Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

In addition to the 2 defensive subs Will J has played right back and Sam Piette has played as a CB for Montreal a few times. Atiba could also slot into the back 4 if need arises. Not ideal but there are options

Yes even MAK could prolly play as FB.

I think 6 natural defenders, with 3-4 roster options who could (worse case scenario) is sufficient for this game/camp.

Not condescending FG , but IMO I think this roster selection has enough defensive coverage and allows Herdman to have a look at some more of our midfield options.

The Gold cup roster will have some of these midfield spots allocated to more natural defensive players IMO, or at least I hope so.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

4-2-3-1 can accommodate Cav Davies Hoilett and David in attacking positions with Hutch and Arfield behind them. Looks like Obinna beat me to it...LOL

Looks like we are definitely seeing a back four, according to the Herdman interview here:

https://www.tsn.ca/davies-to-return-to-vancouver-for-concacaf-nations-league-qualifier-1.1271976

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If Ferreira and Tomori switch and once Eustáquio gets healthy. I think we could be pretty close at  par with the US. I think our depth would be the only question. 

I might actually need Ritalin if this happens.

1 hour ago, red card said:

On paper, this is a good roster of call-ups. Just looking at the US roster vs Ecuador, Canada's lineup looks better.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)

I think the "gap" is closing particularly in the midfield & up front, but I don't think our overall roster looks better when you take the keeper & defender positions into consideration (and especially if you take into account depth). Even in midfield they have three guys getting regular minutes in the Bundesliga (including two in the top three clubs in that league), which isn't something we can't really claim at this time.

Anyone else okay with James not getting the call?

I am personally fine with it. Leave him in Denmark to focus on winning a spot with his club. It is a critical time for him.

Or another way to look at it is: No gametime? No call-up.

Edgar is the exception, as he's clearly there for his leadership. Now, you can argue with that strategy certainly, but I am personally okay with it for this competition. There is not much experience on our backline.

Sorry guys but at RB, it's Godhino's to lose with all the recent starts

There's a reason why I did not like the ZBG loan from Lyon to Montreal. It isn't as much as an MLS thing. It's a Remi Garde and Montreal thing. The odds of him displacing Sagna are slim to none. Outside of the Canadian Championship and a few minutes here and there, he isn't seeing much time in Montreal, hence my frustration at the loan.

Anyways, at RB

1-Godhino

2-Zachary Brault-Guillard

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I just don't understand why they didn't call up James, it's not like he's playing much and has a spot to lose in Norway. I rate him as the best CB in the country. 

He plays in Denmark and he's just returned to his club from loan so I imagine this is to allow him to stay with them and to try and win some playing time. 

50 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like we are definitely seeing a back four, according to the Herdman interview here:

https://www.tsn.ca/davies-to-return-to-vancouver-for-concacaf-nations-league-qualifier-1.1271976

Also sounds like Davies won't be at LB, but he didn't explicitly say that (at least not yet, not finished listening but he mentioned the back four already).

Call up who ever is playing and performing at the top levels. 

I don't like the Edgar call-up, as i think he needs to get his club career settled - but i understand it. 

We have to usher in the new generation of players. Im disappointed that Kamal Miller isnt there. 

It wasnt to long ago that there was college players getting called up to play for the MNT. 

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Is this the greatest roster discussion ever?

I think it might be the happiest discussion about a roster that I remember.  A few doubtful comments on the guys that wont even make the 18.  Wait till the gold cup and we are tearing each others throats out about Eusquito vs Piette.  Or Arfield over MAK.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I think it might be the happiest discussion about a roster that I remember.  A few doubtful comments on the guys that wont even make the 18.  Wait till the gold cup and we are tearing each others throats out about Eusquito vs Piette.  Or Arfield over MAK.  

Why do people talk about guys that won't make the 18? I never undestand why people say that because we can have 12 guys on the bench.

36 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Will Eustaquo be ready for the gold cup ??

i also can’t really envision anyone thinking MAK deserves a place over Arfueld tbh. Scott is another level. In time hopefully MAK can get there 

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Will Eustaquo be ready for the gold cup ??

i also can’t really envision anyone thinking MAK deserves a place over Arfueld tbh. Scott is another level. In time hopefully MAK can get there 

I believe he's projected to return by September, so LON more likely than GC.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Sorry guys but at RB, it's Godhino's to lose with all the recent starts

There's a reason why I did not like the ZBG loan from Lyon to Montreal. It isn't as much as an MLS thing. It's a Remi Garde and Montreal thing. The odds of him displacing Sagna are slim to none. Outside of the Canadian Championship and a few minutes here and there, he isn't seeing much time in Montreal, hence my frustration at the loan.

Anyways, at RB

1-Godhino

2-Zachary Brault-Guillard

The onus is on Zachary to displace Sanga.

Yeah, sure he is a veteran who's played at the highest level, but ZBG is a Lyon player. You must be better than this version of Sanga to be in the first team of Lyon.

He needs to justify his Lyon first team contract by demonstrating he can at least win minutes on loan in MLS, because they'll be much greater competition for places when he returns to France.

Montreal didn't bring him in to simply make up the numbers, and I don't think Lyon loaned him to Montreal with the belief he wasn't good enough to win minutes.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else okay with James not getting the call?

I am personally fine with it. Leave him in Denmark to focus on winning a spot with his club. It is a critical time for him.

Or another way to look at it is: No gametime? No call-up.

Edgar is the exception, as he's clearly there for his leadership. Now, you can argue with that strategy certainly, but I am personally okay with it for this competition. There is not much experience on our backline.

No offense to Edgar or what he has contributed to this program over the years but he needs to just be there for leadership.  I can't even imagine him starting and I'm shocked people are actually considering him in their starting lineups.  For leadership I am in support of his move.

Archived