Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

6 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

The leagues are definitely comparable but I don’t think the teams are. Kilmarnock is one of the best teams in spfl while Orlando was one of the worst last year. So IMHO walking in to kilmarnock squad is a lot harder than Orlando’s. Also discrediting u23 is stupid considering it’s still a good level of play.

With all due respect, outside of Celtic and Ranger, the league is pretty bad.  I watch a lot of streaming video when Miller and David are playing and the Belgian Jupiler League is miles better.  Same for MLS.  Drop the top 4 teams from SPL and MLS and you'll see that MLS teams have far higher player budgets, infrastructure, revenue streams, etc.  The disparity gap between the top and bottom teams is nowhere as bad compared to SPL.

Now, if Millar actually got into the game day 18 with the top team, that would be an entirely different discussion altogether. Same for Tabla.  There are loads of U20's, U-23's, etc., who don't get a sniff of the game day roster.  

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I suspect Edgar was called over Straith or Hainault because neither has been called for the national team for a couple of years and never under Herdman....

Herdman being from the NE of England won't have harmed Edgar's chances of a call up.  It's difficult to argue with his pedigree in terms of former clubs, if he is getting back to full fitness, but one game at Hartlepool seems a bit premature to make a judgment on that.

I like the roster. Just remember how many head scratchers we’ve had over the years regarding selection from past coaches. 

I can see Herdman focusing on our young crop of talent and is trying to surround them with good pros; I like it. We’re thinking big picture here.

And as many people have pointed out, there are loads of things that go on behind the scenes that we have no clue about. The Edgar addition seems exactly what it looks like and maybe his ability to bond with the younger players has added something very valuable. Perhaps Herdman doesn’t want to mess that up by recalling Straith or Hainault over Edgar  (to be fair, lots of respect to both Straith/Hainault who have made respectable careers out of professional football but both seem far from being important pieces to our program moving forward. I hope both prove me wrong)

I get the leadership of calling up an Edgar but people are suggesting that you shouldn't care if they aren't considered a top 14 player since only 14 players play in the upcoming game.  I think people are missing a very important point.  There are players that are missing out on training and showcasing their talents for the Canadian National team program & coaches.  This Canadian team will also have a few training sessions before the actual game.

Personally I believe Edgar's playing days with Canada are done and I believe there is already enough leadership on this team to leave him home.  Why not call a younger player (Fraser, Miller, Tesho) to train with the team.  Players that will possibly contribute to this program for years to come.  If they truly are the 23rd player on this list then why not get a young player/fringe player involved.

Just my opinion.

While I’m sure the Geordie connection doesn’t hurt, what none of us see or hear is the interaction with Edgar, Straith, and Hainault with Herdman. You know he’s had interviews with all of them, because that’s his MO. It may just be that he and Edgar “click” and share a similar outlook more than the other two. You could see in that TSN video how Herdman lit up talking about MAK and yet how guarded he was about Johnson. Herdman is all about chemistry and I would guess that’s why Edgar’s there. I would also guess that he’s giving Johnson one camp to be fair-minded and see if he fits in to this team’s culture or not. Based on the video, I don’t think he’s optimistic. 

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I suspect Edgar was called over Straith or Hainault because neither has been called for the national team for a couple of years and never under Herdman. I think that is understandable in the situation but the problem I have with it is it is again yet another negative thing coming from us not playing very many games since Herdman has taken over (which may or may not be something he has much influence over but he does not seem overly concerned by it).

I think you’re giving a little too much credit there even.  Is it understandable because he’s called Edgar before?  If that’s the case  we should have called Jakovic ahead of Edgar. 

As you said, Hainault being captain of FCK is a big deal.  For a team that bemoans their lack of central defenders it’s shocking to call someone who has played one match all year in the English 5th division.  Hainault has probably played more matches in the past 2 months than Edgar has in the last 2 years.  In a must win game I would want him in there if we were running thin at the back.  

Hainault CMNT wise is also our most experienced defender despite being out of the team for a while and only being a year older than Edgar.  He’s been involved in 3 qualifying cycles and 4 gold cups.  Edgar has been in 2 cycles and 3 gold cups, which is the same as Straith who is 3 years younger.

I suspect these guys are being viewed as “old news” and they’re disposable for Herdman to play favourites with Edgar for now.  But it’s bullshit because you know that if we discovered a German centre back captaining his team at the 3rd division who had a Canadian grandparent they would be “new and shiny” and we would be all over calling them and there would be an insta video etc. 

I’ll give Edgar the benefit of the doubt. He was our best player prior to his injury. I can understand where the ridicule is coming from but, i’m not taking out my pitchfork

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I’ll give Edgar the benefit of the doubt. He was our best player prior to his injury. I can understand where the ridicule is coming from but, i’m not taking out my pitchfork

1) Edgar has never been our best player or even top 5.

2) That injury was at 29 in 2016.  It is now 2019.. if he hasn’t reached his previous level yet then it’s not gonna happen.

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

1) Edgar has never been our best player or even top 5.

2) That injury was at 29 in 2016.  It is now 2019.. if he hasn’t reached his previous level yet then it’s not gonna happen.

Sorry i mean’t best center back. Huge typo

I saw Edgar in what I think was his home debut for Whitecaps, a friendly vs. Crystal Palace, and I remember him very well. He was intense, was in communication with other backs and keeper, anticipates well, he is a solid pro who frankly gave me a better feeling than a few others we've seen since (Henry). My feeling is that he came into Caps very psyched, so he was very unlucky with that dumb injury. 

Just on that basis, watching him live, I have a very positive idea of his potential. Sometimes, unless you actually watch a guy carefully, you really can't know. Both virtues and flaws.

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Only about 10 days away, and still not sure how we are going to watch this. TSN schedules all show tennis and golf.

The game is still listed at oz.com - which is how we watched the away matches. But the last home match was blacked out in Canada.

https://www.oz.com/concacafgo/video/9f40ee09-9a55-46d2-b559-d87398a5069b

If no one has the broadcast rights in Canada I believe it will be on oz

I'm mixed on Edgar.  He's been a solid Championship/Division 1 pro for most of his career in Britain and, with the right CB partner, a guy who could lead and organize a back line, like a Drew Moor type.  I only saw him a couple of times with the Caps at the end of the regular season before he blew out his tire in the offseason and I didn't see him as a very good complement for Waston:  in the one match (I don't remember the opponent), neither played very well and seemed slow to anticipate and react (my assessment of that match might be in the Whitecaps archive on here). 

At the end of the day a gaffer has his favourites among role players which he likes or doesn't like.  Floro liked using Straith in two roles (CB and holding mid) but played Hainault for half a friendly (vs Jamaica at BMO) before giving him the hook and never using him again.  Zambrano liked Vitoria but he's out of the picture here.  Cornelius seems to be a favourite with this staff because of his youth and upside but once the Tunisian CB finally gets healthy and on the field, with Godoy and Henry still in the mix, is Cornelius going to play much apart from the Vees Cup?  How's he going to look starting in a GC match if he has only had limited club minutes/starts?

I don't think we're in a position to discard or disqualify guys because of age or league level.  It all boils down to who fits Herdman's vision the best, and that might include Davies as the first choice LB.

9 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

I like the roster. Just remember how many head scratchers we’ve had over the years regarding selection from past coaches. 

I can see Herdman focusing on our young crop of talent and is trying to surround them with good pros; I like it. We’re thinking big picture here.

And as many people have pointed out, there are loads of things that go on behind the scenes that we have no clue about. The Edgar addition seems exactly what it looks like and maybe his ability to bond with the younger players has added something very valuable. Perhaps Herdman doesn’t want to mess that up by recalling Straith or Hainault over Edgar  (to be fair, lots of respect to both Straith/Hainault who have made respectable careers out of professional football but both seem far from being important pieces to our program moving forward. I hope both prove me wrong)

We haven't really had head scratcher selections from any coaches since Yallop. Like in this lineup there is always debate about a few of the marginal selections but whatever flaws our coaches have had for the last decade making bad selections was not one of them. 90% of this lineup was no-brainer. Herdman got the no-brainers right so he gets some credit for that but I don't think a whole lot. Most people here would have selected the exact same no-brainer players. I am not as sure he got the other 10% right which may or may not have consequences. As we get better players hopefully the lineups will have more competition and less no-brainer decisions and whether he gets those right could be very important in the future. 

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Only about 10 days away, and still not sure how we are going to watch this. TSN schedules all show tennis and golf.

The game is still listed at oz.com - which is how we watched the away matches. But the last home match was blacked out in Canada.

https://www.oz.com/concacafgo/video/9f40ee09-9a55-46d2-b559-d87398a5069b

......and March Madness on 3 channels (TSN) and a basketball game (I think) on another. There is definitely room if they want to show the game. You don't need 3 channels showing March Madness.

26 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

......and March Madness on 3 channels (TSN) and a basketball game (I think) on another. There is definitely room if they want to show the game. You don't need 3 channels showing March Madness.

You do if you want to cover three different games.  March Madness is magical!  

Interesting quote from the Herds-Man:

“A big part of what we want to do is, we want to get the result but going in to the Gold Cup, we want to understand what versatility we have in certain players. “The goal will be to have our best players on the field and I think that’s critical. There’s no point me having three world class midfielders sitting on the bench and three on there playing. We have to find a way to be able to get players on the field that can contribute, and that might be in a different position."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/13/herdmans-latest-canada-roster-about-big-picture-including-2022?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

14 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Interesting quote from the Herds-Man:

“A big part of what we want to do is, we want to get the result but going in to the Gold Cup, we want to understand what versatility we have in certain players. “The goal will be to have our best players on the field and I think that’s critical. There’s no point me having three world class midfielders sitting on the bench and three on there playing. We have to find a way to be able to get players on the field that can contribute, and that might be in a different position."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/13/herdmans-latest-canada-roster-about-big-picture-including-2022?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

Well that's as blunt as you can get. Expect Davies at LB.

Archived