ted

Pacific FC - 2019 Season Thread

For almost all the youngsters in the league the potential opportunity to step up will be a tempting one. I think there are only a handful that could really benefit at the present time.

The reality for most is that CPL playing time will be far greater than a squad role with occasional minutes in the MLS or Europe.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

...The reality for most is that CPL playing time will be far greater than a squad role with occasional minutes in the MLS or Europe.

I wouldn't underestimate what making an extra 50k a year can do to a player's priorities.

Posted (edited)

There's the financial incentive and there's also the dream of playing in Europe. Look how many young players have jumped the pond from MLS clubs at the first opportunity. Vancouver rarely seems to hold onto a player into their 20's, and many that leave end up in lower divisions or smaller leagues. And that was happening when they were still operating reserved sides. Has anyone tried to get contract information out of the players/clubs, and does anyone know how long the typical USL contract if for?

Edited by Aird25

10 hours ago, ted said:

I think Josh and the players have higher ambitions than the Whitecaps. ;)

I didn't say they would go😂😂. I feel they could use a few of those guys right now! 

I'm curious about the contract information too. Not just the youngsters but the frequently injured vets as well.

As good as some of the young players have looked this season I don't think any of them have shown near enough consistency to make a move upward. I know people are disappointed with Silberbauer, but as far as developing young players goes, he gives playing time based on merit and lets players try positive, attractive soccer. Look at how Verhoven has played at RB these last few games, lots of coaches discourage a defender taking opponents on in their own half. I think most of the young core will be around next season.   

17 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

I know people are disappointed with Silberbauer, but as far as developing young players goes, he gives playing time based on merit and lets players try positive, attractive soccer. Look at how Verhoven has played at RB these last few games, lots of coaches discourage a defender taking opponents on in their own half. I think most of the young core will be around next season.   

Name one person disappointed with Silberbauer please, I haven't met one yet.

You are correct that he has been good for development and the players would benefit from another year under his charge. That's not how professional football works though. Young players seldom get left at this level if they show talent so I would suggest that we will be lucky to have more than 1/2 of the same roster in 2020.

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/76964-poll-whos-the-first-manager-to-get-the-boot/

Granted a lot of these votes are probably from people just looking at standings.

It'd be disappointing to see that much turnover in the roster. My guess is we won't lose more than two of the U21s by the start of next year. Contract situations will be a big factor though so I probably shouldn't start guessing yet. Any thoughts on who you think won't be around - and why?

17 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/76964-poll-whos-the-first-manager-to-get-the-boot/

Granted a lot of these votes are probably from people just looking at standings.

Hey davey_twelve, that is a poll about who you think will be let go by their clubs. It says nothing about how we as individuals think the managers are doing.

Are you disappointed in Silberbauer? If so, why?

Fair enough.

At this point in the season I'm good with Silberbauer. He has a vision for how he wants his team to the play and will make the difficult choices to implement it. Once more players return from being injured I expect the defence to look better but overall he's done well and I'm hoping he stays on.

Agreed, reinforcements are needed. I'm looking forward to the announcements. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that we're bringing in more youth, but how can an 18 year old have 10 senior caps but not be attached to a professional club? Seems strange.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Agreed, reinforcements are needed. I'm looking forward to the announcements. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that we're bringing in more youth, but how can an 18 year old have 10 senior caps but not be attached to a professional club? Seems strange.

It could be a rubbish country. St. Vincent and Grenadines, Belize, anyone? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a player from one of the minnows Canada recently played or perhaps even that Guatemalan club that Forge played, scouting being what it often is.

20 minutes ago, nolando said:

It could be a rubbish country. St. Vincent and Grenadines, Belize, anyone? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a player from one of the minnows Canada recently played or perhaps even that Guatemalan club that Forge played, scouting being what it often is.

I thought Friend said that it was with a country ranked higher than Canada though

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Apparently only one of them is supposed to be capped? If so, it would seem to rule out Stanese.

Have we capped Stanese at senior level?

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

...how can an 18 year old have 10 senior caps but not be attached to a professional club? Seems strange.

What seems strange is that you think that a player has to be "unattached" to be signed by another team.

What is strange is that you do not know that players in the NCAA system are technically "unattached".

What is strange is that you are throwing shade on the club by suggesting we cannot sign a decent quality player because if he is "unattached" he must be crap.

There are a whole myriad of reasons that a player might be available to PFC. You can **** on the signing after you find out who it is thanks.

grumpy brad jones GIF

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ted said:

What seems strange is that you think that a player has to be "unattached" to be signed by another team.

What is strange is that you do not know that players in the NCAA system are technically "unattached".

What is strange is that you are throwing shade on the club by suggesting we cannot sign a decent quality player because if he is "unattached" he must be crap.

There are a whole myriad of reasons that a player might be available to PFC. You can **** on the signing after you find out who it is thanks.

grumpy brad jones GIF

Lol no kidding. I didn't expect that reaction. WTF

I'm trying to figure out who the player could possibly be. How am I throwing shade? I can't think of anyone that fits the description given, because it's quite an impressive statistic to have 10 senior caps for a decent national team at 18. With the transfer window being closed, I thought they could only bring in players that aren't attached to another professional club. I suppose that could mean NCAA, but are there may 18 year old kids in the NCAA with 10 senior caps for a country that's ranked higher than Canada? I would have expected them to have gone professional long ago, or you know, just be finishing high school. I admit I don't follow NCAA, but I do follow international football.

Edited by Aird25