Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think that is the intention. Why would another club/ownership group care about the naming of a future club in their city that would essentially be a direct rival? I could see that in a single entity league like MLS but not the CPL.

Not that I disagree with you but it seems like everything this league has done has been done collaboratively and with the stated goal of developing a soccer industry in this country to better the MNT. So it is possible that branding has been created with an eye to the future.

It really does appear to be an intentional style of naming coming from the league. Personally I'd rather have city names in the club names, and I don't think having multiple teams from the same city is an argument against having the city name in the club name. Manchester United, Manchester City, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, 1860 Munich. There are countless examples.

And if it is with an eye to a future where a city like Halifax has 2 or more teams, just imagine how high the barrier to entry will be for a fan trying to learn about the teams. It's already at a point where I could tell someone not familiar with the CPL that the team names are FC Edmonton, Cavalry, Valour, Forge, York 9, and HFX Wanderers. People by nature are going to care more about where the teams are based, and all they'll get is where Edmonton is, and maybe York 9 and maaaybe HFX Wanderers. Imagine when there are 10, 15, 20, 30 teams across the country. New fans will need a cheat sheet to be able to remember where Valour, Forge, Brave, Fortress, Turbine, and Prospector all play.

I think Ottawa will have the most advantage in season one, being established and all. But if you look at that Foothills roster, one could imagine 70% of that team remaining and adding improvements, Cavalry shouldn't be too far behind them. There's a lot of pro experience in that roster (don't know exactly about the level, although they were strong in the PDL regular season). 

Camargo, Ingham, Serban, Ledgerwood, Farmer, Carducci, Haynes to name some players I'd expect to see next season with Cavalry Fc. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

I think Ottawa will have the most advantage in season one, being established and all. But if you look at that Foothills roster, one could imagine 70% of that team remaining and adding improvements, Cavalry shouldn't be too far behind them. There's a lot of pro experience in that roster (don't know exactly about the level, although they were strong in the PDL regular season). 

Camargo, Ingham, Serban, Ledgerwood, Farmer, Carducci, Haynes to name some players I'd expect to see next season with Cavalry Fc. 

I didn’t know Calgary had assembled so many of those players. How are they getting on, not results but are they playing well together?

23 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I think it’s likely we see Danto in there as well. That is if he doesn’t go to Winnipeg.  Wouldn’t be surprised if some other players get a shot in the league as well like musse and pasquotti.

Although according to league's proposed plan of putting players in different pots and wanting to ensure local players, I am sure they would love to see Danto in Winnipeg.

He's definitely a good CPL prospect: apparently once had an MLS trial with KC and also had a USL contract with Phoenix but couldn't get passport issues sorted to move to US (I believe born in Sudan which complicates things where US is concerned)

https://globalnews.ca/news/3462972/winnipeg-soccer-players-professional-dream-on-hold-while-awaiting-work-visa/

On 7/13/2018 at 10:57 AM, Kent said:

It really does appear to be an intentional style of naming coming from the league. Personally I'd rather have city names in the club names, and I don't think having multiple teams from the same city is an argument against having the city name in the club name. Manchester United, Manchester City, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, 1860 Munich. There are countless examples.

And if it is with an eye to a future where a city like Halifax has 2 or more teams, just imagine how high the barrier to entry will be for a fan trying to learn about the teams. It's already at a point where I could tell someone not familiar with the CPL that the team names are FC Edmonton, Cavalry, Valour, Forge, York 9, and HFX Wanderers. People by nature are going to care more about where the teams are based, and all they'll get is where Edmonton is, and maybe York 9 and maaaybe HFX Wanderers. Imagine when there are 10, 15, 20, 30 teams across the country. New fans will need a cheat sheet to be able to remember where Valour, Forge, Brave, Fortress, Turbine, and Prospector all play.

When I got on board post WC 82, one of things that was attractive was learning about where all these teams played. It was a geography and history lesson in one - both of them being my favourite subjects.

Plus, now, they can look up easily where Valour FC plays in 30 secs if they truly are curious about the CPL. 

It's like the NCAA basketball tournament, there are a bunch of schools where it isn't obvious where they're located but it hasn't held back interest in the tourney. In fact, the curiosity actually generates more interest especially when they pull an upset.

15 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Although according to league's proposed plan of putting players in different pots and wanting to ensure local players, I am sure they would love to see Danto in Winnipeg.

This is one of the things I'm curious about. If Cavalry wants him and signs him, surely the league will stay out of it, no? I mean sure if Valour wants to sign him as well, he has a choice. But I hope the league won't interfere and the local players draft is only for "new" players to be signed. 

17 hours ago, shamrock said:

Foothills in the semi's of the PDL on Sunday. I guess the level isn't too bad at all. Hope they can go all the way. 

Watched that team live when they were playing TSS. They were a definite step above. I think their record proves it as well. If the level of the worst CPL team was equal to Foothills in PDL this year, I feel people will pay to watch that.

4 hours ago, masster said:

Watched that team live when they were playing TSS. They were a definite step above. I think their record proves it as well. If the level of the worst CPL team was equal to Foothills in PDL this year, I feel people will pay to watch that.

I would guess Cavalry FC will not be the worse team. 

On 7/24/2018 at 3:07 AM, shamrock said:

Foothills in the semi's of the PDL on Sunday. I guess the level isn't too bad at all. Hope they can go all the way. 

When you look down their roster, there's a number of players that could be in USL but seem to prefer to set themselves up to play in CPL in Alberta (Carducci, Farmer, Ledgerwood, Camargo, Zebie, Serban). If they don't win overall it might be a bit of an upset

Good strategy for the Cavalry to have a core group of Canadians with reasonable chemistry before the season starts. Those six plus five higher priced imports would form a decent starting 11 that's compliant with the announced roster regulations 

I think the double stripes are nice. You can try to tinker with a single, thicker white stripe, but you may find that it also gives the feel of a hockey jersey. Overall, this is still an attractive kit.

I would also like to see an alternate kit, incorporating both red and green. Since this kit is mostly green, perhaps the alternate could be mostly red with green accents.

22 minutes ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

I think the double stripes are nice. You can try to tinker with a single, thicker white stripe, but you may find that it also gives the feel of a hockey jersey. Overall, this is still an attractive kit.

I would also like to see an alternate kit, incorporating both red and green. Since this kit is mostly green, perhaps the alternate could be mostly red with green accents.

I fear a single stripe may not be “hockey” enough for the effect I was looking for. But I can try it see if it looks better visually.

I kind of had to pick between green and red for the kit. They seem to favour the green, but a white kit with red features could be the secondary kit. If they go with a full green and full red kit though that would be pretty cool and ballsy on their end.

Both red and green would make it look like a Christmas sweater, almost à la Minnesota Wild.

Thanks for the feedback though! You’re awesome.

Edited by Xavier