The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I do wonder though if the Madrid transfer really is dead, if he can even stay in Bayern at this point. Wonder if the damage is done and he’ll leave to go elsewhere in either case. 

Yup time to buy a CPL club in Edm. and be their star player.😁

I don't think Madrid will change their opinion of him if he plays or not. And as someone posted, they will see it as small club mentality. It also, oddly, allows for Madrid to offer less for him, since he's not a starter with Bayern and obviously BM don't value him. It'd be dumb all around. 

Only consideration as I see it is if they really think they'd play better without him. As the Madrid attack is far more dangerous down the other side, with maybe just a Lucas Vázquez or Carvajal appearing down where he'd be, it is not like there is any threat or risk, not like with Saka at Arsenal. 

Bayern has to key on Vinicius on Madrid's attacking left, especially, match the Madrid midfield, probably without Modric, and watch the set pieces. That's it really. 

Thought everyone here considers his agent a genius and the player smarter than the club. 

I was berated here a few months back for suggesting otherwise. Sad to think he's screwing up a legacy with a giant club to speculate on a possible legacy with another.

Maybe he will end up with the only clubs greeting him when shows his face will be Whitecaps and his CPL adventure in Edmonton.

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thought everyone here considers his agent a genius and the player smarter than the club. 

I was berated here a few months back for suggesting otherwise. Sad to think he's screwing up a legacy with a giant club to speculate on a possible legacy with another.

Maybe he will end up with the only clubs greeting him when shows his face will be Whitecaps and his CPL adventure in Edmonton.

Not saying he's handled it the best, but also I doubt it's really screwing up his legacy and plenty of clubs will still want him. Honestly, more players should actually not sign extensions - it pays off for them in the long run, while giving themselves even more freedom of movement.

He's not getting benched because his agent is fucking around, he's either getting benched because Bayern think they're better without him (which per the president's statement of how Tuchel views Davies this week lines up), and/or because he was banned from last game for card accumulation. Mazraoui and the whole left side look like they've done a whole lot of nothing over the first half, 2/8 on duels between Sane and Mazraoui, so it bodes well for seeing Davies at some point. Though they might just bring on Guerrero if it's really a personal thing with AD.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Guerrero on at half but I think he's in as a DM. Trying to see who Bayern has warming up on the side, but unfortunately Bayern can't get it out of their zone to pan the camera over there.

Watching TNT Broadcast, Glenn Hoddle says he expects Bayern to bring on Davies at some point for more attacking. 

Lucas Vazquez took a yellow after Davies turned him along the sideline. Vazquez horse-collared him as he knew that Davies was off to the races with tons of space to run on to.

Unfortunately that was the extent of Davies' contribution given the brief nature of his cameo.

Tuchel sucks.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Lucas Vazquez took a yellow after Davies turned him along the sideline. Vazquez horse-collared him as he knew that Davies was off to the races with tons of space to run on to.

Unfortunately that was the extent of Davies' contribution given the brief nature of his cameo.

Tuchel sucks.

The rumours of Davies having his mind on Madrid are just to distract the fact that tuchel has his mind on his next employer, ISIS.

I could see it being a combo of Davies not playing his best footy lately, BM preparing for the future by getting used to his potential replacements, and Bayern’s openness to potentially cooling off the interest in Davies by redefining him as just sub quality on current form.  And in the background of all this may be the sort of institutional pride that would be willing to gamble a bit to humble any player who challenges the club and thinks he can dictate terms to a German giant.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I could see it being a combo of Davies not playing his best footy lately, BM preparing for the future by getting used to his potential replacements, and Bayern’s openness to potentially cooling off the interest in Davies by redefining him as just sub quality on current form.  And in the background of all this may be the sort of institutional pride that would be willing to gamble a bit to humble any player who challenges the club and thinks he can dictate terms to a German giant.  

I don't think Davies is dictating terms to Bayern. It's offer and acceptance as in any contract. Bayern want to pay X and Davies "wants" Y...although I get the feeling that Davies wants out of Bayern and the $s are just smoke & mirrors. 

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Not saying he's handled it the best, but also I doubt it's really screwing up his legacy and plenty of clubs will still want him. Honestly, more players should actually not sign extensions - it pays off for them in the long run, while giving themselves even more freedom of movement.

Yes, it is screwing up his legacy. Because if he can't return to Munich and still be greeted by the workers and staff and if the press doesn't want to interview him, he's lost something that is invaluable. 

When you play as a starter for one of those 10-12 great clubs in Europe, and win the Champions, that means for the rest of your life you are a legend, and whatever you do, they'll still love you. As long as it is not perceived that you are backstabbing. If you don't understand what that means, fine, but he could be a Bayern Munich legend or not. When they commemorate the his Champions and invite the team back to celebrate, say on the 25th anniversary, when he's 45, will he be there or not?

I know what this means at Barça, in fact every fan does. And at all the clubs with multiple Champions Leagues. There are players who are always welcome with open arms, whatever career they had. Even players like Laudrup or Schuster who ended up at Real Madrid, because they left in ways that we understood were partially our fault, and them going to the arch enemy was not considered a betrayal. 

Whether it is true or not that Davies is consciously leaving Bayern with bad blood and burning bridges, it does not matter, the perception is fundamental. Then he'll go to Madrid, and they'll fully expect him to play the same game with them in a few years. 

I personally think he is not very intelligent, is badly advised, his agent is bush league and amateur, and that he is screwing up something he'll never get back that is far more important than his next contract or his next piece of silverware.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist