Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tuscan

Saskatoon CanPL

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Courtesy of the legendary Luis Rancagua:

...As he was exiting the pitch, stage right, Vandale took time to issue a red card to an ongoing complaint of his -- the condition of creaky old Foothills Athletic Park.

"It's the biggest obstacle we faced,'' he reiterated. "We go to a one-off in Saskatoon and draw 6,000 fans, then we come home to Foothills and play in front of 1,500,'' he sighed.

"Calgary is a city of a million people with a lot more money than Saskatoon. So why (are) there 6,000 there and only 1,500 here? ...

Nice one Luis !

Yes, the Gordie Howe Bowl (I believe that's where it was?) was jammed.  A beautiful afternoon of football.

I remember the Winnipeg Fury played an exhibition match in Regina around 1992, and the Fury staff were telling me it was absolute bedlam.  All the merch was sold out in 5 minutes.

In the right venue, I believe both cities are potential sites for CPL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good to hear they will be bringing in professional teams as well. An amateur 4th division Calgary Foothills teams that's been stripped of its better players from their championship roster likely is not going to be a good draw or barometer of support for a possible CPL club.

 

Pointy ball lines on the newer turf at SMF Stadium (Gordie Howe Bowl) are a negative that would have to be addressed with new turf for a CPL club at the location  :

1003smfkn03-jpg.jpg?quality=60&strip=all

Edited by CDNFootballer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

An amateur 4th division Calgary Foothills teams that's been stripped of its better players from their championship roster likely is not going to be a good draw or barometer of support for a possible CPL club.

Agreed, although the general public wont know that. They see from the promo it's the team that won USL II last season. That's as good a spin as they can do to dress it up. The hardcore know but they would be there regardless. 

I dont know If SMF would be a long term plan. Building at exhibition was expected. They wont take the lines of the field at SMF unfortunately. It's the minor football stadium. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://the11.ca/belan-sets-cautious-path-towards-canpl/

... “We were part of the initial discussions with other teams across the league about being part of the inaugural season. But, when we looked at it around this time last year and recognizing the complexity of putting together the whole Canadian Premier League, it is a very challenging and complex project. But we felt that we were not adequately prepared to be part of the inaugural season. We were not as well endowed from a stadium infrastructure standpoint or organization and we needed more time to prepare.  ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone why Joe Belan and company shifted their focus to Saskatoon when they had to decide here or Regina? 

In Regina they have: The Roughriders (CFL), Pats (WHL)

In Saskatoon they have: The Blades (WHL), Rush (NLL) and now Rattlers (CEBL) 

maybe it would be a good idea to balance the sporting landscape in Saskatchewan 3 & 3. Also think that the friendly they had in 2017 between NY Cosmos and Valencia - 15,000+ @ Mosaic Stadium which was terrific 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Does anyone why Joe Belan and company shifted their focus to Saskatoon when they had to decide here or Regina? 

In Regina they have: The Roughriders (CFL), Pats (WHL)

In Saskatoon they have: The Blades (WHL), Rush (NLL) and now Rattlers (CEBL) 

maybe it would be a good idea to balance the sporting landscape in Saskatchewan 3 & 3. Also think that the friendly they had in 2017 between NY Cosmos and Valencia - 15,000+ @ Mosaic Stadium which was terrific 

Bigger population is Saskatoon as well.  And maybe not directly competing with the almighty roughriders has something to do with it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Does anyone why Joe Belan and company shifted their focus to Saskatoon when they had to decide here or Regina? 

In Regina they have: The Roughriders (CFL), Pats (WHL)

In Saskatoon they have: The Blades (WHL), Rush (NLL) and now Rattlers (CEBL) 

maybe it would be a good idea to balance the sporting landscape in Saskatchewan 3 & 3. Also think that the friendly they had in 2017 between NY Cosmos and Valencia - 15,000+ @ Mosaic Stadium which was terrific 

Joe never shifted his focus exactly. He was always investigating both cities, but was leaning toward Saskatoon right from the beginning. There were some opportunities that might have tipped the balance in Regina’s favour, but there are significant advantages that Saskatoon has over Regina that make it make more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Joe never shifted his focus exactly. He was always investigating both cities, but was leaning toward Saskatoon right from the beginning. There were some opportunities that might have tipped the balance in Regina’s favour, but there are significant advantages that Saskatoon has over Regina that make it make more sense. 

Hey Rob, You coming tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Hey Rob, You coming tomorrow?

No I’m afraid not. I was hoping to arrange to get there in May sometime but the big gap in the schedule for the last two weeks of May might not allow it. Doh!

Are you in with RRR?

Edited by rob.notenboom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://northerntribune.ca/saskatchewan-canadian-premier-league-location/

... Here’s what Belan said when we asked if Regina was still on the cards as an alternate location:

Joe Belan: “I don’t think it is at the moment, because we don’t think that it’s got as attractive stadium offers. We would like to involve Regina – ... If there’s anything that we can do to help bring games to Regina at certain locations, then we’re going to look to do that.” ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...