

However that being said if you ever come to the Wanders Grounds or the kitchen you will understand it is filled with a bunch of great people who all get along and have a great time. It is not about politics it is about cheering on Wanderers, being ourselves and embracing everyone from every country......

Atleast that is how I see it from section 108 in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

No I didn't misunderstand. I think it is you maybe who misunderstand what we are all about in 'the kitchen'. The flag displayed is the same flag used by the Northern Irish football team. I understand your point it is considered 'loyalist' - however on the other side of the coin the Irish tri-color could be considered a 'Republican' symbol. Do we also ban that? 

The reality in the kitchen our absolute core value is we are welcoming and respecting of everyone. The lad who hung the banner is a huge fan of the Northern Ireland side (as are some others in our group) it is not meant to be sectarian and not a single person at the grounds has ever complained about it. 

I get it..... Irish politics is a tricky business. However we are in Canada and I think in the year 2019 there are simply not that many strong sectarian feelings (for the most part one way or another). Im sure however if someone came to us and was terribly offended by it we could work something out.

However that being said if you ever come to the Wanders Grounds or the kitchen you will understand it is filled with a bunch of great people who all get along and have a great time. It is not about politics it is about cheering on Wanderers, being ourselves and embracing everyone from every country......

Atleast that is how I see it from section 108 in the kitchen.

We're not dolts, it's pretty clear how you have chosen to be branded in the Kitchen. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would simply ban it, starting by asking directly that it not be brought, as I would any flag that has no relevance to the team, and could alienate a broadder possible fan base. I am neither protestant nor Catholic and think it's pathetic and hostile.

kinda like your beloved Barcelona not be being sectarian...😂

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/12/barcelona-drop-home-kit-catalan-colours-athletic-bilbao

20 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I think you are simply misunderstanding the meaning of the term sectarian, which Barça is not by any means. The fan base is chock full of Spanish nationalists alongside those advocating Catalan independence, apart from having literally hundreds of supporter groups outside of Catalonia in Spain. 

If that flag is the N Ireland official flag, fine, I stand corrected. But if symbols of the Red Hand are being displayed that are not just that, solely, then perhaps we should be asking the RCMP to consider what ties they may have to the RHC or the Ulster Volunteer Force. 

I see no reason why tolerance with intolerance should be allowed in any CPL stadium, seems folks seem to want to play with fire and risk the integrity of the entire league. And if that happens, you kill it, HFX will be killed off by the stupidity of its own supporters. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you are simply misunderstanding the meaning of the term sectarian, which Barça is not by any means. The fan base is chock full of Spanish nationalists alongside those advocating Catalan independence, apart from having literally hundreds of supporter groups outside of Catalonia in Spain. 

If that flag is the N Ireland official flag, fine, I stand corrected. But if symbols of the Red Hand are being displayed that are not just that, solely, then perhaps we should be asking the RCMP to consider what ties they may have to the RHC or the Ulster Volunteer Force. 

I see no reason why tolerance with intolerance should be allowed in any CPL stadium, seems folks seem to want to play with fire and risk the integrity of the entire league. And if that happens, you kill it, HFX will be killed off by the stupidity of its own supporters. 

1) I have already stated clearly this is the flag FIFA uses to represent Northern Ireland in international soccer matches.

2) I know well the lad who made the banner and he is a moderate who is against sectarianism and violence. (He also offered to attach the Irish tri-color to it if anyone thought it would be a problem).

3) There is no sectarianism in our group. We have Rangers supporters, Celtic supporters some good banter and we all get along. We have people from all countries, all religions and we all get along. I am at every game this is a fact  - how many Halifax games have you been to?

No one is playing with fire - no one in HALIFAX has a problem with it and no one from visiting clubs/supporters has ever had a problem with the Northern Irish flag being displayed. It seems like you are just trying to start and create a huge issue over literally nothing. 

If you've got some time to kill on a commute or around the house, we just posted episode 13 of our HFX Wanderers podcast over at http://www.fromaways.com. 

Thanks!

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/5vyqQoHhZHNAJ57MuUrhKv?si=X2Rtv5KLTjWMIl_7JoDwew

Apple Podcasts - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/from-aways-a-hfx-wanderers-podcast/id1453406026?mt=2

RSS Feed - https://feed.podbean.com/fromaways/feed.xml

Oxner should be #1. 2 goals should have been stopped by Williams. Wanderers could have advanced to face TFC.

I actually see Hart's vision and what he's trying to accomplish, just need to tweak his roster and get people back 100%. 

Still waiting for that Gutierrez & Perea connection 

Oxner should be No 1 Imo too. He also plays out short and enables the DM or CB to drop deep and get in the ball whereas Williams will always go long and concede possession.  Hart has to get the back four braver  in possession and making short passes into the midfield. He has some excellent midfielders who can receive under pressure and on the half turn but they are getting completely bypassed by Gk and back four. The result is a really basic direct approach and not good football as it is turn over after turnover.

Get midfielders like John Rampersad and Simmons on the ball deeper and quicker then the distribution to forwards will improve significantly and possession stats will improve dramatically. Leicester City Won the title with 38% possession but HFX are no Leicester City and don’t have Jamie Vardy on the counterattack!

Also why have a now recovered & fully fit Simmons sitting twiddling his thumbs in Halifax whilst this marathon road trip continues? Last 4 games without him are 3 losses and a draw!  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Makes sense, his degree will undeniably pay more unless salaries are increased or he gets opportunities at a higher level. Hoping to see a steady salary increase year after year

I have a degree from the same university and i'm unloading trucks at a retail store   lol

However your right he is wise to finish his education and play out his university career at Cape Breton. There is no compelling reason to stay at Wanderers at this juncture.

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Schaale is young and one of the top CB in the CPL. He should be on the radar for MLS or overseas. I wonder if he was making less than average salary because he was a draft pick?

Most likely but if he returns I'd expect a pay increase

On 7/26/2019 at 5:57 AM, Silverfox said:

Oxner should be No 1 Imo too. He also plays out short and enables the DM or CB to drop deep and get in the ball whereas Williams will always go long and concede possession.  Hart has to get the back four braver  in possession and making short passes into the midfield. He has some excellent midfielders who can receive under pressure and on the half turn but they are getting completely bypassed by Gk and back four. The result is a really basic direct approach and not good football as it is turn over after turnover.

Get midfielders like John Rampersad and Simmons on the ball deeper and quicker then the distribution to forwards will improve significantly and possession stats will improve dramatically. Leicester City Won the title with 38% possession but HFX are no Leicester City and don’t have Jamie Vardy on the counterattack!

Also why have a now recovered & fully fit Simmons sitting twiddling his thumbs in Halifax whilst this marathon road trip continues? Last 4 games without him are 3 losses and a draw!  

Just saying ! Guess what,  that’s exactly what they did on Saturday and win 1-0 with 52% possession! 

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

TBH playing in front of the Wanderers crowd would be pretty compelling to me

Thats probably it though. Going back to school is a no lose situation for him. He's very likely to be invited back at a higher salary next year as I can't see the club foregoing him based on his international status (I think), especially given the performance of some of our other internationals (Williams lately and Guti). Plus, he'll have a degree in his back pocket and I'm sure is/will be bilingual, which I imagine is pretty valuable in Germany. If Oxner pulls ahead as the starter this year, I don't imagine they would use an international spot on a back-up goalkeeper. Perhaps Williams transitions into a coaching role earlier than expected.

Why is this his last game?  When I was in university school started in September.

Do we know what program he is in? I truly believe he probably has a better chance at making a higher salary in football in short term.  He could play a decent level in Germany honestly.. maybe B3, which would be a good salary.