Pacific FC - 2019 Season Thread

ted

The manager probably deserves criticism yes. However the team has a small bench. The veteran guys have been very underwhelming. Contested schedule with a young roster not use to pro play. 

PFC was definitely over rated going into the season. They definitely aren’t a top table team.

What’s capacity at their field ? 

I think they’ll win the fall season, they have such a young team and I’m sure the learning curve is steep but these young players will mature as the season goes and the mistakes will become less and less. Aren’t they starting like 6 U21 players per game or something ?

guys like Chung and Verhoeven are only getting better game by game. 

I looked at the XI yesterday and pretty sure it was 9 or 10 Canadians starting, man is it ever great to have our own league.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was the penalty anything close to legit? I did not see it clearly in any repetition.

Watching it live I didn't see any significant contact anywhere in the box so I wasn't sure what was called. On the replay McCurdy does grab Adjei's arm and he immediately goes down. One of those PKs that gets called from time to time but that amount of contact is constantly going on.

Also looks like Adjei's offside.

So the results have been disappointing, but there is no question that there are some good pieces here. With a few additions and tweaks, they can be a solid squad.

Village - Has done better than I expected. Seems very confident for a guy that hasn't played a lot of football the last few years.

CBs - This is probably the major weakness and was predicted as such during the preseason. They need Staro back. What is the news? When is he expected to return? Even with him in the lineup, an additional signing to pair with Staro is required. Legault...I need to see more. McCurdy and MacNaughton should be no more than depth pieces. Adam Straith for the Fall season?

Fullbacks - Chung has been good, although he is not great at 1 v 1 defending. I think his ideal position would be as a wing back. Anyways he isn't the problem. After a positive debut, Smith has gotten consistently worse. He was a last minute replacement signing though, so can't really complain about him.

Striker - Haber is what he is. Those that were expecting him to win the golden boot really haven't seen him play. He is still a useful player for this team though. If the team plays to his strengths, he can start on a top team at this level. Issey is the biggest disappointment. The lack of playing time is telling. Has not had the impact that was expected and that has really set the team back.

Wide Players - Fisk has gotten a lot of praise from the CPL analysts, but I would say he has just been fine. Not great. I think he is trying to do too much as he is taking too many touches on the ball. He needs to play quicker. Blasco has not been the player that I saw with WFC2. You can tell that he has spent a couple of years outside the pro game. Hernandez needs to get stronger but looks a good prospect. I don't know what to make of Campbell. Has some really nice moments but otherwise doesn't do much. I remember feeling the same way watching him with the whitecaps youth teams. He hasn't really progressed in 4 years.

CM - Verhoeven is the man. He needs to be given the keys to this team. Needs to play as a deep lying playmaker, not as a #10, like he did against York. He is more Pirlo than Totti. He is young and will make mistakes there, but you have to live with them. He is the most promising player on this roster. Baldisimo has been fine. Alessandro is young. Overall this bunch is too small though. Not physical enough. You really saw it in the match against Edmonton where Marcelin had his way against this group. Hopefully the addition of Gonzalez will help.

49 minutes ago, masster said:

So the results have been disappointing, but there is no question that there are some good pieces here. With a few additions and tweaks, they can be a solid squad.

Village - Has done better than I expected. Seems very confident for a guy that hasn't played a lot of football the last few years.

CBs - This is probably the major weakness and was predicted as such during the preseason. They need Staro back. What is the news? When is he expected to return? Even with him in the lineup, an additional signing to pair with Staro is required. Legault...I need to see more. McCurdy and MacNaughton should be no more than depth pieces. Adam Straith for the Fall season?

Fullbacks - Chung has been good, although he is not great at 1 v 1 defending. I think his ideal position would be as a wing back. Anyways he isn't the problem. After a positive debut, Smith has gotten consistently worse. He was a last minute replacement signing though, so can't really complain about him.

Striker - Haber is what he is. Those that were expecting him to win the golden boot really haven't seen him play. He is still a useful player for this team though. If the team plays to his strengths, he can start on a top team at this level. Issey is the biggest disappointment. The lack of playing time is telling. Has not had the impact that was expected and that has really set the team back.

Wide Players - Fisk has gotten a lot of praise from the CPL analysts, but I would say he has just been fine. Not great. I think he is trying to do too much as he is taking too many touches on the ball. He needs to play quicker. Blasco has not been the player that I saw with WFC2. You can tell that he has spent a couple of years outside the pro game. Hernandez needs to get stronger but looks a good prospect. I don't know what to make of Campbell. Has some really nice moments but otherwise doesn't do much. I remember feeling the same way watching him with the whitecaps youth teams. He hasn't really progressed in 4 years.

CM - Verhoeven is the man. He needs to be given the keys to this team. Needs to play as a deep lying playmaker, not as a #10, like he did against York. He is more Pirlo than Totti. He is young and will make mistakes there, but you have to live with them. He is the most promising player on this roster. Baldisimo has been fine. Alessandro is young. Overall this bunch is too small though. Not physical enough. You really saw it in the match against Edmonton where Marcelin had his way against this group. Hopefully the addition of Gonzalez will help.

Agree with all of this. Except I'd praise Hernandez Jr a little more. He really looks like a player. They need an experienced attacking mid and a Straith like player at CB to move forward. 

Hernandez did quite well against York and was really effective as the wide outlet. I was unsure at first but at this point he deserves to start over Blasco and Issey because he actually provides the end product.

This team's success will be determined by the midfield three. Against Halifax they were given time and space to dictate the game, against Edmonton they were pushed over. If the teenagers can adjust to the physicality and be a little sharper/quicker in possession we'll see some attractive soccer, if not it'll be a rough season.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, Big_M said:

Still no seats in the wooden stands? Whats going on there?

No gap in the schedule to allow for installation I believe. We get a break now as our next home game is June 23 unless a miracle happens in Calgary on Wednesday and we advance in the VCup.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:39 PM, masster said:

Not Straith, alas; off to Hansa Rostock.

So tomorrow I think we will see our best possible line-up despite the long odds, as we have a 9 day break after. 

Will Staro finally be ready after the bone bruise?

Will they start Wirth again?

Gonzalez should debut at some point. 

Hopefully, as Cavalry plays Saturday, we might benefit from some rotation on their part (not that it helped in game one).