Pacific FC - 2019 Season Thread

ted

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What's happened to Marcus Haber? His level has dropped

Based on his recent experience in Scotland it's been dropping yearly for the last 3 or 4 years.  Not sure why his arrival was quite so hyped.  Still useful at least but possibly overpaid.  Issey and Edwini-Bonsu though were pretty over-hyped by CPL media staff (including saying that REB might play himself back into CMNT contention) as was Son Yongchan, possibly to play up the importance of the open trials.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Based on his recent experience in Scotland it's been dropping yearly for the last 3 or 4 years.  Not sure why his arrival was quite so hyped.  Still useful at least but possibly overpaid.  Issey and Edwini-Bonsu though were pretty over-hyped by CPL media staff (including saying that REB might play himself back into CMNT contention) as was Son Yongchan, possibly to play up the importance of the open trials.

The more experienced players on Pacific have all been pretty disappointing tbh. I'm not sure what that says about the league

45 minutes ago, nolando said:

I think it says this will be almost exclusively a league for up-and-comers rather than down-and-outers. Our national program will surely benefit in the long run.

Interesting perspective. I've been paying attention mostly to Valour, where the core of the team 23-25 years old, too old to be considered up-and-comers but certainly not yet on the downside of their careers.

I think it is a better indication of how much Canadian talent was being wasted over the years by not having any professional opportunity. Those players on Valour may not be up and comers, but they have deserved a shot over the years.

The vets have been disappointing, but I was really only expecting De Jong to dominate. 

Haber has looked okay at times, but he needs lots of service. I just think he is an example of a guy who has clear physical tools, and took advantage of his shot to get abroad, and once he did he was able to stay because he had experience, not necessarily because he was good. That also made him a shoe-in for NT call up consideration as well. That of course is why many Canadians have been overlooked over the years. They don't have experience, and thus don't get a shot. Then they are 21-22-23 or older, which if they trial in Europe or NA, pits them against many younger players, who even if they look better then in training, the team may want to take the youth with "potential." Vicious cycle.

It may be too late for the guys in the middle age range (beyond a prospect, but not old) to advance, but for them if they can play 3-4-5 years in the CPL that is still a type of living the dream. Tell me I get even 30-40k to play my favourite sport for 8 months, I am game.  

As for the younger guys in that u-21/ even u23 range, they will now have a lot of experience and video to be judged on, and hopefully a few more players like MAK can bloom when they are 23/24.

Forge, York, Cavalry, Edmonton players (whichever advances in the CC) have a big chance in the CC.

Edited by ktf

Such a great opportunity for him, even if it is just a few days of training. I am actually surprised this has not garnered a bigger reaction here. I know he is a call-up of opportunity, given PFC's schedule, but it is still a historic first. He has certainly earned it with his play. Still has areas to improve, but at least he has a professional platform to do so.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:48 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Great experience and recognition for Noah! When Pacific plays well, it's usually through him. I hope he soaks this all in and brings the experience back to the island. 

Edited by Aird25

On 6/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, Dominic94 said:

So he’s not part of the 23 man squad just training ? Great to know he’s on the roster.

You had to be in the 40 man preliminary roster that was announced to be in the final 23 for the tournament. He wasn't, so he's not on the roster. Good experience for him though to be involved with training for a major tournament and if Noel Okello can be in Herdman's plans, a CanPL call up isn't completely out of the question at some point in the not too distant future. Given the depth there is elsewhere in CMNT terms it is likely to be more the exception than the norm, however.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You had to be in the 40 man preliminary roster that was announced to be in the final 23 for the tournament. He wasn't, so he's not on the roster. Good experience for him though to be involved with training for a major tournament and if Noel Okello can be in Herdman's plans, a CanPL call up isn't completely out of the question at some point in the not too distant future. Given the depth there is elsewhere in CMNT terms it is likely to be more the exception than the norm, however.

Noble not Noel

20 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

Verhoeven was one of the better players on the pitch yet again today. I wonder if Silberbauer has him set on being more advanced rather than a regista?

I'd prefer Verhoeven further forward at this point. Where was Jose Hernandez tonight?

The quality of Terran Campbell’s goals should turn a few heads.  His left foot is deadly.  He seems to have found some confidence.  He could be a contender for the Golden Boot if he keeps growing his confidence.  Guys like him,  Verhoeven,  Chung,  Hernandez are going to be the stars in this league...hope we can hold on top them for a couple of seasons.  

Good game and nice to get a win again! With those couple of goals called off for offside, I was thinking here we go again, we will find a way to lose this, despite deserving a little more, but great goal by Campbell. 

Couple thoughts...

-Nice to see McCurdy banished. He works hard, but just does not seem to offer enough, and the more telling thing is that he has seemed to get worse. His first game or two, I did not find him too bad, but I think other teams realize they can pick on him. Unfortunately, MacNaughton is hurt now, so he may be back Sunday, unless Staro returns. 

-I am curious as to what exactly is wrong with Issey. He has played spot minutes here and there, and they say he is hurt, but no comments on it. I think with the Spring season lost, they may just be holding Issey and Staro back until the Fall season. However, if the young players continue to improve there may be no spot for Issey.

-Good to see Hernandez return

-I will finally get to use my season tickets on Sunday, as I am back in Canada. Please let it not be another 0-0 snooze fest with Edmonton.