• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Let’s play a 5-6 and Edgar as sweeper keeper

————————-Edgar—————————

hoilett—Cornelius————Henry—Davies

Tabla—arfield—Mak—Atiba—Osorio—Millar

And even with 6 forwards we cannot squeeze Jonathan David into our starting 11!!!!

4 hours ago, Toje said:

The squad for French Guiana has been announced.  Almost all players are locally based, with the exception of two.

- Kevin Rimane (on loan at Istra in Croatia from PSG)

- Jules Haabo (Jerez CF)

https://guyane-foot.fff.fr/wp-content/uploads/sites/114/bsk-pdf-manager/fb3cd0cfe7a956393800663e7d0138ae.pdf

Actually I see a few players here based in the French league (Ligue 2 and lower).  

28 minutes ago, Toje said:

I see that now, as obviously the French Guiana FA considers players in France as local ;)

Since French Guiana is a French Overseas Possession (like St Pierre et Miquelon), they may actually be governed by the French Football Federation - so they may be considered “local” for that reason.

I think our strongest line-up would be a 4-3-3 that looks more like a 4-3-2-1

-------------------------Borjan-------------------------

Godinho--Henry--Cornelius--Adekugbe

----------Osorio--Hutchinson--Kaye---------

Davies--------------------------------------Hoilett

-----------------------Cavallini-----------------------

14 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

I think our strongest line-up would be a 4-3-3 that looks more like a 4-3-2-1

-------------------------Borjan-------------------------

Godinho--Henry--Cornelius--Adekugbe

----------Osorio--Hutchinson--Kaye---------

Davies--------------------------------------Hoilett

-----------------------Cavallini-----------------------

Airfield starts no matter what imo

This lineup is what I have been thinking for a while.

With De Jong and James not called Adekugbe and Henry easily slide into starting roles. Edgar also fits as a backup in place of Jakovic who wasn’t called. I have Cornelius starting over Henry just due to the fact that James and Henry are quite similar and prone to mistakes. Cornelius has a bit more of a level head and ball moving ability. The RB position is a real toss up between all 3 players.

In this lineup I can see all 5 “midfield” players defending if they need to. Davies and Hoilett could narrow while defending to compress the center of the pitch. Or if the wingers are caught down field David could potentially drop back. All 3 of the “attacking mids” are known to be able to defend which allows us to play only 2 natural mids. 

If we are desperately in need of a goal Arfield can press further forwards and David could play as a second striker. Bring on Larin as he plays well in space which hopefully David will open up. 

Not a perfect lineup, but i could see this lineup being successful against both strong and weak oponents. 

A89A006E-A319-43A9-B767-A651710D8586.jpeg

Looks like Yoann Salmier is one of their more experienced players with over 60 caps for Strasbourg, albeit the majority came before they were promoted to Ligue 1. 

Kevin Rimane has played a bunch of games for PSG B and now finds himself in the Croatian top division. 

Could Piette or Atiba play CB beside Henry?

Borjan

Godinho-Atiba-Henry-Adekubge

———-Kaye——Arfield————-

Hoilet——-David——-Davies

————-Cavalinni—————

Maybe even play Kaye at LB to get Osorio or Piette on the field? 

23 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Could Piette or Atiba play CB beside Henry?

Borjan

Godinho-Atiba-Henry-Adekubge

———-Kaye——Arfield————-

Hoilet——-David——-Davies

————-Cavalinni—————

Maybe even play Kaye at LB to get Osorio or Piette on the field? 

Don't see that happening, no offense.

Henry and Cornelius are building chemistry and we'll likely see that continue. Cornelius is also left footed, so I think they'll want him in the left CB spot. Furthermore, Atiba is best in the CDM role, so that's where we want him, not out of position.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't see that happening, no offense.

Henry and Cornelius are building chemistry and we'll likely see that continue. Cornelius is also left footed, so I think they'll want him in the left CB spot. Furthermore, Atiba is best in the CDM role, so that's where we want him, not out of position.

Herdman did say something about getting the 11 best guys on the field and seeing how versatile some players are on the squad. 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

This lineup is what I have been thinking for a while.

With De Jong and James not called Adekugbe and Henry easily slide into starting roles. Edgar also fits as a backup in place of Jakovic who wasn’t called. I have Cornelius starting over Henry just due to the fact that James and Henry are quite similar and prone to mistakes. Cornelius has a bit more of a level head and ball moving ability. The RB position is a real toss up between all 3 players.

In this lineup I can see all 5 “midfield” players defending if they need to. Davies and Hoilett could narrow while defending to compress the center of the pitch. Or if the wingers are caught down field David could potentially drop back. All 3 of the “attacking mids” are known to be able to defend which allows us to play only 2 natural mids. 

If we are desperately in need of a goal Arfield can press further forwards and David could play as a second striker. Bring on Larin as he plays well in space which hopefully David will open up. 

Not a perfect lineup, but i could see this lineup being successful against both strong and weak oponents. 

A89A006E-A319-43A9-B767-A651710D8586.jpeg

This is the basic formation and personnel I tend to see - just a few tweaks in def.  Does De Jong start over Adekugbe?  I am inclined to reverse that, but you never know.  And James didn't get the call, so Henry would be the CB beside Cornelius.  Other than that, I like the 4-4-1-1 and think it plays to our strengths in mid and up front.  Osorio is probably the biggest omission from the starting 11, but I really can't see dropping anyone listed to make room for him.  Piette as well, to a lesser extent, since he duplicates Hutch's function.

Crazy that we can actually justify leaving that calibre of player on the bench right now.   

21 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Herdman did say something about getting the 11 best guys on the field and seeing how versatile some players are on the squad. 

True, but I don't think that'll be his solution.

He was asked, if I recall correctly, if Alphonso would play as an attacker. He responded by hinting he would, but also mentioned his philosophy of having best 11 on the field. Either way, his comment was likely made with Alphonso in mind, not Hutchinson.

If his philosophy wins out, it will most likely be Adekugbe missing out, not Cornelius. He has been a sure-starter for Herdman, while Adekugbe has been in and out of the team. Plus Sam plays left back, which is Alphonso's alternative position, and Alphonso is the one player who will play if healthy, guaranteed.

I took Herdmans comments to mean that we might see Johnson/MAK tried at fullback.  I think he knows he has the players he can rely on in the middle already, especially with Eustaquio in the near future so I think he wants to see who can adapt out of that group.

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I took Herdmans comments to mean that we might see Johnson/MAK tried at fullback.  I think he knows he has the players he can rely on in the middle already, especially with Eustaquio in the near future so I think he wants to see who can adapt out of that group.

I definitely don't see Johnson at full back.

When Herdman was asked about Johnson's exclusion up until now, he mentions that last season Johnson was playing out of position at fullback, but now he is back in the midfield and putting in some great showings, so the timing was right for his national team return. 

Why would Herdman play him out of position with Canada when playing out of position at Orlando was one of the reasons he wasn't called up last year?

I could see MAK at fullback before Johnson. It probably is an option for Herdman. It likely depends on the form of Adekugbe.

16 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Interesting quote from the Herds-Man:

“A big part of what we want to do is, we want to get the result but going in to the Gold Cup, we want to understand what versatility we have in certain players. “The goal will be to have our best players on the field and I think that’s critical. There’s no point me having three world class midfielders sitting on the bench and three on there playing. We have to find a way to be able to get players on the field that can contribute, and that might be in a different position."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/13/herdmans-latest-canada-roster-about-big-picture-including-2022?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

I find this quote worrying though it depends on the degree it is applied. If players are playing several positions and have recent experience playing them then it is fine but if he is removing players from their best position or playing them in positions they are not playing regularly just because he thinks they are better football players than our best player in that position then it is worrisome. One of our midfielders may indeed be a better overall football player than lets say our best left back but that does not mean he is a better left back.

The problem I have is that everytime Herdman speaks he makes me more worried about him. I can't shake the feeling that we have by far our best talent available since I have been following the team but they are being led by a high school coach.

Archived