HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

Wow.  And we know HFX play Vaughan Azzurri in the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.  Besides Arnone, they also signed Vaughan forward Tomasz Skublak on April 9th.  

Vaughan has had their head coach Carmine Isacco move over to York 9 along with five players. Also forward Dylan Sacramento is now on Valour FC.  

I expect that Vaughan will be a roster full of teenagers.    

12 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Wow.  And we know HFX play Vaughan Azzurri in the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.  Besides Arnone, they also signed Vaughan forward Tomasz Skublak on April 9th.  

Vaughan has had their head coach Carmine Isacco move over to York 9 along with five players. Also forward Dylan Sacramento is now on Valour FC.  

I expect that Vaughan will be a roster full of teenagers.    

I imagine Vaughan should be able to snag some players from other L1O teams that didn't get signed to CPL contracts. I am sure there will be more than a few players wanting to get a shot against a CPL team

The CPL pregame article lists Hocine and Perea as "questionable" for tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be available next week if they aren't fit for the home opener; we could really use those two.

24 minutes ago, Zem said:

The CPL pregame article lists Hocine and Perea as "questionable" for tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be available next week if they aren't fit for the home opener; we could really use those two.

Perea should be a go for tomorrow. His dad is in town and says he wants a goal.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I am driving over from PEI.  Any suggestions re parking?  Halifax can be a bit of a pain at the best of times.  I assume game day on a Saturday at the start of tourist season won't be awesome...

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday, but for future trips to games, I'd recommend just parking in metro park, always spots avaliable and right downtown so you can go to the pregame easily. 

After gettting a good look at a lot of the players after two games I'm starting to form some opinions on certain players. Langwa is very good. If he is eligible (when is the age cutoff?) I'd like to see him on the olympic qualifiers team, Along with N'sa. 

I also really like Iida. Would love to see what this team would look like with Iida, Guti, Perea, and Garcia all starting. That would be a really slick attack. It's tough because to do that you would need to sit one of John or Williams, because of domestic starting quota, and those guys are really important. 

May 4, 2019  details of League1Ontario  Vaughan Azzurri vs Sigma FC at McNaughton Turf.  

my report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o023.htm

photos, lineups, and game play in days to come but interviews with both coaches are up now (page down in report).  

The interview with Vaughan new head coach Patrice Gheisar should be of some interest to HFX Wanderers fans as they will be first round opponents in the Canadian Championship.  

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

HFX is one of the clubs in the league I am most confident about, mostly due to stadium location. I think they'll see consistently full stadiums all season, excepting those terrible weather days. 

And if they end up adding more seats, to meet demand, all the better.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019/05/06/hfx-wanderers-open-to-mid-season-stadium-expansion.html?

...Looking around the field, Martin points out gaps where more risers could be added to close gaps in the existing stands, or some areas could be pushed back to allow for a few more thousand people.

“I think we could definitely get to (8,000) to 10,000 over time, who knows,” Martin said...

Looks like CanPL has its Cincinnati style poster child in crowd boom terms. Interest in soccer really appears to be taking off across North America in smaller markets at the moment. Over 15,000 in New Mexico on the weekend and around 10,000 in Hartford for a team that has started the USL season dismally.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

HFX is one of the clubs in the league I am most confident about, mostly due to stadium location. I think they'll see consistently full stadiums all season, excepting those terrible weather days. 

And if they end up adding more seats, to meet demand, all the better.

I know the home opener is a different beast, but the weather was complete shit (3°C and raining) on Saturday and the stadium was completely packed. I, and the folks I was with, were cold and wet but had an amazing experience. As the weather improves and more people are exposed to it, I don't think we'd have any issues expanding a bit - maybe get highs in the 7000-7500 range for weekend games; mid-week games likely a little lower.

I have 2 season tickets and will be taking my son to most games unless time or weather doesn't cooperate. Like this past Saturday, if he can't go I'll be taking a buddy. The buddy that came with me isn't really a soccer guy, but had a blast and wants to go to as many games as possible. I think the whole experience is getting people on board. The downtown stadium is key, the club has run everything extremely well, the pricing is spot on, and the Privateers are living up to their end of the bargain by providing an amazing atmosphere. I'm 100% sold on this already and am already making sure the annual budget has season tickets included for next year.

Edited by HfxCeltic

I definitely see an expansion taking place if the attendances stay between 5,500-6,000.

Even three days later, I'm still thinking about the match and the atmosphere.  I do think as a non-season ticket holder, I may have to book some games in advance as the remaining tickets will go quick.

I have to say that Langwa has been impressive as well as Iida and Schaale.  I'm looking forward to seeing Hocine in the line-up and to how Gutierrez and Perea work out...hopefully Perea can get a little better service in future games.

Can't wait for the weekend!

5 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

I definitely see an expansion taking place if the attendances stay between 5,500-6,000.

Even three days later, I'm still thinking about the match and the atmosphere.  I do think as a non-season ticket holder, I may have to book some games in advance as the remaining tickets will go quick.

I have to say that Langwa has been impressive as well as Iida and Schaale.  I'm looking forward to seeing Hocine in the line-up and to how Gutierrez and Perea work out...hopefully Perea can get a little better service in future games.

Can't wait for the weekend!

The way that Iida runs, I expect a few super sub goals this season.

Guys, I had an absolutely amazing time in Halifax. We got back to St. John's Sunday, and I'm still trying to comprehend how much fun I've had. 

I've been slowly rewatching the game on OneSoccer since it popped, and I think the stadium and the crowd looked great on TV too. 

Can't wait to get back fro another Halifax game. Boys are looking great, although I'm worried about a possible Perea broken hand based on his instagram story. I thought he made our attack far more dangerous than it was in the game against Pacific. Iida continues to impress me. I hope he and John continue to start in mid. I was also disappointed that Sukunda didn't get the start. 

Anyway, the people of Halifax have something to be excited about. As ridiculous as it sounds, this team makes me want to move back to the city about 5x more than I already did!

I was initially scared that this team would have very weak defenders, with the assumptions that De Carolis would be relied upon as a starter. But Langwa and Nsa have been two of the most impressive defenders I've seen in the league so far. And if Hocine looked as good as some say in preseason, Halifax might have the league's strongest backline (albeit without much depth).