HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

I agree Schaale is best defender of the bunch who has played so far.

N’sa has been a great stand in for Hocine 

its quite obvious Hart has not played his strongest starting 11 yet and is just mixing it up somewhat first few games. I read somewhere he didn’t think preseason provided sufficient quality of opposition 

Saturdays line up was clearly very carefully selected to promote various localised players and that’s understandable with a brand new club and shareholders/community/local media to satisfy. 

De Carolis does not have that pace of Langwa but will be better at keeping possession and more disciplined with positioning & team movement. There is a time and place for both of these players to be effective v certain opposition. 

Disappointed to see Sukunda dropped for the home opener but again I think this was a business decision home game 1.

Simmons was a player in demand and one of the first signings. He was ever present and impressive in preseason and on paper at least a country mile ahead of both Firth and Outarra in every aspect but again I suspect Hart has held him back for the right moment and he was sacrificed for the home opener to give certain players the minutes and exposure and tick some boxes.

Strongest line up for me would be 

Williams  

Sukunda.  Hocine    Schaale   Langwa

John             Simmons

Guti

Garcia                                    Kourouma 

Perea

I would expect them this weekend to now start begin playing more attractive free flowing passing football through the thirds which they are capable of with the right players in midfield.  

Bottom line is Hart needs 23 players who can all step in and play at the desired level this season with the schedule so everyone needs game minutes to get them at an acceptable level. 

1 hour ago, Silverfox said:

Disappointed to see Sukunda dropped for the home opener but again I think this was a business decision home game 1.

I didn't get a chance to watch all of the Forge game, but I thought that Bona was better than Sukunda had been

On 5/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, deschamp86 said:

I didn't get a chance to watch all of the Forge game, but I thought that Bona was better than Sukunda had been

In the limited sample size I thought Bona was better as well. But it's too early to make sweeping generalizations.

That being said, the U Sports guys who have gotten meaningful minutes have not looked out of place at all, and have even impressed (and not just for HFX, I mean).

May 11, 2019 details of League 1 Ontario game between Unionville-Milliken SC vs Vaughan Azzurri played at Mount Joy in Markham. My game report at

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o036.htm

sound files with U-M head coach Sanford Carabin and VA head coach Patrice Gheisar. Vaughan will be playing CPL HFX Wanderers the next 2 Wednesdays in first round of the Canadian Championships!

photos, line ups and play by play to follow.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, Silverfox said:

I agree Schaale is best defender of the bunch who has played so far.

N’sa has been a great stand in for Hocine 

its quite obvious Hart has not played his strongest starting 11 yet and is just mixing it up somewhat first few games. I read somewhere he didn’t think preseason provided sufficient quality of opposition 

Saturdays line up was clearly very carefully selected to promote various localised players and that’s understandable with a brand new club and shareholders/community/local media to satisfy. 

De Carolis does not have that pace of Langwa but will be better at keeping possession and more disciplined with positioning & team movement. There is a time and place for both of these players to be effective v certain opposition. 

Simmons was a player in demand and one of the first signings. He was ever present and impressive in preseason and on paper at least a country mile ahead of both Firth and Outarra in every aspect but again I suspect Hart has held him back for the right moment and he was sacrificed for the home opener to give certain players the minutes and exposure and tick some boxes.

Strongest line up for me would be 

Williams  

Sukunda.  Hocine    Schaale   Langwa

John             Simmons

Guti

Garcia                                    Kourouma 

Perea

I would expect them this weekend to now start begin playing more attractive free flowing passing football through the thirds which they are capable of with the right players in midfield.  

Bottom line is Hart needs 23 players who can all step in and play at the desired level this season with the schedule so everyone needs game minutes to get them at an acceptable level. 

This line up is very, very close to what I would call my preferred Staring XI after watching the games so far. The only missing piece, which pains me to say, is Iida. Perhaps he is destined for the super-sub role this year, I don't know. He's been incredibly fun to watch when he's been on the field, but I don't think you can play both him and Guti.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Anyone know why Lamy hasn’t played ?

He actually came on as a sub against Vaughn on Wednesday. He is very small and to me seemed almost out of place. I suspect Hart hasn't played him much cause he doesn't have a great deal of confidence in him. After watching him and Skublak I really feel the Wanderers have to add a better striker. Particularly if Perea is going to miss any amount of time.

6 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

He actually came on as a sub against Vaughn on Wednesday. He is very small and to me seemed almost out of place. I suspect Hart hasn't played him much cause he doesn't have a great deal of confidence in him. After watching him and Skublak I really feel the Wanderers have to add a better striker. Particularly if Perea is going to miss any amount of time.

I think he’s one for the future - sort of like Firth and Oxner. Get him some mentorship under a veteran for a few years and hopefully he turns into a starting IX CF after the older more established players move on. I see John is to Firth, as Williams is to Oxner, and Perea is to Lamy.

Edited by HfxCeltic

Do we have any sort of thoughts / timelines on Perea's injury? I may be overreaching, but I think if we have any chance to catch Calgary (which admittedly is more and more unlikely) we need him. I think if he isn't going to be making a return we resolve ourselves to using the Spring season for experimentation and work to battle for the top of the summer season.

Well we should know by Saturday night if we will have a chance. If we can pull out a win in Calgary (which is admittedly a tall order) we will be right back in the chase. If we fall to 1-3 we are pretty well toast.

I haven't heard a word on the Perea - however I agree that he is a critical piece of the team and if we are going to have any great success we really need him in the lineup.

Last night's game was pretty painful, and cements more than ever my desire to see a formation shift that allows for some of our midfielders to play a bit more offensively. And man oh man do we need Perea back. 

Our defense though I'm very, very happy with. So let's get more of them on the field.

B7pb3gg.png

Edited by Copes

19 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Langwa is awesome.  I think he has a real shot at being Canada u23 starting LB.

I've been thinking similar things. If anyone on this team has the potential to break into the CMNT, I think its Langwa. Probably my favourite player so far. 

About Perea:

He practiced this week in Halifax and Hart said “we’ll see” when asked if the Colombian talisman would be in the lineup Wednesday against York9 FC. “I’m suspecting he’ll be good to go, he’s trained the last four days, he should be good to go.”

https://canpl.ca/article/play-our-way-out-of-this-rut-hart-hints-at-perea-return-in-midweek-york9-tilt

That would obviously be huge; Williams is fully fit apparently, while Hocine, Perea, Sukunda and Rampersad are all listed as "questionable" for tonight's match. It would be great if we could finally have both Perea and Hocine back in the lineup at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...