Metro Vancouver CPL Club

I think the town centre area of Coquitlam would be a great option for a CPL club. It’s also growing rapidly but I like the positioning with it being within reach of Vancouver, and everything else on the sky train, and just over the Port Mann for anyone driving out from the Valley. Surrey could work as well, but I think Kelowna might actually come first when it comes to BC clubs on the horizon. 

3 hours ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

I think the town centre area of Coquitlam would be a great option for a CPL club. It’s also growing rapidly but I like the positioning with it being within reach of Vancouver, and everything else on the sky train, and just over the Port Mann for anyone driving out from the Valley. Surrey could work as well, but I think Kelowna might actually come first when it comes to BC clubs on the horizon. 

Coquitlam is going to become a major player in Greater Vancouver in the next 20 years, and is ripe for a soccer revolution.

It has a clear urban development model, is willingly shifting from suburb to small city, and has actually thought through land use and zoning and residential density. It also is well supported by transit.

And, in fact there is a stadium out there that gets a lot of community use, that Canadian teams have played soccer in (U20 Canada-Scotland leading up to the WC), and could be expanded, Percy Perry.

It also has one of the most comprehensive set of playing fields in the Lower Mainlaind, many being converted to field turf, there is a long term plan in place for field use. It is the home to many players as well, from Mobilio to Brittany Timko, and has good youth academies.

Coquitlam is an interesting idea, but I think that Surrey has the greatest possibility. It has a large population, a rapid transit line and will soon have two LRT lines, and is South of the Fraser River which will make it more attractive to those living in the Fraser Valley. It is also far enough removed from Downtown Vancouver that I doubt it will have too compete too much with the Whitecaps. In my dreams, it is also far enough west in the Lower Mainland that there would be room for another team in Abbotsford once soccer overtakes hockey as our number one sport.

56 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Coquitlam is an interesting idea, but I think that Surrey has the greatest possibility. It has a large population, a rapid transit line and will soon have two LRT lines, and is South of the Fraser River which will make it more attractive to those living in the Fraser Valley. It is also far enough removed from Downtown Vancouver that I doubt it will have too compete too much with the Whitecaps. In my dreams, it is also far enough west in the Lower Mainland that there would be room for another team in Abbotsford once soccer overtakes hockey as our number one sport.

I agree, Surrey, ideally north Surrey, would be ideal. Basically, south side of the Fraser is the right pole for a team who might take a few thousand fans from the Whitecaps, potentially, and capture soccer fans not going to the Caps. Surrey has half a millon residents.

I was just pointing out that there are some municipalities that are more dynamic, plan better, spend public funds on sports, have long-term plans. Where population growth is fast, so that they are going to move up quickly. Coquitlam is such a case. 

One of the key questions for transit in the Lower Mainland is how lines will link outlying suburbs, to eliminate the radial effect of only going into Vancouver. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, SpursFlu said:

I think you made a mistake. Vancouver & West Vancouver should now be "Billionaire Boys Club" and Burnaby & North Vancouver "Soon to be Billionaire Boys Club" Surrey & Langley could be "Where everyone else is forced to live, never to return to DT Vancouver unless they own a helicopter"

Sounds the the greater Toronto area 

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@ted are you aware? Is Pacific normally flying straight out of Victoria, or would they have to do a lot of changes in Vancouver? I'd imagine it is the city in CPL with the least routes available.

Asking as the question of ferry travel has come up.

I assume they are flying only. There are tons of flights between Victoria and Vancouver. Where they can connect to all the other major cities in Canada. Plus there are direct flights from Victoria to some bigger cities (just not as often).

I was once on a Toronto to Victoria flight that had national Rugby players on board.

The comment about the Ferry was more about travelling fans.

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@ted are you aware? Is Pacific normally flying straight out of Victoria, or would they have to do a lot of changes in Vancouver? I'd imagine it is the city in CPL with the least routes available.

Asking as the question of ferry travel has come up.

I assume they are doing a lot of changes in Vancouver. It isn't hard, the distance is so short you spend more time on the tarmac than in the air.