Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

On 5/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, Rheo said:

While I love the military angle that Cavalry FC has taken, this arrow logo needs to be ditched immediately. The Canadian Army doesn't use upward-pointing chevrons to denote NCM ranks; it uses downward-pointing ones. And throwing in the curl at the bottom just makes this look like a bastardized version of a Staff Sergeant from the US Army or USMC. The closest thing I can think of in Canada would be a CF pipe/trumpet/drum major, or an RCMP Staff Sergeant. But even then, those badges just feature four upward-pointing chevrons with no curl at the bottom. 

If done right, incorporating the military angle can be an easy win for building support and relationships. But if done like this and representing the wrong military, it's just going to piss people off. 

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

While I love the military angle that Cavalry FC has taken, this arrow logo needs to be ditched immediately. The Canadian Army doesn't use upward-pointing chevrons to denote NCM ranks; it uses downward-pointing ones. And throwing in the curl at the bottom just makes this look like a bastardized version of a Staff Sergeant from the US Army or USMC. The closest thing I can think of in Canada would be a CF pipe/trumpet/drum major, or an RCMP Staff Sergeant. But even then, those badges just feature four upward-pointing chevrons with no curl at the bottom. 

If done right, incorporating the military angle can be an easy win for building support and relationships. But if done like this and representing the wrong military, it's just going to piss people off. 

I agree with the bolded text but at the same time I find it strange they decided to go the military angle in the first place. Perhaps I am ignorant but Calgary does not strike me as a city with a big military influence. All the military stuff feels a little forced.

Edited by Obinna

On 5/27/2018 at 5:43 AM, m-g-williams said:

While I love the military angle that Cavalry FC has taken, this arrow logo needs to be ditched immediately. The Canadian Army doesn't use upward-pointing chevrons to denote NCM ranks; it uses downward-pointing ones. 

OMG can we please stop describing this as an an "arrow logo"?!!? They are chevrons and in Canada we use inverted chevrons.

Other than that which offends the heraldry geek in me, I agree that it is awful. As soon as I saw it I thought US Sergeant. 

Or just don’t describe the chevron as part of the military angle since it offends? It’s supposed to represent mountains so let it be and let the name Cavalry be the military angle. Simple no? They tried way too hard to make the chevron an all in one symbol and it’s backfired predictably.

20 hours ago, Keegan said:

Or just don’t describe the chevron as part of the military angle since it offends? It’s supposed to represent mountains so let it be and let the name Cavalry be the military angle. Simple no? They tried way too hard to make the chevron an all in one symbol and it’s backfired predictably.

I love the chevron and military history connection. It can also be a mountain which is cool.

Given the nice clean simplicity of the shield, I see no reason to create the "US Sergeant" logo.

45 minutes ago, ted said:

I love the chevron and military history connection. It can also be a mountain which is cool.

Given the nice clean simplicity of the shield, I see no reason to create the "US Sergeant" logo.

So you like the chevron but see no reason for it? 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

So you like the chevron but see no reason for it? 

The chevron (a single chevron) is the main element of the club crest.

Multiple chevrons were stacked to make a cartoon version of the insignia seen on the sleeve of Sgt. Rock. 

Does that clear up the confusion?

We interrupt this whining about the logo to bring you Cavalry FC merchandise available online. I can say for a fact that the hoodie is damn comfortable, the scarf is hanging on my wall, and the backpack I thought was a shopping bag until my wife pointed it out to me.

Edited by shermanator

6 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Ordered  the t-shirt.  I will order the rest of the teams tees as they are available.?

I might do the same. Anyhow, I just got so excited that official merchandise finally became available for one of the clubs that I had to bite. That red shirt and snap back black ball cap with red trim are lit. Got both items. I can't be certain but if the club does what I think they might do, which is have three or four monochromatic kits (red, green, black and white) that they alternate evenly as their primary uniforms like some NBA teams did this year, I think that would be an awesome direction to take. 

PS, this is the first time I have ever bought merchandise from a Canadian sports team's official place of business (online or brick). 

Edited by Macksam

From The Black Hole podcast, episode 99 with Tommy Wheeldon Jr

-Not a shock but transitioning out of Foothills

-Goes over story with PB and Calgary start.  Basically once established Foothills wanted to go pro to continue to the pathway for players.

-They had talked with USL before knowing about CPL, including possibility of being Whitecaps affiliate, was blocked because couldn’t move the affiliate out of the USL attachment area.  Canada soccer told them about CPL and went from there

-Really put over the Southern family, commitment to improving Canadians in show jumping and now doing the same in soccer

-Stadium talk.  Talking to a couple of companies but most likely will be similar to Phoenix Rising’s.    One side of seats will be taken out when needed for jumping events.  Doing lots of talk of set up.  Current location could scale up to 10k, if demand in future rises above that could move to other locations on site, mentioning the 500 acres.

-Talked player development given him going from development to the pro side.  Lots of this talk and it’s really good.  Doesn’t know if they will be doing solidarity/training payments.  FIFA rules are changing and he wasn’t up to speed on it but pointed out Foothills has sent 13 players to Whitecaps but as pay to play they aren’t eligible for training payments.  He sees pro academies being paid for by sponsorships and the clubs, investing in the grass roots.  Lots of Alberta talk, need of high performance league like Quebec and Ontario.  Need to mirror the hockey development structure for soccer.

-Expect lots of news over the summer.  Put over the CPL and CSB staff and what they’ve done and have planned.

AFTN ep 274

http://aftn.ca/episode-274-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Tommy Wheeldon Jr interview (starts around 31 minutes)

-Hosts discussed relations between PDL teams and academies and CPL pre-interview

-Talked about leaving Foothills and their future. 

-Talked about advantage Cavalry might have with them developing the team this year with an eye on the CPL he said, “There’s going to be some element of parity with the league, the way that they will do some sort of draft system.  It’s yet to come out but I know the discussions are there.”  He knows he can’t take all of them but the others will go elsewhere and he’s still contributing to the game

-Lots of development talk.  Looking forward to developing players and sending them overseas.

-Talked of attachment areas with Vancouver having such a big presence in Alberta

-Asked if there has been talk of loan agreements with MLS and he said no but assumed they would follow FIFA rules.  Said the CSA wants an open market system with the CPL

-Talked about travel cost differences.  Said it would depend on if the league does a deal with a flight company but “that’s not being discussed or released”

-Asked what’s on top of his to do list once Foothills is done, learning the constraints of the league in regards to signing players, build the technical staff, scouting staff and infrastructure.  Plus all the GM type duties (stadium design, locker rooms, VIP boxes) and connecting with the community/fans