Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Call up who ever is playing and performing at the top levels. 

I don't like the Edgar call-up, as i think he needs to get his club career settled - but i understand it. 

We have to usher in the new generation of players. Im disappointed that Kamal Miller isnt there. 

It wasnt to long ago that there was college players getting called up to play for the MNT. 

I agree.  I don't fully understand the Edgar call up besides leadership.  Even when he does settle in, are we really okay with calling players up at that level?

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Corazon said:

No offense to Edgar or what he has contributed to this program over the years but he needs to just be there for leadership.  I can't even imagine him starting and I'm shocked people are actually considering him in their starting lineups.  For leadership I am in support of his move.

Totally agree. His leadership is needed for training specifically, to be clear.

That said, I would trust him in an emergency situation. Otherwise, he'll provide stewardship from the bench.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Totally agree. His leadership is needed for training specifically, to be clear.

That said, I would trust him in an emergency situation. Otherwise, he'll provide stewardship from the bench.

Against French Guiana yes, come World Cup, I would not want him to see the field.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Maybe they edited out the African reference as I don't see it, although in any case the first line of the article is incorrect. Canada doesn't need a win to qualify for either the Gold Cup or the League of Nations Group A. A single point is all that is needed to guarantee both as there are only 6 teams sitting on 9 points, and everyone else below them has 6 or less. So unless Concacaf starts awarding 4 points for a win, none of those other teams are going to catch us if we get to 10.

They wrote we were playing against French Guinea. I just checked and they since have corrected one of their two references to French Guinea. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Guinea

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

We are acting like Miller should obviously be there but when was his first start? Nine days ago? I’m guessing the squad had already been decided

I'm acting as if guys like Millar just recently played his first 90 minutes of 1st team pro ball. But is going into his 5 or 6th camp? So what's the bar for success, or what warrants a call up? 

Kudos to Johnson, and Edgar for who they have been to the program.... But is the former really going to play? How much leadership is needed when there's guys like Atiba, Arfield, Milan, Jr in camp.

10 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'm acting as if guys like Millar just recently played his first 90 minutes of 1st team pro ball. But is going into his 5 or 6th camp? So what's the bar for success, or what warrants a call up? 

He said Miller (Kamal), not Millar (Liam). 

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Sorry guys but at RB, it's Godhino's to lose with all the recent starts

There's a reason why I did not like the ZBG loan from Lyon to Montreal. It isn't as much as an MLS thing. It's a Remi Garde and Montreal thing. The odds of him displacing Sagna are slim to none. Outside of the Canadian Championship and a few minutes here and there, he isn't seeing much time in Montreal, hence my frustration at the loan.

Anyways, at RB

1-Godhino

2-Zachary Brault-Guillard

I think most rate Godhino over ZBG.

For me personally, I do not have an issue with ZBG being called in.

51 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Kudos to Johnson, and Edgar for who they have been to the program.... But is the former really going to play? How much leadership is needed when there's guys like Atiba, Arfield, Milan, Jr in camp.

I think it had more to do with a leadership role in the "defensive unit". Defensive leadership in training/drills,tactics, organization, prep, film study, guidance, etc etc. Just because he can't play at their level does not mean his soccer IQ can't help out the younger core.

Not trying to overly compare(different situations) but in France, Rami at 33-34 was selected to this past summer World Cup. His selection was highly criticized as he was called over many other better defenders.  However, in interviews of France's very young back 4 and the coach, they praised how valuable he was to the team. 

Point I'm trying to make is we don't always see what happens behind the scenes, and these types of players are important in a 23 man squad.

Pre Game Events

Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons 

You MUST RSVP to this event, do it ASAP as space is limited. 

We are not exactly sure who will be in attendance, we expect some alumni and possibly current players should John Herdmen let them out of the cage. It is the night before a game, so we will have to wait and see. 

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/canada-mnt-v-french-guiana-pre-match-fan-gathering-tickets-58658867251?fbclid=IwAR1KdHOIcw0VPX8z8Pz2DIPQj_Dk2urq2WRtqOsHd4ajQzRCf1E3tjRh_2o

Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

Our pre game will start at 11am at Library Square Public House.  I will be set up from 11am

See you there.

10 hours ago, KW519 said:

Would rather the MLS players left out for players in peak form and fitness where possible. Osorio has been piss poor for TFC and doesn't look anywhere near top fitness. Clearly he wasn't selected based on his current form.

Surely someone like Straith or Hainault would be more valuable at this point than Edgar considering the amount of football he has played recently?

**Looking forward to the full completion of Westhills Stadium. Hopefully it means we don't have to watch our National team on turf anymore

Osorio was selected because he is just better than most and has actually played on a club team that has actually won a few things with Osorio being an integral part of the winning, and was the top goal scorer in a tournament against teams from a league  that one could argue is maybe a top 10 league in the world the Mexican league . His current form of what 3 games played  so far , please !

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

He said Miller (Kamal), not Millar (Liam). 

Lol I know he did... But he also was questioning why people were calling for a Miller call up. While I simply made reference to Millar just recently attaining 90 professional minutes (when actually hes only played 52).

26 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Osorio was selected because he is just better than most and has actually played on a club team that has actually won a few things with Osorio being an integral part of the winning, and was the top goal scorer in a tournament against teams from a league  that one could argue is maybe a top 10 league in the world the Mexican league . His current form of what 3 games played  so far , please !

Yes, but having said that, I would rather see MAK start over Osorio.  But to be fair, my guess is that MAK will come on for Hutch at the 60th minute, which makes perfect sense. We've got a number of young guys whom I am excited to watch over the next few years, and MAK is near the top of that list for me. 

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Ya, his current form on 3 poor games coming off of a off-season surgery compared to guys deep into their league campaign in peak fitness. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is well aware of the season he had last year, but you throwing last years accomplishments at me just proves you also don't think he was selected on current form. It's pretty clear to see he wasn't, that's why I said it. It doesn't take a genius to know why he's in the team....

6 hours ago, admin said:

Is this the greatest roster discussion ever?

It's nice to finally be discussing players left out who legitimately could have been included on the roster. We're still trying to hand out roster spots after a handful of professional matches, but it's a defender so I accept it in this case. The CanPL will only add to the speculative and after the fact roster nitpicking fun. Depth is emerging, slowly but surely. Good times ahead.

For what it's worth, we're viewing this as an important match -- I like the Johnson selection for form and leadership. Edgar too, for leadership in training and to show some  of the young players how they should act in the lead up to the match.

Edgar shouldn't be called at this time.  Herdman threw him a bone March 2018 and then another in November and now yet another after one match in the English 5th division?  Not a surprise that our Geordie manager would favour Edgar but you need to draw a line somewhere. 

Even if you want to play the angle that Edgar is there to be a veteran presence it doesn't work.  Guys like Straith and Hainault are just as capable at playing that role and they're playing at higher levels.  

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Lol I know he did... But he also was questioning why people were calling for a Miller call up. While I simply made reference to Millar just recently attaining 90 professional minutes (when actually hes only played 52).

Because before he transferred to kilmarnock he was playing for Liverpool u-23s while Miller was playing in the ncaa

11 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Because before he transferred to kilmarnock he was playing for Liverpool u-23s while Miller was playing in the ncaa

Kamal Miller has 180 MLS minutes. A level that is considered better or on par to the 52 SPL minutes Liam has gotten. 

Playing at Liverpool U23s is more of a name thing. If you're not playing first team ball to me its irrelevant because its more often now that players rarely graduate.

So everything is all relative. But what's the bar to make the squad. 

On another note, today on my local TSN radio station they kept calling the Mar.24th game a friendly. I don't understand how a sports (reporter) station just guesses things. I tried calling the station but never got answered. Pitiful just pitiful.

42 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Kamal Miller has 180 MLS minutes. A level that is considered better or on par to the 52 SPL minutes Liam has gotten. 

Playing at Liverpool U23s is more of a name thing. If you're not playing first team ball to me its irrelevant because its more often now that players rarely graduate.

So everything is all relative. But what's the bar to make the squad. 

The leagues are definitely comparable but I don’t think the teams are. Kilmarnock is one of the best teams in spfl while Orlando was one of the worst last year. So IMHO walking in to kilmarnock squad is a lot harder than Orlando’s. Also discrediting u23 is stupid considering it’s still a good level of play.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Edgar shouldn't be called at this time.  Herdman threw him a bone March 2018 and then another in November and now yet another after one match in the English 5th division?  Not a surprise that our Geordie manager would favour Edgar but you need to draw a line somewhere. 

Even if you want to play the angle that Edgar is there to be a veteran presence it doesn't work.  Guys like Straith and Hainault are just as capable at playing that role and they're playing at higher levels.  

Mostly agree, but I think continuity is important to Herdman here. Had it been Straith or Hainault in the vet role from the start, than they’d probably in this current selection, not Edgar.

It’s also worth mentioning that we are not just talking about experience, we are talking about leadership, and Edgar is known for leadership. The other two are not.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Mostly agree, but I think continuity is important to Herdman here. Had it been Straith or Hainault in the vet role from the start, than they’d probably in this current selection, not Edgar.

It’s also worth mentioning that we are not just talking about experience, we are talking about leadership, and Edgar is known for leadership. The other two are not.

I suspect Edgar was called over Straith or Hainault because neither has been called for the national team for a couple of years and never under Herdman. I think that is understandable in the situation but the problem I have with it is it is again yet another negative thing coming from us not playing very many games since Herdman has taken over (which may or may not be something he has much influence over but he does not seem overly concerned by it).

As to them not being known for leadership, both are captains of their teams in Germany. In fact, I think it probably takes some exceptional leadership skills to be captain of a team in a foreign country not using your mother tongue and to boot in a country like Germany known for discipline and demanding play. Hainault's team is also one of Germany's biggest clubs even if they have fallen on tough times being in the 3rd division. 

Archived