Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

9 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

He's never had continuity in a first team environment.  If he were to win a starting spot with the Impact, then sure he's earned it. Cordova is coming off an injury so maybe that has something to do with this selection, but I doubt it. ZBG is a Herdman favourite, I hope he develops. Herdman was ahead of the Curve selecting David so I'll keep an open mind for now.

Godinho is hands down our starting RB, assuming we play with fullbacks.

Fair enough. I put my stock into him because he has demonstrated he is a good player, but your apprehension is certainly valid.

He'll have to show and prove in MLS to answer his critics, that's for sure.

Should be interesting to see who earns the start, but either way, we have two young capable options at RB. For years that was a problematic position after Stalteri left. Ledgerwood did okay as a stop-gap, while others who were shoehorned in ranged from mediocre to awful. 

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

----------------------Borjan------------------------

Godinho---Henry--Cornelius--Adekugbe

-----------Hutchinson---Arfield-----------------

Davies-------------David---------------Hoilett

----------------------Cavallini-------------------------

Has to be something like this, imo.

51 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

As for the squad selection, a bit surprised that Johnson is back but as he's playing regularly at the moment this is not a bad thing. That said my guess is that he, Piette and Teibert will start on the bench in terms of the midfielders. Rusty Teibert is just that - rusty from not having played any games yet this year. Also expect Cavallini will continue to get the start up front over Larin. I suspect we still might see Davies at left back for this game so that he, Hoillet and David can all start at the same time.

4-2-3-1 can accommodate Cav Davies Hoilett and David in attacking positions with Hutch and Arfield behind them. Looks like Obinna beat me to it...LOL

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

4-2-3-1 can accommodate Cav Davies Hoilett and David in attacking positions with Hutch and Arfield behind them. Looks like Obinna beat me to it...LOL

Yup, fully agree. David's emergance as a second striker / central attacking midfielder makes it possible. 

Whether the coaching staff see it like us remain to be seen. I hope they do. We know they have been watching David. Are they flexible enough to make changes? We'll see...

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Only three center backs... Must be going to four at the back. 

Even 3 center backs is less than the average for 4 at the back

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is the logical lineup, but I dont think we will see it.  Given Herdman's selections, this would only leave 2 defensive subs as cover for that entire backline. 

I think we will see another attacking monstrosity featuring Millar and Davies as "wingbacks":

--------------------Borjan

---------------Henry Corny

----------------Hutch Ariel

Millar Hoilett David Tabla Davies

-------------------Cavallini

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

This is the logical lineup, but I dont think we will see it.  Given Herdman's selections, this would only leave 2 defensive subs as cover for that entire backline. 

I think we will see another attacking monstrosity featuring Millar and Davies as "wingbacks":

He’d be underestimating French Guiana if he put out that lineup.

On paper, this is a good roster of call-ups. Just looking at the US roster vs Ecuador, Canada's lineup looks better.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I like it but arfield isn't a defensive midfielder. 

Just now, red card said:

On paper, this is a good roster of call-ups. Just looking at the US roster vs Ecuador, Canada's lineup looks better.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)

They have such a better defense, midfield is even and Canada has a way better set of forwards. 

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

In addition to the 2 defensive subs Will J has played right back and Sam Piette has played as a CB for Montreal a few times. Atiba could also slot into the back 4 if need arises. Not ideal but there are options

Or maybe this formation:

Cavallini ––– David

Davies ––– Kaye ––– Arfield –––Godinho

Hutchinson

Cornelius ––– Edgar ––– Henry

Borjan

1 minute ago, Grandbloke said:

Or maybe this formation:

Cavallini ––– David

Davies ––– Kaye ––– Arfield –––Godinho

Hutchinson

Cornelius ––– James ––– Henry

Borjan

James not called. And Henry at RB has been less than great.

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree 100%. Those front 6 all have to start and will start and to me that’s the best way to sort it out formation wise. 

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Disappointed not to see Wotherspoon, Cordova, Akindele, Vitoria, Straith.  

I don't see either of those getting a start or even minutes with this roster and opponent. With it being all the way in Vancouver, it maybe just didn't make sense financially either. Not saying I agree with the financial part, but might be more to the story.

46 minutes ago, red card said:

On paper we compare pretty well with teams ranked mid-50s. If a couple of our guys develop we should be up there with them. 

Only 2 players, I wish I saw in there was Miller and James as CB options. However, I understand the omission with current club situation.

My game thoughts:

1 game vs FG, who we should be playing to win.  Calling 6 natural defenders is okay.

Both defensive formations (4 at back - 3 at back )are available against a team WE SHOULD be beating. 

Maybe we see both this game? Regardless, looking forward to see Herdman's decisions.

My player selection thoughts (on the hotter topics):

ZBG- Not sure the beef with him being called? Has played in a 3 at the back with the CMNT, NA based, would prolly be starting with Impact if they did not have Sagna. Plus his age(20) + high ceiling. Also was brought in late for Impact one game when they moved to 5 at the back to help secure a 1 goal lead when on the road. 

Edgar - I am okay with this, I do understand people's justified criticism. However, look at almost all National Teams (yes even the best ones). They almost always call in a 30+ CB for leadership, experience, game film study, guidance etc. does not mean he will see the field. There is alot more then just the 90 mins of the game. For me Edgar fits the qualities I just mentioned, in addition to almost 50 caps.

Johnson -  Interesting was my initial thought, more I thought about it: he can still ball, plays with fire, plus his experience. When Hutchinson hangs them up (hopefully never), Johnson is an experienced capable depth midfielder, especially with his midfield versatility.  100% Herdman should see him in camp from a bird's eye view.

RT - Vancouver based, fill out the 23 man roster for 1 game and small camp. With his previous CMNT experience, it makes sense. Sure, maybe like to see others fill out the 23 man roster, but also his selection for many reasons is fine.

Everyone else - wow strong quad - I think most of us on here agree with! 

Overall I am pleased with selection.

1 hour ago, red card said:

Their defense is better unfortunately.

Archived