Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

On 8/7/2018 at 7:39 PM, Jason said:

This is very true.  No WFC2 was huge for them.  

There are so many players on this club that should end up in the CPL.  It was a championship team and Ledgerwood - their most notable player - wasn't playing.  Some of the former WFC2 players weren't even able to make regularly into the starting 11.  

Excuse my ignorance, why wasn’t Ledgerwood playing? Injured or just not good enough?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little snippet on stadium renovations at Spruce Meadows:

Attention will now turn to renovations on existing Spruce Meadows facilities in preparation for Cavalry FC’s 2019 season. Allison said many modifications have already been made over the summer, with the bigger stadium installations scheduled to take place over the fall and winter.

“We’re excited about Cavalry FC getting up and running and we’ve done a lot of our pitch renovations to the meadows on the green stadium,” said Allison. “We’re going to be having a Cavalry FC and Edmonton FC prospect game at the end of September just to test the pitch and give our members a sense of what they can look forward to when we launch in 2019.”

The soccer season will run from April until October, which will overlap with some international show jumping. Allison said the stadium will continue to be dedicated to equestrian events, with away games scheduled when the two sports overlap.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/masters-tournament-comes-to-a-close-at-spruce-meadows

So I see that ticket prices for the match in Calgary were released over the weekend.  Reduced member prices are $25 for adults and $15 for kids 12 and under.  No word about prices for non-members.  Is it just me, or does this seem like a lot for a prospects game?   Makes me wonder a bit about what prices will be for games that matter.

The member prices were $20 for adults and $10 for youth when I bought mine. Not sure if that was an early bird members only special or what, but my impression is that the $25 / $15 pricing is for non members. I think that is definitely high, but the club is trying to find the right price point where they can pack the stadium, but also not give away the product. I guess we will see how full the stadium is on Sept 29. Personally, I'm not expecting more than 1000 people, but that is based on my cynical view of the Calgary market and their perception towards soccer in general.

When I received the members email from the club, they also had a survey asking questions like what would I pay for season tickets, would I pay for parking, what primary colour of jersey would I want, what type of drinks / concessions, etc. So, if you're a member, and that's high, the survey is probably a good way to give that feedback.

Also, here's an interview with Tommy on Sportsnet 960 where he talks about the open trials and Al Classico. Mentions player signings will start happening near the end of the open trials. https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-steinberg/tommy-wheeldon-jr-calvary-fc-cpl-tour-across-canada-got-game-open-tryouts/

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

The member prices were $20 for adults and $10 for youth when I bought mine. Not sure if that was an early bird members only special or what, but my impression is that the $25 / $15 pricing is for non members. I think that is definitely high, but the club is trying to find the right price point where they can pack the stadium, but also not give away the product. I guess we will see how full the stadium is on Sept 29. Personally, I'm not expecting more than 1000 people, but that is based on my cynical view of the Calgary market and their perception towards soccer in general.

When I received the members email from the club, they also had a survey asking questions like what would I pay for season tickets, would I pay for parking, what primary colour of jersey would I want, what type of drinks / concessions, etc. So, if you're a member, and that's high, the survey is probably a good way to give that feedback.

Also, here's an interview with Tommy on Sportsnet 960 where he talks about the open trials and Al Classico. Mentions player signings will start happening near the end of the open trials. https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-steinberg/tommy-wheeldon-jr-calvary-fc-cpl-tour-across-canada-got-game-open-tryouts/

Ok, not sure what happened but I'm a member and never got an email.

Went and checked out Spruce Meadows today. While it may not appear that they've made much progress, they've done the following:

- Taken out the fountains

- Redone the pitch to accommodate better irrigation and drainage

- Built the retaining wall in on the section that will house the supporters (shown in the first tweet). View from the supporters end is in the second tweet.

Also, for what it's worth, they are not expecting a big crowd next Saturday as it's currently forecast to be 4 degrees and raining.

Edited by shermanator

On 9/22/2018 at 5:38 PM, ESG Shawn said:

Are the stands in the supporters end temporary (i.e. only for the Sept 28 match)? 

The ones in the photo are temporary. There will be 5 rows of safe standing, follow by more rows of general admission, in that section. 

But as an Eddie supporter, you can stand in the section on the other end! ?

It makes total sense to start with the pitch itself, it's the most important element of the stadium. I remember when Ajax opened their Arena (now finally called Johan Cruyf Arena) and they found out the design prevented grass from growing there properly, so they had to put in a new pitch 2 times a year (and they all sucked). And that was Ajax, once a major powerhouse in Europe. Good to see Cavalry starting with the basics.