Saskatoon CanPL

22 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Do we have any idea who the 2nd and 3rd games will be against?

I think Vaughn and AS Blainville would be good choices. 

Joe was hoping to have announced them last night but the details are not quite sorted. In about 6 weeks or so it sounds like. 

It was a fun evening and a great foundation to build upon for the next games on a cold evening and against a few other events this weekend. Supporters section was on good form and can hopefully recruit and spread for the next games. Thanks to the Bridge City Firm and Pile of Bones for coming up. 

Couple of SK standouts for me.

Chico Farahani looked good and well composed. Nice half time interview where he was asked about them  if he had anything to say to the crowd.. 

Niko Baikas came on the second half and scored a tidy goal and earned himself motm. 

My MOTM was Ajani Fountaine. A member of the Sask Whitecaps Academy but was arguably the best player on the pitch. Lightning fast, great feet and skill. Intelligent on the ball and didnt stop working the whole game on the wing and tracking back. Very impressed for 18. 

Fitzroy Christie played a good experienced head at the back and grew with the team in the second half. He was lucky to be on the pitch though after an early nasty crunching tackle that earned him a yellow. Might well have been a straight red if it wasn't a friendly. 

The Sask team had a rough first half which was probably to be expected. Both feeling out the opponents and themselves. Also a big game for these guys careers with a big crowd. You could see the hesitation to play balls first time and not quite knowing each others positions but also playing a good hungry side in the foothills. They had a much better second half though and were unlucky not to tie up the game. Lots of positives for the coaches and players to take forward. 

An exciting summer awaits. 

^^^the Chelsea chant in response to that would go down like a lead balloon in modern PC times in Canada, but is one of the legendary one liners in terracing chant terms

Looks like the turnout exceeded expectations:

https://northerntribune.ca/sk-summer-soccer-series-attendance/

... Joe Belan: “For the first event, we were initially looking to have it at a different venue and start more modestly, targeting it at an audience of twelve hundred to fifteen hundred. Now, we’ve upgraded the facility. It’s a lot more professional. It’s got a lot more amenities and infrastructure. Now our base case target is to get to twenty two, twenty four hundred.” ...

Joe Belan is a former teammate of Nick Bontis at UWO in varsity level soccer the CSA vice-president, so hopefully where there is a will there is still a way on getting them into CSA membership in time, if they decide to go for a 2020 launch.  

Ha, yes to the Chelsea chant. Although this is also genius.

The key is (as that article also states) whether we can grow or sustain those crowd numbers in the next games. 

It will (fingers crossed) be much warmer for the second but certainly following games which will help. Lots depends on the marketability of the opponents for each game but it seems this was certainly ground level for that. A good test for assembling the team of coaches and local players, game day staff etc. If the opponents get stronger I would expect to see some players outside of SK brought in to supplement the squad. That was mentioned previously. I think the goal is to set up the squad for these games close to the CPL rosters. Going all Sask for this one makes total sense to see what we have. 

image.png

Edited by toontownman

On 5/3/2019 at 5:17 PM, rob.notenboom said:

No I’m afraid not. I was hoping to arrange to get there in May sometime but the big gap in the schedule for the last two weeks of May might not allow it. Doh!

Are you in with RRR?

No, I got 5 seats in 104. a few sections over. RRR did a great job, people in our section were commenting on how loud they were.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

No, I got 5 seats in 104. a few sections over. RRR did a great job, people in our section were commenting on how loud they were.

That’s great. I got a run down from several of the RRR folks and they were very happy with everything but their tifo which didn’t quite work out. 

But they sounded and looked great on the broadcast and several times got more than just their section going. From very humble beginnings, they have done really well. 

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

It will (fingers crossed) be much warmer for the second but certainly following games which will help. Lots depends on the marketability of the opponents for each game but it seems this was certainly ground level for that....

Whitecaps U-23 would be the obvious one but there appears to be some sort of sanctioning issue blocking that from happening where the Alberta CanPL teams were concerned recently.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 4 weeks later...

The thread that surprisingly few people on here seem to care about despite it being related to what appears to be the CanPL expansion prospect that is furthest along to actually happening:

https://northerntribune.ca/sk-summer-soccer-series-game-announcement/

Canadian Premier League fans take note: the summertime ‘litmus test’ for a potential Saskatchewan CPL club will be announcing its second exhibition game this Thursday, June 6 at the Park Town Hotel.

The first game took place on May 4, where a chilly evening didn’t stop some 3,000+ football fans from watching a locally curated Saskatoon Selects side take on USL2 opposition in the Calgary Foothills. While the home side fell to a 1-2 loss, both the atmosphere and the attendance were good signs that Saskatoon was hungry for soccer...

37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ozzie wants more enthusiasm for this thread.  Come on..RA RA RA....  Maybe its because you have made most of the forum ignore you and no one realizes there is news here because you are on ignore.  Just a thought..  

And he’s driven off another quarter of posters with the constant pessimism.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ozzie wants more enthusiasm for this thread.  Come on..RA RA RA....  Maybe its because you have made most of the forum ignore you and no one realizes there is news here because you are on ignore.  Just a thought..  

Yes, I definitely seemed to be very effectively ignored on the attendance thread by all and sundry yesterday. The lack of apparent enthusiasm over Saskatoon probably has more to do with many of the most vocal posters on here still craving a big budget large market direct rival to MLS rather than something more modest in scale that is sustainable and likely to actually work over the long haul in smaller markets of over 200k. It's patently absurd to suggest that my posts contain constant pessimism when I am doing things like pointing to Halifax as being startlingly successful so far and very exciting for the future of Canadian soccer precisely because it suggests that Joe Belan might also be able to make it work in a city like Saskatoon.