Saskatoon CanPL

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They quite clearly don't. Just as you quite clearly are not if it only takes you 2 minutes to respond to a post like that. No point pursuing this conversation any further. This thread should be for the ongoing possible emergence of team #8 in Saskatchewan in time for the 2020 season.

I know at least half a dozen posters who do ignore you and another handful that have stopped posting here because of your negativity. The only reason I don’t ignore you is so that I can laugh at your constant churn of stupid posts. 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I know at least half a dozen posters who do ignore you and another handful that have stopped posting here because of your negativity. The only reason I don’t ignore you is so that I can laugh at your constant churn of stupid posts. 

I don't ignore anyone but I especially do not ignore BBtB/OtP because it allows me to remind him what a douchebag he is. Btw I'd really like to know who all these people are that are apparently pissed that the CPL isn't trying to compete directly with the MLS in a financial sense. As far as I can tell most people on here support the direction the league is taking...not to say there isn't room for improvement in certain areas but isn't that true of all sports leagues? I love how he twists things to justify his warped way of thinking and posting on here. Oh well...what are you going to do?

...and on and on. Meanwhile the obvious content matter for this thread would be something like who the opponents are going to be for the second Saskatchewan Selects game? Vancouver Whitecaps U-23 seems like the obvious one if the sanctioning issue that stopped the games against the Cavalry and FCE has been resolved.

17 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and on and on. Meanwhile the obvious content matter for this thread would be something like who the opponents are going to be for the second Saskatchewan Selects game? Vancouver Whitecaps U-23 seems like the obvious one if the sanctioning issue that stopped the games against the Cavalry and FCE has been resolved.

Guess we will find out in a couple of hours :)

Edited by toontownman

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe its because you have made most of the forum ignore you and no one realizes there is news here because you are on ignore. 

That is me.  I had no idea anything of value was being posted until I peeked (after my curiousity was piqued by your post).  The signal to noise ratio is just too unfavourable to bother with.  Maybe a third account that offers updates but no editorial content...?

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The lack of apparent enthusiasm over Saskatoon probably has more to do with many of the most vocal posters on here still craving a big budget large market direct rival to MLS rather than something more modest in scale that is sustainable and likely to actually work over the long haul in smaller markets of over 200k. 

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make - what else is new

Maybe there is a lack of "enthusiasm" (whatever that is supposed tor mean in this context) because we don't live in Saskatchewan and many of us are now paying attention to our teams and the actual league that is playing.

I haven't posted anything about Montreal or Quebec City teams for a long time because there is nothing to add to what is already being said. Does that mean I lack "enthusiasm" for a team in those cities? Not really. 

I'm totally in favour of trying a club in Saskatoon (and Regina eventually). The summer series seems to be going well and hopefully it will work out. Those things have all been said by me and others previously. Why does that need to be repeated? What are we supposed to be doing to demonstrate "enthusiasm" and frankly WTF does it matter if we are enthusiastic on this forum?

That's a great progression from Foothills. Winners all round. Whitecaps staff get to come take a look at the sask academies and maybe a homecoming for a sask Whitecaps  player or two to be there in attendance,if schedules work? The game will also tie in to open and kick off a weekend of soccer activities http://sasksoccer.com/page.php?page_id=117125

I also plan on bringing a ladder and cornering Chituru Odunze to make sure he knows the script that he is coming back to Team Canada once his citizenship is sorted :)

This was the squad they took to South Korea, which would be a hell of a squad to watch. 

GOALKEEPERS: Sean Melvin*, Chituru Odunze
FORWARDS: Theo Bair*, Thomas Raimbault+

However - It should be noted Whitecaps first team play the night before in the Voyageurs Cup so a good chance at least Bair and Colyn might not make the trip, maybe Habibullah. Fingers crossed I am wrong about that though. 
Edited by toontownman
more tedious pontification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 12:01 PM, ted said:

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make - what else is new

Maybe there is a lack of "enthusiasm" (whatever that is supposed tor mean in this context) because we don't live in Saskatchewan and many of us are now paying attention to our teams and the actual league that is playing.

I haven't posted anything about Montreal or Quebec City teams for a long time because there is nothing to add to what is already being said. Does that mean I lack "enthusiasm" for a team in those cities? Not really. 

I'm totally in favour of trying a club in Saskatoon (and Regina eventually). The summer series seems to be going well and hopefully it will work out. Those things have all been said by me and others previously. Why does that need to be repeated? What are we supposed to be doing to demonstrate "enthusiasm" and frankly WTF does it matter if we are enthusiastic on this forum?

Everyone is in favour of a Sask club I imagine.

Like you and others have pointed out, I am also wondering who these upset phantom posters are that take issue with the Can PL not directly competing with MLS, whatever a "direct rival" constitutes. Can somebody quote a poster that has said such a thing?

The most that has ever been said is how I see this league becoming open market in the future and how cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary for example can have clubs supported in the 20,000-30,000 range competing next to clubs in smaller cities that have support in the 10,000- 12,000 range. 

Edited by Macksam

11 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Everyone is in favour of a Sask club I imagine.

Like you and others have pointed out, I am also wondering who these upset phantom posters are that take issue with the Can PL not directly competing with MLS, whatever a "direct rival" constitutes. Can somebody quote a poster that has said such a thing?

The most that has ever been said is how I see this league becoming open market in the future and how clubs from cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary for example can have clubs supported in the 20,000-30,000 range competing next to clubs in smaller cities that have support in the 10,000- 12,000 range. 

It would be easier for you to find quotes of non-phantom posters who seem almost gleeful when the low wage budgets/CPL salary cap comes up.  Like they alone know all the ins and outs of the balance sheet of the CPL and are the only ones that want the teams to turn profits and be successful.  And continually flog ideas of MLS partnership and canadian MLS expansion.  

I'm sure in the future the CPL is going to have growing pains when the haves (big attendance/market/profit) teams start to outgrow the have nots.  But it wont be much different than most european leagues or even a lot of sports leagues in north america.  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It would be easier for you to find quotes of non-phantom posters who seem almost gleeful when the low wage budgets/CPL salary cap comes up.  Like they alone know all the ins and outs of the balance sheet of the CPL and are the only ones that want the teams to turn profits and be successful.  And continually flog ideas of MLS partnership and canadian MLS expansion.  

I'm sure in the future the CPL is going to have growing pains when the haves (big attendance/market/profit) teams start to outgrow the have nots.  But it wont be much different than most european leagues or even a lot of sports leagues in north america.  

QFT

This all could simply be related to the Whitecaps U-23 game on the 25th, but the SkSSS people already seem to be talking about CPL entry as more of a when than an if at times when promoting this game:

what would be exciting news from a media day perspective would be having somebody from the league there doing that as well. We'll see what happens.