HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why is this his last game?  When I was in university school started in September.

Do we know what program he is in? I truly believe he probably has a better chance at making a higher salary in football in short term.  He could play a decent level in Germany honestly.. maybe B3, which would be a good salary.

Back in the day I had a good term job that I kept 2 weeks into september, but many guys pulled the plug in mid Aug to find apartments, take a break and prep for class in Sept.  This is almost a perfect set up for a kid like this, he plays damn near a full season (20 pro games) and then can finish his schooling in the offseason.  

Should be interesting to see how his season goes this year. I am sure a lot of players will want to test their mettle against a top CPL defender.

Also curious to see what the recruiting class is like for U Sports teams as this will be the first time schools would be recruiting and able to use CPL as a carrot

15 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Should be interesting to see how his season goes this year. I am sure a lot of players will want to test their mettle against a top CPL defender.

Also curious to see what the recruiting class is like for U Sports teams as this will be the first time schools would be recruiting and able to use CPL as a carrot

Decided to see if I could find some new recruits for this year. It doesn't appear to be as easy as finding information on NCAA players, but checked out a few of the bigger programs and found a few "names" that would be joining U Sports teams this year:

UBC - Jackson Farmer, Jordan Haynes, Logan Chung

York - Reggie Laryea, Soji Olatoye, Gianfranco, Gileppo, Michael Thornton, Marco Muia, George Tzimas (all guys who transferred from NCAA)

Toronto - Matthew Roberts (Former Swansea U18)

20 minutes ago, Silverfox said:

TBH I don’t think a U-Draft player can get paid just expenses and fees paid for 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-partner-u-sports-sharing-talent/

The article (an old one i grant you) says that they will get paid.  It also says the players will be released back to their universities on Aug 15.

"student-athletes will be able to play with a CPL club, while preserving their eligibility, in the spring and summer before returning to U Sports competition. The student will be paid for his efforts after signing a CPL-U Sports developmental contract."

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why is this his last game?  When I was in university school started in September.

Do we know what program he is in? I truly believe he probably has a better chance at making a higher salary in football in short term.  He could play a decent level in Germany honestly.. maybe B3, which would be a good salary.

CIS (U-sports now, I guess) teams in Nova Scotia usually have their training camps in August. This could be a reason, though it would seem strange for him to miss professional CPL games in order to accommodate his university commitments.

Perhaps there is something else related to his university that is taking him away from Halifax so early.

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-partner-u-sports-sharing-talent/

The article (an old one i grant you) says that they will get paid.  It also says the players will be released back to their universities on Aug 15.

"student-athletes will be able to play with a CPL club, while preserving their eligibility, in the spring and summer before returning to U Sports competition. The student will be paid for his efforts after signing a CPL-U Sports developmental contract."

Yes that is exactly right. The deal was a developmental deal where he was always supposed to go back.

Also he was paid a sum for playing the season. 

I'm not sure if there are any provisions where a team could ask to keep a player if they are in a title hunt. However in the case of the Wanderers I would think with nothing on the line now it would be better to have a good relation with Breton University and happily follow the agreement. With any luck we may be able to sign him to a contract next year. 

Stanese would be huge for HFX imo. The one thing that stands out about HFX to me, is how they have always felt like the least Canadian team in the league. They are the only squad without at least one player with a CanMNT cap, or that was even on our CanMNT radar before the season. 

With the established fandom in Halifax, I’d expect more Canadians who’ve played at higher levels to be willing to come out east.

I would love it to be Ibra Sanoh as that would be the first Island guy playing in the league.  There was chatter early on about him joining after really impressing against the U23 German side but there were some hurdles that apparently messed things up.  No idea if this is still on the back burner at this point (not trying to pry locally - though tempted) but it would be cool.

Didn't think it could be Stanese because he would have needed to be out of contract when the last international window closed for an international registration transfer to be possible at this point.

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/wanderers-bolster-backline-with-signing-of-canadian-defender-duran-lee

Looks like Duran Lee caught Stephen Hart's eye during the Canadian Championship:

...The Wanderers boss got to see for himself the potential of Lee during the club’s Canadian Championship matches against Vaughan.

“Most of all, he was very consistent and I thought he dealt really well with containing Akeem Garcia,” Hart explained. “He was very aggressive in his defending. He reads the game well and he understands the position.” ...

15 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I am coming out to Halifax in sept, want to check out a game. Should I buy now or will it be easy to get tickets the day of?

You may be able to get them on gameday, but with the way they are filling up the Wanderers Grounds, you may just want to grab the tix now and be sure.  If it was me and I knew the home game I was planning to attend, I would just buy it.

15 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm really happy to see that young men are getting a chance to showcase themselves in the V's Cup and those that are good enough, can make the step to the next level here in Canada.  Kudos to the Voyageurs Cup (CSA) and the CPL for allowing this to happen.

More more reason to expand this tournament next year.  These teams and players can compete.. time to add in all provinces and even PDL sides that otherwise wouldn’t be involved.  We may not be able to get Thunder Bay in CPL but we can still get them in the voyageurs cup and that’s amazing.  

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

You can't really have the PDL (USL League 2 now) teams because the season ends in early August so that players can go back to college.

If a team went on a long run they eventually wouldn't even be able to field a team.

The US Open Cup has no issue with it.

Mind you, the only way I would allow PDL teams is if there is no reasonably distanced Canadian Div 3 nearby, but still no reason it can't work

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

You can't really have the PDL (USL League 2 now) teams because the season ends in early August so that players can go back to college.

If a team went on a long run they eventually wouldn't even be able to field a team.

So a PDL team would have to make a run to the semis, which would mean beating probably at least 3 pro clubs.  If such a run happened I’m sure they could accommodate running a little later for a once in a lifetime kind of game.  Not that it would happen. 

11 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

The US Open Cup has no issue with it.

Mind you, the only way I would allow PDL teams is if there is no reasonably distanced Canadian Div 3 nearby, but still no reason it can't work

Why couldn’t both the tss rovers/highlanders and BC div 3 be in the draw?  Or foothills and AMSL clubs? 

I think it would be silly to cut a few clubs. 

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why couldn’t both the tss rovers/highlanders and BC div 3 be in the draw?  Or foothills and AMSL clubs? 

I think it would be silly to cut a few clubs. 

I think that TSS Rovers, Highlanders, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay should be allowed in.

However, if a BC Div 3 were to come along, and TSS Rovers/Highlanders did not want to join, I would cut them from the Cup at that point. I think it is very important to create a proper pyramid in the country and I don't believe that having multiple different leagues playing at similar levels helps