Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

That's so cool. One of the rugby teams I play against started getting club cans through a local brewery, and now it's on my "cool cans and bottles shelf". To have your new local pro club on cans like that is fantastic. 

On 5/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, Keegan said:

Or just don’t describe the chevron as part of the military angle since it offends? It’s supposed to represent mountains so let it be and let the name Cavalry be the military angle. Simple no? They tried way too hard to make the chevron an all in one symbol and it’s backfired predictably.

It doesn't look anything like mountains, since mountains aren't generally stacked one on top of another.  With that curly thing underneath, it looks exactly like an American military rank, and is offensive.

Wait, are we saying “the Cavalry FC”? That sounds wrong to me, but it’s coming from their Twitter. Have these teams not thought about whether they should or should not use “the” before their names? “The Cavalry” sounds fine to my ears, but “The Cavalry FC” sounds wrong.

Discuss.

That sounds awful if that is what they are doing.

If they are saying "the" Cavalry, after that Boer war garbage in the presentation video and the mess with the military chevrons, all I can say is this: this club has some people on it I'd rather not see in CPL. Battles and army motifs are only metaphors, guys, get beyond them, don't take them literally, stop thinking you are really going to war. 

The Cavalry--forced, embarrassing, very wannabe. Not really appropriate for the CPL

I bought the shirt and am going to wear it in spite of their ownership group.

"The Cavalry" has a certain ring to it.  It's a pretty common usage in pop culture/every day speech: 'Bring in the cavalry!' whether referencing law enforcement or reinforcements of any kind.  

IMO the military aspect was a way to connect the team name to city and country historically, not celebrate the Boer War, which your average person knows nothing about anyway.

I agree @Unnamed Trialist I hope they don't overdo the military aspect but I don't think we're there yet.

If a plastic Barcelona supporter doesn't approve of the name or the people behind the Cavalry, then I'm doubling down on my support for it. Might as well donate the shirt, the club doesn't need people like you "supporting" it.

On further thought, it makes sense why you're a Whitecaps supporter. The front office spouts bullshit, you eat it up, and regurgitate that crap on this board. If they were to give you an enema you would fit inside a matchbox. 

Edited by shermanator

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

If a plastic Barcelona supporter doesn't approve of the name or the people behind the Cavalry, then I'm doubling down on my support for it. Might as well donate the shirt, the club doesn't need people like you "supporting" it.

On further thought, it makes sense why you're a Whitecaps supporter. The front office spouts bullshit, you eat it up, and regurgitate that crap on this board. If they were to give you an enema you would fit inside a matchbox. 

Shermanator, since that was basically premised on misinformation that anyone reading me regularly would be able to see (I am one of the most critical of the Whitecaps FO on this board, along with maybe 3-4 others, I have regularly called for the FO to resign and give way to a new ownership group), I wonder what you really want to say.

Just say it, and stop hiding. I seriously dislike professional cowardice.

So just say what you want to say, instead of being such a frigging back-stabber about it. 

Maybe the real problem  and what is getting the hardcore soccer supporters in Calgary, deep down, is that Spruce Meadows is very prissy and elitist and supporting the club there is like going to a private country club. Are those your values, Shermanator, the one's people like me cannot rightly support? Equestrian polo shirts?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

How can somebody who lives in Barcelona, be a plastic Barcelona fan? A plastic fan is someone who has no real connection to the city the club plays in. Given Calgary has almost twice as many people as Winnipeg in its wider metro area and launched sooner, I suspect they are a bit disappointed by the relative sizes of the membership numbers so far and it is reasonable to question whether another marketing approach might have worked better. Not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination but still a lot of work to do to get paying break even level crowds.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How can somebody who lives in Barcelona, be a plastic Barcelona fan? A plastic fan is someone who has no real connection to the city the club plays in. Given Calgary has almost twice as many people as Winnipeg in its wider metro area and launched sooner, I suspect they are a bit disappointed by the relative sizes of the membership numbers so far and it is reasonable to question whether another marketing approach might have worked better. Not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination but still a lot of work to do to get paying break even level crowds.

No BBTB, you could be. There are plenty of fans in the city who have never even been to Camp Nou. I mean, sure, it is expensive, but for 25 euros for an early round Cup game you could go, and many do not, not even for the last summer friendly the Gamper tournament. So sure, you can live in a city and be a pseudo fan of a team, it is not uncommon.

I was just in Paris, watched Spain-Morocco there, and then France game on Tuesday, and many of the fans watching in bars were very casual. Faces painted, decked out, but chatting and walking around and not even watching the match at all, very poser. From what I saw, the younger set were much more serious, the ones under 30, which I thought was good to see. Paris is one of the least soccer-loving cities for its size in the world.

Looking at fans at the WC, it is clear a lot of those people have the money to go, but really are not serious soccer supporters.

I am used to being called a Euro-snob or whatever, I know the difference in quality is high, sure. But most years I actually see matches from all 8 tiers of organized, federated football in Spain. And in Canada I watch MLS, PDL, Whitecaps youth, and even go to PCSL in Vancouver. Use "plastic" on someone else and knee-jerk in that direction, por favor.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:03 AM, Obinna said:

Time will tell. Hope you are right.

BBTB is just trying to pull your strings.....

Houston 1836 was chosen in part by a fan poll, but certain elements in the Hispanic community in Houston got their intestines all twisted up. They pretty much force the owners to change the name to a rather generic one.

I would think these teams are not generally going by their city names so they can leave the door open for other teams in their respective cities to develop over time. (For example a north Calgary team perhaps?) This makes even more sense when you take into account the stated goal to eventually have a promotion/relegation system in place.

I like the name, it suits the location just fine.

32 minutes ago, Razcal said:

I would think these teams are not generally going by their city names so they can leave the door open for other teams in their respective cities to develop over time. (For example a north Calgary team perhaps?) This makes even more sense when you take into account the stated goal to eventually have a promotion/relegation system in place.

I like the name, it suits the location just fine.

I don't think that is the intention. Why would another club/ownership group care about the naming of a future club in their city that would essentially be a direct rival? I could see that in a single entity league like MLS but not the CPL.

Edited by Obinna