Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

I'm not understanding the hate for Piette's game tonight.  I thought he was his usual self, destroyed in midfield and made a few really class long range passes.  The back pass to Milan was dumb but I thought others also shared the blame in that play.

If I'm Bradley watching MAK I might explore using him there for LAFC.  It's a shame he was never tested defensively because I want to see if he can be our starting LB.  He looked more like Hutch than Hutch himself tonight.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I'm not understanding the hate for Piette's game tonight.  I thought he was his usual self, destroyed in midfield and made a few really class long range passes.  The back pass to Milan was dumb but I thought others also shared the blame in that play.

If I'm Bradley watching MAK I might explore using him there for LAFC.  It's a shame he was never tested defensively because I want to see if he can be our starting LB.  He looked more like Hutch than Hutch himself tonight.

Kaye is such an athlete I think you could play him at lb DM cm even left wing. 

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

He did look good at LB, but personally I think he needs to play as a CM where he can have more influence on the game. He has the engine, is good defensively and moves the ball quickly as he has done with LAFC. He can also chip in a few goals. A big guy and difficult to get around. You can see the improvement from his play from the last GC when he was good...lots of confidence.

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The hilights show Milan playing the ball to Piette for some weird reason when there was pressure around. Sam gave a soft pass back and Milan attempted a cheeky play that failed. 

5 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

The hilights show Milan playing the ball to Piette for some weird reason when there was pressure around. Sam gave a soft pass back and Milan attempted a cheeky play that failed. 

Milan was in one of those moods where he wanted some action.  After the first two plays outside of his box in the first 15 minutes you knew something had to give.  It’s like our guys were looking to embarrass the other team with risky plays in our end and we embarrassed ourselves.

6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Kaye is such an athlete I think you could play him at lb DM cm even left wing. 

He did great. Didnt Zambrano play him there? 

He was gassed by the time he was cm though which was fair enough considering the shift he put in. Cemented his place for the summer with his versatility and from commentary seems he has a strong relationship with herdman.

Love the guy. Please stay fit. 

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Milan was in one of those moods where he wanted some action.  After the first two plays outside of his box in the first 15 minutes you knew something had to give.  It’s like our guys were looking to embarrass the other team with risky plays in our end and we embarrassed ourselves.

I blame borjan 110% for the goal. He had multiple chances to clear it but wanted to be fancy. Deservedly embarrassed and hopefully got a rollicking.  Piette did some great things today. Dominating tackles and dispossesions we know he is capable of. I think like borjan though he also got too comfortable and on more than a few occasions got caught trying for fancy and full on dispossesions where the opposition simply got by him and left him lunging. That put us under pressure with him 3 or 4 feet behind trying to catch up. I don't think these are lapses or concentration or more likely over confidence we would see against better opposition.

what was with osorio sauntering off down the tunnel after being subbed out, pouting and yelling and tossing things in the tunnel ? They sent a coach to come get him and he then sat pouting on the bench throwing his shin guards down like a child. I can understand being pissed that you go subbed out for "Rudy" Teibert but come on man, grow up.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

I blame borjan 110% for the goal. He had multiple chances to clear it but wanted to be fancy. Deservedly embarrassed and hopefully got a rollicking.  

Well, it's not like there's any competition in goal. Like Herdman's gonna put Thomas in goal instead of him. 

Cavallini was MOTM for me. What a beast.

David a close runner-up. Such a smart, versatile player.

HM to Hoilett who was our most dangerous player in the 1st half (other than Borjan ?). He faded in the 2nd though.

Not sure why Teibert was subbed on. The guy has seen little to no action this season. He also lives in Vancouver... why not give a run out to a kid like Millar or even Tabla. Both have higher upside that Teibert and came from halfway across the world. That said, Teibert was fine and again showed he is a very capable sub.

Backline is scary = truth.

Atiba jumping in with the supporters at the end of the game was amazing. Much respect for him. Honestly, he's not the Atiba of old, but god damn would I love for him to retire from the National team on the heels of a Gold Cup victory!

Finally, great job by the Vs! And the stadium looked fairly full all things considered. Good job Vancity ?

ps- we need more games

Just getting back into town after a fantastic weekend in Vancouver. Going to the game live, and meeting many Voyageurs from BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan (in addition to reacquainting with others) really renewed my desire to support the national team in the stands. It's so great to see the great times everyone has with each other in person, in contrast to this site where it feels like negativity rules the world.

54258310_503687480160693_7085992084670251008_n.png

55698688_2241855276132733_7265954336813875200_n.png?width=851&height=514

D2c82uVUgAYz46h.jpg:large

21 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Yeah, Piette is not solely to blame for the goal. Borjan was far to casual on this play.  

26 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Yeah, Piette is not solely to blame for the goal. Borjan was far to casual on this play.  

I m pretty sure Milan would go all out to clear a ball like that in a crucial WCQ. I m kind of glad he didn t do it yesterday because it s the kind of play where you see keepers getting badly injured.

3 hours ago, aloyol said:

I m pretty sure Milan would go all out to clear a ball like that in a crucial WCQ. I m kind of glad he didn t do it yesterday because it s the kind of play where you see keepers getting badly injured.

No, he was too casual on the initial pass to Piette. Borjan could have cleared that to the wings, not back to the middle of the pitch.

7 hours ago, The Beaver said:

No, he was too casual on the initial pass to Piette. Borjan could have cleared that to the wings, not back to the middle of the pitch.

Sorry, I thought you mean he wasn't agressive enough on the last play, which I think he was but don't really mind against FG.

I don't think the pass to Piette was casual, a good back pass by Piette and it's an easy clearance for Milan, not a 50-50. Anyways, I'm glad this happened at this stage :)

10 hours ago, The Beaver said:

It seemed like a poor choice of pass since Piette had nowhere else to go but back to Borjan. Also, Borjan could see the attacker jump to put pressure on Piette so there was no excuse for being so lackadaisical in meeting the return pass. Just overconfident play IMO and I'd give Borjan 95% of the blame there. 

Totally agree. (And to be clear, I was right there, with a perfect view of the play.)  Maybe the word I used to describe the pass--i.e. "casual"--was not the right one. Cocky might be more apt. It was a pass into a dangerous area, for sure. Aloyol is right: I am glad this happened in this game. Let's clean up this silly stuff as quickly as possible. (We need more friendlies.)

I like that we are trying to be more modern by playing out of the back, but it is plays like that that make me long for a defender (or a keeper) occasionally willing to put their foot through the ball and get it upfield.  I know this isn't the best default option, but it seems like the interest in playing it out of the back sometimes comes with undue risks.

Sometimes that is the best option.  Playing out of the back is great with talented players on the backline and in net, but even then there are always situations where it is more appropriate to hammer the ball up the field and make the other team play through all 10 outfield players to get a chance on net.  You would think most pros would have that down without issue.  Our team is usually good for one major screw up every game and that could be the difference between a 2-1 loss and a 1-1 draw against better opposition.  Now that we have some attacking power I would much rather our D take no chances and hoof the ball up the pitch rather than gift the opposition a chance/goal.

Archived