Pacific FC - 2019 Season Thread

ted

As mentioned in another thread, Pacific finished their last game with players aged 18, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, and 21. Surrounding these guys with veterans like Haber, Issey, Fisk, and de Jong, who I assume is still around. Also there is some of our most successful retirees in Simpson and Friend running the show. Any fan of Canadian soccer has to have this team as the one of the ones that you want to be the most successful.

Edited by Stryker911

Finally, back in Canada and saw the game yesterday. Loved the environment and the set-up. Just minor things to tinker with to further improve the fan experience. I think the biggest issue was the fact that there was no way anyone could reasonably expect to leave at the half-time whistle, go to the washroom, grab a drink/food, and be back on time. But that of course is an issue at many sports stadiums.

As for the best player, that is a tough one. There are a few guys that you can make cases for, but I'll stick with Verhoeven.

I think once the spring season ends we should all go into more detailed thoughts and rankings.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, davey_twelve said:

Didn't think Pacific would be willing to spend that kind of money on an indoor facility. Will be interesting to see the amount of usage it receives. Lots of development going on in that part of town. 

The Friends opened a smaller version of this in North Van. They wanted to do something bigger, but had trouble finding a warehouse with the right zoning at the right price (land is a bit scarce on the North Shore). When I last chatted with them, the North Van place was pretty much fully booked by academy teams and gold level teams from the local clubs. I suspect this facility will be a scaled up version of the North Van one, will get excellent community use and probably has a solid stand-alone business case supporting it. 

19 hours ago, Soro17 said:

The Friends opened a smaller version of this in North Van. They wanted to do something bigger, but had trouble finding a warehouse with the right zoning at the right price (land is a bit scarce on the North Shore). When I last chatted with them, the North Van place was pretty much fully booked by academy teams and gold level teams from the local clubs. I suspect this facility will be a scaled up version of the North Van one, will get excellent community use and probably has a solid stand-alone business case supporting it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the facility is initially more profitable than the team! It is a great move. Good advertising and a way to further connect with the community. I imagine it will be heavily booked, as not just football, but baseball, rugby, American football will all be interested. Even hockey teams in the winter could consider it as an off-ice training facility if it is in their price range. 

I think it will be interesting to see if MacNaughton and Staro are ready for the start of the Fall season, I think Staro was held back once the spring season was lost. 

Well now that the mid-season break has come, it is definitely a good time to do some, meaningless, but interesting, roster grades!

Keepers- C-: I will elaborate on this more below, but generally, I would say we received at best the 5th best goalkeeping in the spring season (With HFX and Valour being the two teams we could maybe debate about it)

Village- D+: has mostly been solid, and has not made any glaring errors, but has also not really made a single save that you could really say went beyond something he probably should have had. I also find he is slow off his line, and this has led to a couple of plays where he was caught a bit in no mans land.

Wirth- C  After watching today I think it might be worth considering giving him more time. He did make a few strong plays today, and seemed more willing to bust off his line. But more time would tell. Either way, I am not strongly confident in the keepers.

I think our D gets a C-. I may be generous here, but I think our lack of depth has crippled us. I think finally moving away from McCurdy and trying out Baldismo helped greatly. 

McCurdy- F: Tries hard and has size, but is useful only in a deep bench role.

Smith- B: He has been solid both ways, but not spectacular. 

Staro- A: Too bad it was only one game.

MacNaughton- C I think he will look better with Staro to command him, when anchored to McCurdy, it was definitely not easy.

Chung- B: Similar to Smith, he has seemed solid both ways, as the problems on defense have been primarily in the middle.  

Legault- C+: Useful and it surprised me that it took so long for him to replace McCurdy, but loses a bit in the air. 

Baldisimo- A: He was solid as a d-mid, and honestly has looked passable in the middle of the back, I cannot imagine where we would have been without him. 

Mids- C+: They show a lot of promise and can dominate possession, but still have a tendency to be cheap in possession, which has cost us many times. 

Fisk- B: He has been pretty good and has a great work rate. I do not think he lost his starting job the last few weeks, but was rather being used as a bit of a second half ringer, while also saving his legs for the Fall Season. 

Issey- D-: His goal today was great, but he has been the most disappointing to me this year, He looks slow and kind of just floats around. It doesn't help that he is surrounded by a bunch of speedy youngsters. 

N. Verhoeven- A: Similar to Baldisimo, he has held the team together. We could have hoped he'd be useful, but not like this. He has areas to improve, but he is our engine. 

Z. Verhoven- C+; Has been very useful in spot appearances, and was surprising solid at the back today. Definitely a nice depth addition to havem who can possibly grow into a starting role next year. 

Hojabrpour- C-: Honesty I almost never notice him, which is I guess not good or bad, but you would expect him to have more of the ball. 

Blasco- B: Am I being harsh? Goals aside, he often creates chances only to get tunnel vision. I think he started quite poorly, but is hot now, and could be a one to watch going forward. 

Gonzalez- B+: I like his commanding presence. Watching his mannerisms, he seems to be a bit like the Papa in the mid-field since he arrived. He also helps improve the toughness of our mid-field. I know that is not a big thing, but he clearly doesn't take shit. He is one of the guys that gives me confidence in the Fall season. 

Forwards: C-: Great moments, but not enough sustained success.

Campbell- C+: Great in flashes, invisible for long stretches, pretty much sums it up to me.

Haber- D+: Really just needs people to bounce the ball in off his head. 

Hernandez- C+: Needs to stay healthy and try and have a consistent impact, even if it is just holding up the ball or moving off it. 

Manager- B: I think he did a great job of keeping this team together considering the injuries. He has also trusted the youth and, albeit slowly with McCurdy, made changes that seem to be needed. 

As a final note, many of these rankings were made vs. expectations. 

i also think, if Staro and MacNaughton get healthy, we have a great chance in the second half. 

Some key questions going forward:

How will some veterans react if they truly do lose their starting spots?

What is the best line-up if everyone is healthy?

Edited by ktf

A couple things to add:

Hojabrpour looked really good yesterday breaking up plays and making interceptions. While Gonzalez is the general in the middle, Hojabrpour might be able to make that second spot his. Will be interesting to see how he does next game with Gonzalez suspended.

The biggest issue with Campbell is no one seems to be able to work out how he wants the ball. I've never seen so many miscues for the final ball with him. In his defence he has to switch quite frequently from winger to target striker but he has the tools to succeed in either role.

I'm just as curious to see what the best line-up is once more people are healthy. It's interesting to note that even with such a small roster we've had 8 different players play out on the wings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, xancgr said:

Great effort by the boys today. Great to see Staro back. Would love to see this team without injuries, they would be fun to watch. Really hoping they make one or two experienced additions though.

It was nice to see Staro back. I felt his first few touches showed the rust, but with him and Gonzalez back in the line-up, I expect them to be much more composed.

If nothing else they are very entertaining to watch. Since I have returned to Canada and have finally used my season tickets personally, there has been 18 goals in 4 games. Not that goals are what makes it entertaining, but the chances have come quite fast and furious.

https://northerntribune.ca/pacific-fc-squad-competition/

We would very much like Marcus and Issey to come back as soon as possible, we very much appreciate the competition in our squad – but after that, it doesn’t matter how old you are or how much money you make. It should be the performance on the training pitch that gets you on the pitch, and then the performance on the pitch that keeps you on the pitch.”

Michael Silberbauer

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Are most of these young players free agents at the end of the season or were they signed to multiyear deals?

Good question. I know Josh recruited a lot of players with a sales pitch of something like "My goal is for you to play for a higher level team than mine." He is very supportive of player development. That said I hope they have signed multi-year deals so that the team can get some transfer money, the lifeblood of developmental/lower league teams.

10 minutes ago, ted said:

Good question. I know Josh recruited a lot of players with a sales pitch of something like "My goal is for you to play for a higher level team than mine." He is very supportive of player development. That said I hope they have signed multi-year deals so that the team can get some transfer money, the lifeblood of developmental/lower league teams.

I think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Looking at the young core, Chung, Legault, Baldisimo, Al-Ghamdi, N. Verhoeven, Z. Verhoven, Hojabrpour, Hernandez, and Campbell, I think there are, at this point, clearly a few guys who may want to jump up and have mutual interest from higher level teams. 

Right now: Campbell and N. Verhoeven seem the most likely to want to move up/be coveted by teams like VWC. Based on how their season is going, both these guys could be useful depth addition. I could see Baldisimo and Chung wanting to move up, but hopefully only in the right situation.

However, for the rest, I think they will all be back if they are wanted. They have all shown flashes and played here and there, but next year (especially if the ones mentioned leave) their roles could increase. Z. Verhoven, for example, has shown real flashes lately, it would be better for him to move up to a full-time starter for his development. 

For almost all the youngsters in the league the potential opportunity to step up will be a tempting one. I think there are only a handful that could really benefit at the present time.

The reality for most is that CPL playing time will be far greater than a squad role with occasional minutes in the MLS or Europe.