Metro Vancouver CPL Club

19 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'll temper my comment, as I don't live in Vancouver anymore (although I'm in constant contact with LOTS of friends and family there). However, I suspect that the last comment, like most of what that particular contributor posts, is a complete load of ****.

Vancouver has a lot of problems, but I think he's out to lunch. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah, I'm a Vancouverite but everything I know about the city I learnt listening to morning radio in the 'burbs.

Dude I lived dt for 4 years, kits for 4 years  spent my young adult life on Commercial drive. Play soccer in East Van and live in New West. Give it a rest with stereotypes. 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Dude I lived dt for 4 years, kits for 4 years  spent my young adult life on Commercial drive. Play soccer in East Van and live in New West. Give it a rest with stereotypes. 

Hey, sounds like there's something moving around under the front porch, what could it be?

Must be a stereotype:

"Yah it must be great to pay $3000 a month for a 500 square foot apartment in Yaletown. Watching bum fights from your window every night must be the cherry on top"

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey, sounds like there's something moving around under the front porch, what could it be?

Must be a stereotype:

"Yah it must be great to pay $3000 a month for a 500 square foot apartment in Yaletown. Watching bum fights from your window every night must be the cherry on top"

Save your energy. You're as likely to get a reasonable conversation from Robert.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Save your energy. You're as likely to get a reasonable conversation from Robert.

I don't block Robert, I do others, like this guy. Especially after he boasted his entire family had gone through Covid already in the winter and they were the new illuminati, the chosen special ones meant to lead the way in the post-apocalypse. If I were a public health nurse I would have given him Naloxone to give the rest of us a break.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, SpursFlu said:

Things change my friend dt Vancouver is soulless now. Dt Van use to be surrounded by suburbs so people could get in and out really easy. Now basically Vancouver to New West is urbanized and the suburbs are all pushed to the other side of the Fraser. DT Van is basically in Siberia and the area around is occupied by broke life long singles,  transient students and people here for work who will come and go. The geographically center of the Lower Mainland is actually Central City Surrey. A lot of businesses are leaving dt because they can't attract skilled workers with families. I know this first hand. Its not 2010 Vancouver anymore. If it weren't for the Whitecaps I would honestly never set foot West of Boundary rd and I lived in and around dt for 10 years

Wow, sounds like Vancouver went to shit after Krammerhead left/died!

On 10/1/2020 at 1:35 PM, SpursFlu said:

East Van....is it like how Gabor Mate describes, Portland Motel, dug addicts, central Americans pushing cocaine and heroin?

On 9/28/2020 at 10:55 PM, Watchmen said:

I remember when MLS was building stadiums in the suburbs.  Because families will come!  Then TFC, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver came along and it was "whoops.  turns out that downtown is where fans are."  And the teams that built in the suburbs to attract families are among the worst for attendance.  Maybe they can build the stadium next to the white elephant arena in Abbotsford that hemmoraged money before losing the hockey team.

I think the sububrb vs downtown argument isn't so cut and dry. Every community's situation is different and needs to be analyzed accordingly. The executives that made the decision for FC Dallas and Fresno looked at the demographic trends for that area and saw huge year over year increase of young families into the city. They think the long-term plan for that area will bear fruit. It's not unlike what SpursFlu is getting at.

Edited by Macksam

• 3 weeks later...

Canadian Premier League expansion - Bundesliga involved in Fraser Valley project?

there is also talk about expansion in British Columbia. One location that has been targeted by the league is Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley Regional District.

Putting a second team in BC, in general, and a team in close proximity to Vancouver, in particular, is a major priority for when the league expands next. That team could see major financing from the German Bundesliga.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/canadian-premier-league-expansion-bundesliga-involved-in-fraser-valley-project-/view/news/373100

Pacific FC may get B.C. rival in Canadian Premier League soccer

“It would be fantastic … the Lower Mainland is a clear goal for the league,” said Pacific FC president and co-owner Josh Simpson.

Simpson was responding to a story in Transfermarkt, the authoritative soccer website, which reported on the weekend that placing a team on the Lower Mainland, possibly the Fraser Valley, is a “major priority.”

“That team could see major financing from the German Bundesliga,” wrote Oak Bay-based Transfermarkt reporter Manuel Veth.

A Lower Mainland CPL team would give PFC some annual away games that are just a ferry ride away. It would also allow for a handy B.C. back-to-back Mainland-Island road-double for other visiting teams. PFC was one of seven charter members of the CPL — Canada’s pro soccer league mandated in order to co-host the 2026 FIFA World Cup with the U.S. and Mexico — during the inaugural 2019 season. PFC placed third in the recently-completed 2020 pandemic-abbreviated season played without fans amid a bubble hub in Charlottetown, P.E.I. The 2021 CPL season is of more immediate concern for PFC than potential future provincial rivals.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-may-get-b-c-rival-in-canadian-premier-league-soccer-1.24223403

• 1 year later...

The much rumoured Metro Vancouver Expansion Club has been announced for Canada's 1st Division Canadian Premier League :

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-expansion-in-vancouver

"Canadian Premier League (CPL) Commissioner David Clanachan formally announced they have awarded a CPL expansion club to SixFive Sports & Entertainment LP (SixFive) in Vancouver, British Columbia today. The ninth Canadian Premier League club plans to join the league for the 2023 season playing out of Vancouver.

“Expanding into a great sports city like Vancouver is exciting,” said David Clanachan, Canadian Premier League Commissioner. “We look forward to working with SixFive to continue to grow professional soccer in Canada and create a solid foundation that will be the pathway for players to develop and showcase their skills in front of passionate supporters.”

“We are excited to bring the Canadian Premier League to Vancouver,” says SixFive co-founder Dean Shillington. “We are currently speaking to several municipalities about a location and a potential new stadium for this club’s home pitch. Growing the league and investing in the Canadian game is our mission and we are thrilled to bring a new, fan-centric and energizing CPL team to Vancouver.”

IMG_5737.jpg

Queen's Park Stadium is 10 mins walk away from me. They were close to moving Whitecaps 2 there at one point. QP residents association were for it. Devon (B&W Army) told me the Northeast stand is the oldest in Canada. You'd need some renos similar to Portland to make it work. I bet $5-10m would get you there. Parking and transit a non-issue for the most part.

are they for sure going for a new stadium or also looking at existing ones...if they want a new one and cant get it up in time for 2023 do they spend the first year in a temporary stadium or do they push back to 2024...does the league try to get another team to the finish line for 2023 so they come in at the same time and have an even number of teams...what is the probability of lsse fulfilling their obligations to be able to get a team in sask...lots of questions after this announcement...looks like the league has put a large amount of pressure on itself announcing this as a done deal and an expected start of 2023 without a stadium deal in place

9 minutes ago, Big_M said:

are they for sure going for a new stadium or also looking at existing ones...if they want a new one and cant get it up in time for 2023 do they spend the first year in a temporary stadium or do they push back to 2024...does the league try to get another team to the finish line for 2023 so they come in at the same time and have an even number of teams...what is the probability of lsse fulfilling their obligations to be able to get a team in sask...lots of questions after this announcement...looks like the league has put a large amount of pressure on itself announcing this as a done deal and an expected start of 2023 without a stadium deal in place

I sort of think the league thinks that by announcing it they'll put pressure on a city to step up and build the stadium.  I'm not so sure as many cities are as eager to step forward and do it as the league wants.  We know Langley is, but after that...

6 hours ago, mtlsab said:

It may finally happen!

So what are your favourite locations for a stadium?

South side of the fraser river, Langley at the LEC (just drove by their recently and the development there is booming, huge residential and commercial project being built and  they have also added 2 highrises to the project, also right by the Trans Canada freeway) and Surrey. Think the club will try again for Surrey with the LEC as a fallback.

New Westminster failed previously for a USL team and don't see that changing, Swanguard in Burnaby is too close the the Caps.

23 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

South side of the fraser river, Langley at the LEC (just drove by their recently and the development there is booming, huge residential and commercial project being built and  they have also added 2 highrises to the project, also right by the Trans Canada freeway) and Surrey. Think the club will try again for Surrey with the LEC as a fallback.

New Westminster failed previously for a USL team and don't see that changing, Swanguard in Burnaby is too close the the Caps.

I'm much more negative on the LEC as a viable location, but agree that it's probably the emergency fallback.

The one thing I've been wondering about regarding Surrey is the new train line that's been sorted and is underway, and if there's now a location that SixFive thinks is more appealing (and workable) than they did before.

I grew up in Burnaby, and try to avoid travelling south of the Fraser when I'm back home, except for when I arrive and leave from Richmond. So, my knowledge of the FV mindset is limited. However, am I wrong in suspecting that it's more likely that a person from Langley will travel into Surrey for an event than a person from Surrey travelling out to Langley for a similar event?

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

However, am I wrong in suspecting that it's more likely that a person from Langley will travel into Surrey for an event than a person from Surrey travelling out to Langley for a similar event?

There's no reason to think this is true.

I like to think that Surrey could have a stadium at City Central area.  With Skytrain coming to Langley it would be fed from east and west, as well as the fact that there are nearly 550K people in Surrey alone.  

Surrey and Langley have pretty much become the same thing. The largest growing community in Surrey is Clayton Heights which is across the street from Langley's fastest growing community Willoughby. Willoughby growth is just kinda next level crazy. Same thing with growing suburbs of Cloverdale and South Surrey. One moment you're in Surrey the next you're in Langley. There's really no difference. in other words think Vancouver/Burnaby is basically Surrey/Langley. DT Surrey I which happen to be sitting in at the moment is just cranes everywhere.

I cannot see a stadium in downtown Surrey. The real estate is too valuable and the money for these developers is in a 15minute neighborhood. The only realistic and possible location in that area of Surrey is Bridgeview

Edited by SpursFlu