Metro Vancouver CPL Club

2 hours ago, ThiKu said:

Cloverdale would be a disaster. No one from Vancouver would attend - how many would drive from there? Few, at best.

People in Vancouver don't own cars so no one would expect them to drive anywhere. They never travel east of main street. They don't even know where Surrey is let alone Cloverdale 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 1/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, Tigers said:

Vancouver Set to Join MLR Ranks for 2019

Vancouver RFC announced - team up with CPL to build something? 

With the recent Pro Rugby league folding after just one year last January don't expect this one to last long either. Would stay away from teaming up with a Vancouver team thats likely to fold with the league.

This is cool but my take is this team would probably play at swangard or ubc. The rugby community is stronger around the coastal areas plus a lot of young Brits and Aussies around that area also. Rugby not so big in the Valley 

I think the big opportunity for CPL rugby connect would be Victoria. Rugby is huge in Victoria 

Edited by SpursFlu

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the big opportunity for CPL rugby connect would be Victoria. Rugby is huge in Victoria 

That was my first thought. Get together as partners in a new stadium or even under one ownership group and you can have a home game of some sort of football every weekend in the summer and I'd be willing to bet that sales and marketing crossovers would be successful.

• 4 months later...

So of the 4 Markets/Groups approved by CSA early in the month, by tomorrow 3 of the 4 will have revealed their clubs (Halifax, Calgary, York) with the Metro Vancouver group still to reveal theirs. With Winnipeg slated to be next after Halifax on June 6, that leaves Hamilton and this group to round out the first 6 with FC Edmonton (2-3 months away from announcement according to a Jay Ball comment yesterday) and Ottawa Fury (likely September) rounding out the founding 8 CPL clubs.

Seems like the extra time the final dotting of the "i"s and crossing of the "t"'s on the stadium arrangement in Surrey is taking is making it likely to be a mid to late June reveal.

"Port City" is definitely the one you would expect to be up next with Winnipeg (announcement timing already confirmed) and Hamilton (timing sequence on this one is speculation) after that, which is why the 10 days to move that hydro pole revelation this week along with could be announced in two weeks in the Times-Colonist last week makes it look like it's Victoria rather than metro Vancouver that was expected to be involved on that. Unless they suddenly wanted to do two announcements at once in a BC context despite only one group being accepted into CSA membership earlier this month? We'll find out very soon.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Maybe something, maybe not by putting it out there 

Anyone know who’s behind that account? It links to a Facebook page that looks like a fan run page. And there’s no indication of how to sign up for said emails.

On a related note, I contacted the city of Surrey about the stadium proposal and the replied that no decision has been made one way or another.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

31 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Anyone know who’s behind that account? It links to a Facebook page that looks like a fan run page. And there’s no indication of how to sign up for said emails.

On a related note, I contacted the city of Surrey about the stadium proposal and the replied that no decision has been made one or another.

I always assumed this was a supporter group. Just wondering how much contact they have with the prospective owners 

Gutted as Rob Friends group switches to Victoria from Metro Vancouver. Hopefully a CPL club in Metro Vancouver in 2020.

Victoria is in for CanPL: League exploring “several opportunities” on Lower Mainland

When I called the CanPL offices after the release went out, I was told that the “Port City” club that received its official sanction from Canada Soccer a month ago was, yes, the Victoria team. But, when Cavalry FC was launched just two weeks ago, Clanachan said that the Victoria bid still needed to be vetted. I know that Clanachan said that the CanPL was getting a lot more efficient in vetting its potential investors groups, but two weeks from “needing to be vetted” to “approved,” well, heck, can these guys please work on my next grant proposal?

So, we know Victoria IS Port City. But, then, will CanPL start without a Vancouver-area team in 2019?

The CanPL followed the Victoria release with this statement on the status of the league in the Greater Vancouver Area.

“We are in active discussions with more than a dozen communities across the country, this includes several opportunities in the Lower Mainland.  It is a key market – one that we firmly believe in.”

https://the11.ca/victoria-is-in-for-canpl-league-exploring-several-opportunities-on-lower-mainland/

On 5/31/2018 at 2:26 PM, Rheo said:

I always assumed this was a supporter group. Just wondering how much contact they have with the prospective owners 

Regarding the FV CPL group.  According to AFTN and a few others on twitter.  The group was real and focused only on the FV, not Victoria, but the supporters, investors and employees were under NDA to not disclose, hint or even mention the bid publicly to media by Rob Friend and the majority owner.  Some think by not being public and vocal likw the other CPL groups were doing, they did more harm than good for there chances.  I think one of FV CPL supporters mentioned that Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack weren’t interested in there proposal (eg getting the municipalities to pony up public money for stadium upgrades).   Thats pretty much the entire Fraser Valley that shot them down.  I honestly think that group burned too many bridges for a future CPL group.  Might as well go to Kelowna/Kamloops now.

Edited by nolbertos

21 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Regarding the FV CPL group.  According to AFTN and a few others on twitter.  The group was real and focused only on the FV, not Victoria, but the supporters, investors and employees were under NDA to not disclose, hint or even mention the bid publicly to media by Rob Friend and the majority owner.  Some think by not being public and vocal likw the other CPL groups were doing, they did more harm than good for there chances.  I think one of FV CPL supporters mentioned that Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack weren’t interested in there proposal (eg getting the municipalities to pony up public money for stadium upgrades).   Thats pretty much the entire Fraser Valley that shot them down.  I honestly think that group burned too many bridges for a future CPL group.  Might as well go to Kelowna/Kamloops now.

CPL needs the major media market that is Metro Vancouver, they likely will get a club in the future and its good to hear the league realizes this and there's interest there.

Kelowna/Kamloops are good CPL2 markets when that second league comes about but just aren't D1 CPL markets IMHO.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Kelowna/Kamloops are good CPL2 markets when that second league comes about but just aren't D1 CPL markets IMHO.

I think Okanagan could be a great spot for CanPL eventually. Three teams in BC plus the Whitecaps would build excitement and create a culture of traveling support.

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

If Victoria and Halifax are getting in at launch and both Regina and Saskatoon have been seriously considered, there's no obvious reason to believe that there is such a thing as a D1 or D2 market at this point. If you have more then 200,000 in the metro area you appear to merit consideration.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If Victoria and Halifax are getting in at launch and both Regina and Saskatoon have been seriously considered, there's no obvious reason to believe that there is such a thing as a D1 or D2 market at this point. If you have more then 200,000 in the metro area you appear to merit consideration.

I kinda agree with you here. If we include every metro area 200,000 and above with several teams in greater Toronto and Montreal, that leaves us with around 20 teams. That is a good number. From there, there will be smaller cities that can support div. 2 teams.

New article with info on a BC CPL club in Metro Vancouver :

The City of Surrey is also contemplating a new outdoor stadium for its bid to join the CPL, and three locations – Cloverdale Fairgrounds, Bridgeview, and Surrey City Centre – have been identified as potential sites for consideration.

Simon Fraser University revived its plans to build a $10-million, 1,800-seat capacity football stadium last year. It will be constructed on the hillside of Terry Fox Field.

And the University of British Columbia is planning a new Thunderbird Stadium, possibly on a different site than the existing facility. The new 5,000-seat stadium would have a smaller footprint so that new housing can be built.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/westhills-stadium-victoria-langdale-expansion

Surrey still seems the best bet as they have been talking about a new stadium being built for years and are far enough away from the Caps location to make a successful go of it.

UBC revamp of T Bird Stadium a no go as too close to Caps (as is Swangard) and SFU too small at 1800.

Edited by CDNFootballer

On 1/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, SpursFlu said:

People in Vancouver don't own cars so no one would expect them to drive anywhere. They never travel east of main street. They don't even know where Surrey is let alone Cloverdale 

I'm from Vancouver and own a car...

...ok, so it's a hybrid.  ...and you're right, I confess!  I never venture east of, wait Main Street?  I don't go east of Cambie!  ...except on a plane.  Isn't Cloverdale where people wear big funny hats?

Article on Surrey possibly getting a new arena.  When talking about possible municipal funding had this

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-new-hockey-stadium

• In the City of Surrey’s recently approved 2027 Parks, Recreation, and Culture Strategic Plan, which outlines $357 million in investments in parks, community, and recreational facilities, and new arts and culture destinations, there is no mention of a new indoor stadium.

Surrey’s largest indoor arena is currently the 1,200-seat capacity South Surrey Arena at South Surrey Athletic Park, where a new rugby field and covered soccer field are planned. The municipal government is simultaneously exploring suitable sites for a new outdoor stadium – likely with a capacity of under 5,000 seats – that could host soccer matches for the new Canadian Premier League.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest AFTN podcast with Rob Friend has further info on a CPL Metro Vancouver club coming about :

"We've worked a year and a half on the Fraser Valley and we're not just going to walk away and let it die"

"CPL wants a team in the lower mainland (Metro Vancouver)."

"Plenty of talks going on in the lower mainland".

- Langley and Surrey are main identified areas of interest and "far enough removed from Vancouver Whitecaps territory."

Rob, even with being involved with Victoria CPL,  is obviously still interested and involved in a Canadian Premier League club for Metro Vancouver. Hopefully Surrey/Langley will work out in the long run with a club ready for the 2020 CPL season.

http://aftn.ca/episode-278-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Edited by CDNFootballer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like Rob Friend, Dean Shilington still interested in starting a Surrey based CPL club for Metro Vancouver :

"He considered basing the team in a number of different B.C. communities and had discussions with representatives from cities such as Surrey.

The decision to go to Langford, however, was in part because the city was willing to renovate and expand its Westhills Stadium, by April, to accommodate more than 6,000 people. Ticket prices are likely to start in the $20 range.

If the anticipated fans flock to the venue for the games, Shillington said Langford has agreed to a second expansion to increase stadium seating to more than 10,000.

He may still invest in founding a team in Surrey, but that reality would depend in part on the success of the league and of his team in Langford."

https://biv.com/article/2018/08/canadian-premier-league-owners-ready-launch?amp&__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Like Rob Friend, Dean Shilington still interested in starting a Surrey based CPL club for Metro Vancouver :

Every time I heard them talking about this, it sounds like their heart and focus isn't really on the Victoria team.  Honestly, they need to stop talking about it.