Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I find this quote worrying though it depends on the degree it is applied. If players are playing several positions and have recent experience playing them then it is fine but if he is removing players from their best position or playing them in positions they are not playing regularly just because he thinks they are better football players than our best player in that position then it is worrisome. One of our midfielders may indeed be a better overall football player than lets say our best left back but that does not mean he is a better left back.

The problem I have is that everytime Herdman speaks he makes me more worried about him. I can't shake the feeling that we have by far our best talent available since I have been following the team but they are being led by a high school coach.

I am also worried for the same reasons you are.

That said, I am more positive than I was last camp.

Out wide:

I do think Ballou's lack of playing time makes it easier to start him on the bench. I do think Millar's at a stage (for now) where we can start him on the bench. I do think David has shown he can do more than play as a winger. Who is left to start on the wings? Davies and Hoilett. So, that's the solution I see out wide.

Starting: Davies, Hoilett

Subs: Millar, Tabla

Centre midfield: Moving David inside would complicate things even more. Assuming he starts, we probably have to pick two from: Hutchinson, Piette, MAK, Teibert, Johnson, Arfield and Osorio. Five solid options remain, but we can only dress 18 players, so expect two not making the bench. The most versatile options would likely dress.

Starting: David, Hutchinson, Arfield

Subs: Osorio, Piette, MAK

Not dressed: Johnson, Teibert

As for other positions and possibilities for who doesn't dress, the third keeper (Thomas) and Edgar are prime candidates.

The final player to miss out? Likely either Godinho or ZBG, whoever doesn't win the position for this camp. Millar would likely be the cover.

Remember, versatility. 

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I find this quote worrying though it depends on the degree it is applied. If players are playing several positions and have recent experience playing them then it is fine but if he is removing players from their best position or playing them in positions they are not playing regularly just because he thinks they are better football players than our best player in that position then it is worrisome. One of our midfielders may indeed be a better overall football player than lets say our best left back but that does not mean he is a better left back.

The problem I have is that everytime Herdman speaks he makes me more worried about him. I can't shake the feeling that we have by far our best talent available since I have been following the team but they are being led by a high school coach.

I agree.  I am okay with the move against a team like French Guiana but come time vs a stronger competitor in Gold Cup or World Cup qualifying definitely not.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am also worried for the same reasons you are.

That said, I am more positive than I was last camp.

Out wide:

I do think Ballou's lack of playing time makes it easier to start him on the bench. I do think Millar's at a stage (for now) where we can start him on the bench. I do think David has shown he can do more than play as a winger. Who is left to start on the wings? Davies and Hoilett. So, that's the solution I see out wide.

Starting: Davies, Hoilett

Subs: Millar, Tabla

Centre midfield: Moving David inside would complicate things even more. Assuming he starts, we probably have to pick two from: Hutchinson, Piette, MAK, Teibert, Johnson, Arfield and Osorio. Five solid options remain, but we can only dress 18 players, so expect two not making the bench. The most versatile options would likely dress.

Starting: David, Hutchinson, Arfield

Subs: Osorio, Piette, MAK

Not dressed: Johnson, Teibert

As for other positions and possibilities for who doesn't dress, the third keeper (Thomas) and Edgar are prime candidates.

The final player to miss out? Likely either Godinho or ZBG, whoever doesn't win the position for this camp. Millar would likely be the cover.

Remember, versatility. 

Spot on.  ?

Can't imagine Godinho not getting the nod as hes been starting for a top Scottish team but who knows as Herdman has seem to really favour ZBG in previous qualifiers.

Would prefer 3 CBs, but with Vancouver's FAST field/turf & players selected, I think we go 4 at the back.

Based on the the boss's interview maybe something as wild as this? ?, & as "out of position" as it is, I do think this lineup would do just fine vs FG.

Cav  -   David

Hoilett - Arfield - WJ - Davies

MAK - Cornelius - Henry - Hutch

Borjan

Although been a few years, Hutch has played over 60 games + 5000 pro mins at RB. At RB, he backs up Davies and can send him in on some deadly runs (ZBG-Godinho: 20-21 old), Herdman might want some experience back there?   I have WJ ahead of Osorio & Piette (current form).

Interchange- Hutch central over WJ with Godinho RB or MAK central and adekugbe LB.

Not my ideal lineup, but I could see that, and truthfully, no doubt that lineup would do just fine.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I take it as Herdman needing to see versatility because during tourneys we will see injuries and suspensions. And during WC qualifying, most say we need a player pool of 30-40. 

So instead playing a tier 2 player in their proper position, Herdman wants the option to consider playing a tier 1 player out of position.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, Keegan said:

As you said, Hainault being captain of FCK is a big deal.  For a team that bemoans their lack of central defenders it’s shocking to call someone who has played one match all year in the English 5th division.  Hainault has probably played more matches in the past 2 months than Edgar has in the last 2 years.  In a must win game I would want him in there if we were running thin at the back.  

Hainault CMNT wise is also our most experienced defender despite being out of the team for a while and only being a year older than Edgar.  He’s been involved in 3 qualifying cycles and 4 gold cups.  Edgar has been in 2 cycles and 3 gold cups, which is the same as Straith who is 3 years younger.

Very valid points, based on our current defensive depth, perhaps we see 1 or both called into the GC when their European season's have finished.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I agree.  I am okay with the move against a team like French Guiana but come time vs a stronger competitor in Gold Cup or World Cup qualifying definitely not.

We keep saying this but when are we going to go with a formation and lineup to prepare for a stronger competitor? Our first game in the GC?. If not now then when?

Here's a thought. If we have 13 world class players are we going to play with 13? Part of developing and building quality depth is that quality players are going to end up on the bench and that is what good teams have. Subs that can make a difference. Playing players out of position just to get your most skilled players on the field is akin to a child in a candy store. I hope we are all just speculating and am keeping my fingers crossed that JH uses this game to set the team up for the GC.

5 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I mean our players would see more time on the ball if we played more than one game a window...

Man after we qualify for the GC and Nations League Group A.....I hope we move to 2 games a camp. 
We just have wayyyyy too many players now coming from all parts of the world for just a 1 off game.  It's beyond ridiculous. 

John Herdman is using the same kind of approach to the mens game as he did with the woman......but it's much more complex than that. 

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

Will Johnson over Osorio or piette is a joke right? He was only kept on Orlando because some mistake by the gm who was fired. Current form? You mean one or two MLS games? Osorio was playing the wing so don't judge him too harshly.

Shhhh.... everyone saw that and didnt say anything. 

If there's anyone in the midfield that plays with bite/ a pitbull mentality for the CMNT...I'm naming WJ first. But that's it. 
Ironically there's way too much quality young and old for him to be even considered a sub in the midfield. 

8 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

On another note, that league uses are really strange scoring system.  4 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 for a loss.

It's how it works in amateur leagues in France. IIRC, it's done to avoid forfeits. I know it worked like that in Women's D1 until 2016.

35 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Shhhh.... everyone saw that and didnt say anything. 

If there's anyone in the midfield that plays with bite/ a pitbull mentality for the CMNT...I'm naming WJ first. But that's it. 
Ironically there's way too much quality young and old for him to be even considered a sub in the midfield. 

Piette!!  He has been described, often, as a pitbull. Might not be as nasty as Johnson, but he's dogged and tenacious--and a better footballer.

And while MAK has many facets to his game, his physical game is certainly not soft.

6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Here's a thought. If we have 13 world class players are we going to play with 13? Part of developing and building quality depth is that quality players are going to end up on the bench and that is what good teams have. Subs that can make a difference. Playing players out of position just to get your most skilled players on the field is akin to a child in a candy store. I hope we are all just speculating and am keeping my fingers crossed that JH uses this game to set the team up for the GC.

So am I but how sad is that?? We are setting up for the GC in march.  We'll go into the June gold cup with 1 camp and 1 game in 2019 under our belt.  

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I'll take our MNT over college basketball (or anything else for that matter) any day of the week.?

I'm with you...but if they weren't playing, I'd be glued to the tv for March Madness or the USports Basketball Final 8.  Shameless plug for Canadian university hoops here.

19 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Will Johnson over Osorio or piette is a joke right? He was only kept on Orlando because some mistake by the gm who was fired. Current form? You mean one or two MLS games? Osorio was playing the wing so don't judge him too harshly.

Lol fair,

I was going based off Herdman direct interview where he said WJ has shown excellent pre season and early season form and is back in the mix.  He also had excellent link up play with Arfield and helped score the goal off Larin's behind when we beat Honduras in Vancouver, but ya that was 2 yrs ago so fair enough.

Where did I say I was judging Osorio too harshily? If you want my honest criticsm, I'm a big fan, he played amazing last spring. However, I don't think he's looked the same at all since his off season surgery, but I'm sure he will get back on track soon enough.

I had WJ there because I think Piette is extremely valuable as a 60 min sub if not starting.

That's not my ideal lineup by any means, I was just putting guys "out of position" from Herdman interview. Hopefully I'm just super over analyzing Herdman's interview. 

If we play 4-4-2 I'd go with

Cav - David

Hoilett - Arfield - Hutch - Davies

Akedugbe - Cornelius - Henry - Godhino

My favorite lineup is still the one Obinna posted.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Macksam said:

Their defense is better unfortunately.

Let's not kid ourselves.  Their D and mids are both better than ours.  And their forward line is much more experienced.  Maybe our starting keeper is better, but not by much. Their midfield has McKennie, Pulisic, Bradley, Roldan.  We don't even come close right now lol.  Those guys play on bigger clubs and have much more pedigree and international reputation

13 minutes ago, ImYourKeeper said:

Let's not kid ourselves.  Their D and mids are both better than ours.  And their forward line is much more experienced.  Maybe our starting keeper is better, but not by much. Their midfield has McKennie, Pulisic, Bradley, Roldan.  We don't even come close right now lol.  Those guys play on bigger clubs and have much more pedigree and international reputation

LOL, I was reading that as French G for the first four sentences....

10 minutes ago, ImYourKeeper said:

Never heard of Mckennie or Roldan. Just googled them. 41 appearances with Schalke for the former, impressive no doubt. The latter plays for the Sounders. Pulisic I would consider more of a forward winger like Davies/Tabla. I would consider Pulisic the best player right now on both sides of he field but the rest of the mid field/forwards, it’s pretty comparable imo. 

The deadline for supporters tickets is coming up fast.  

Vancouver people... please help us out here and share the event posts on Facebook.  Push this on Twitter.  Smack your soccer nerd friends around that don't have tickets yet.

Davies Davies Davies.... if you say his name three times tickets do not magically pop into your hands, you still have to buy them.

Archived