Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

• 2 weeks later...

No goals or assists in today’s win but Colyn was the second highest rated player on the team (behind the MotM - who was a goal scoring defender). They are in 5th place but only 3 points off 1st place.  Seems like he is putting together a really solid season in a team that may be fighting for promotion.  

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

76 pro games now and he's only 21 years old. Not bad!

Easy to forget that he was a pretty hyped MLS prospect at one point.  He may not have been the sort of instant phenom they were hoping for but he is on track to build a really respectable career - and could easily end up becoming a CMNT player.  If he manages to force his way into the Dutch top flight, he would have to be in the mix for a spot.  Hell, we keep hoping for a really effective CAM and a guy like Colyn could end up being the answer.  

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Easy to forget that he was a pretty hyped MLS prospect at one point.

I didn't like that "passing the torch" publicity spin sub debut replacing Davies in his last game for the club.  Though he impressed in that very brief stint, I think it ratcheted up expectations far too much of what he could do at that age and level of physical maturity.  When nothing happened for him in the following season under the new coaching staff on a squad that ended up second worst in MLS that year,  it led to far too quick a write off of him by several observers.  

It's great to see things are trending upward now.  I am very happy to see him doing well and I really hope that he progresses into our NT squad.  Keep it rolling, Simon!

29 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I didn't like that "passing the torch" publicity spin sub debut replacing Davies in his last game for the club.  Though he impressed in that very brief stint, I think it ratcheted up expectations far too much of what he could do at that age and level of physical maturity.  When nothing happened for him in the following season under the new coaching staff on a squad that ended up second worst in MLS that year,  it led to far too quick a write off of him by several observers.  

It's great to see things are trending upward now.  I am very happy to see him doing well and I really hope that he progresses into our NT squad.  Keep it rolling, Simon!

Which reinforces the idea that VWFC does a poor job working with young Canadian players. Colyn did better after he left.

Edited by Stoppage Time
Add a line.

25 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Which reinforces the idea that VWFC does a poor job working with young Canadian players. Colyn did better after he left.

I don't consider myself a Whitecaps fan, but I struggle to see Colyn as an example of them blocking development. They gave him training, opportunities, and then let him find his own way

• 1 month later...

Currently has a goal in their 4-0 dismantling of 2nd-last-placed FC Den Bosch.  He must be having a pretty strong 2 way game as he is the highest rated player on his team despite his midfield counterpart having a goal and an assist.  That may get adjusted in the final rating reconciliation but it definitely seems like he is having another strong showing.  Definitely another guy I wish we had the resources to get into more regular camps - even if they are "B" events.