Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

Wonder how it looks behind the scenes since he rejected them last week and I guess the top division interest dried up. Can’t be too bad if they’ve taken him right back. I would expect for him to start just like he started with Jong PSV. Will be exciting to see how he does on a full senior team. 

also, since posting that first tweet from this guy, every single tweet of his has been posted on my for you tab on twitter.

Edited by InglewoodJack

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Looks like they were 2nd and 3rd 3-4 years ago, but have been midtable for the last couple   Would be interesting if they were going to push for promotion.   There must have been something that convinced him to take the leap since it is otherwise a lateral move from Jong PSV based on recent results.  

Either way, hopefully he can lock down a starting spot and start putting himself in contention for a callup    

Historically they have been a yo-yo team, but at least they are a well established side.  Big for the Eerste divisie but small for the Eredivisie.  If he gets good game time, it could be a good stepping stone.  

28 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Think he needs to have at least double digits goals and assists for this to be a successful season. He scored less goals/90 last year and averaged a goal contribution every 183.4 minutes vs 182 the season before.

He wasn't playing the same position across both of those seasons. Two years ago, he was predominantly a striker. Last season, he was used all over the front six, and there was even one match where he was listed as a RB.

Hopefully, moving from a development team to a full professional side will afford him the opportunity to sort out his best position. It's the only positive aspect of this lateral move.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Think he needs to have at least double digits goals and assists for this to be a successful season. He scored less goals/90 last year and averaged a goal contribution every 183.4 minutes vs 182 the season before.

These are lofty expectations and pretty much the numbers Brym put up, but Brym was 24 years old this time last year. Colyn is just 21 years old and nearly 4 years younger than Brym. Age aside though, I would say he does need those numbers to get CanMNT interest and challenge the likes of Brym in the pecking order. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

De Graafschap is a club I remember being in the top flight. Will Johnson went on an Eredivisie loan there while him, Rob Friend and Michael Bradley were all under contract at Heerenveen together. 

Charlie Trafford was also in their academy for a bit I think.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:25 PM, sebdeserio said:

I agree, Colyn has to produce triple what Brym did at 4 years younger in the same division, and just because.

8 hours ago, RojitoTO said:

He really should of had a goal at the 3:28 mark, but his teammate was way too selfish.

Yeah, ironically he made the exact pass for his assist that the other guy should have made to him for an easy tap in.  If I am the coach on the first blown opportunity I am tearing a strip off the guy who failed to make it an easy goal.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

3 goals in 3 games now for Colyn. Not a bad little run of form.

Not exactly. He didn't score in their loss to Jong AZ on Monday when they were shut out. Regardless, 3 in 4 is still a good run of form.

And playing for a squad fighting for promotion (7th place, 6 points off the top) should be good for his development as well.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Brym in 2022/23 - 29 eerste games and 11 goals at the age of 24.

Colyn in 2023/24 - 9 games and 3 goals - On course to have around 8-10 goals this year at the age of 21 and not a proper #9. 

At what point do we consider colyn for the national team? 

I don’t think he’s there yet, but I feel 6 more months of this and you have to call him. Double digit goals in the Dutch 2nd div is CANMNT material apparently.