Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

Metro Vancouver CPL Club

Recommended Posts

For CPL clubs flying in to play a Fraser Valley/Metro Vancouver club based at the LEC, the prairies and Alberta have flights into nearby Abbotsford airport where lodging would also be cheaper than flying into yvr. Not sure about flights further east into Abbotsford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ted said:

I assume they are doing a lot of changes in Vancouver. It isn't hard, the distance is so short you spend more time on the tarmac than in the air.

But still, the point is that Pacific probably has the worst travelling schedules of any team. There are relatively few direct flights out of Victoria, compared to all other CPL cities. They have to make changes in Vancouver, as you say. Apart from that, even the airport is relatively far from the city in Victoria.

Obviously if they are playing away in the Fraser Valley, they'd take a ferry. Even early game day if they could. It is not a stressful trip of course.

As for travelling to play against a team in Langley, quite true what has been said: Abbotsford is an option, but Van International is also relatively close: Langley Events Centre is almost equidistant from both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But still, the point is that Pacific probably has the worst travelling schedules of any team. There are relatively few direct flights out of Victoria, compared to all other CPL cities. They have to make changes in Vancouver, as you say. Apart from that, even the airport is relatively far from the city in Victoria.

Obviously if they are playing away in the Fraser Valley, they'd take a ferry. Even early game day if they could. It is not a stressful trip of course.

As for travelling to play against a team in Langley, quite true what has been said: Abbotsford is an option, but Van International is also relatively close: Langley Events Centre is almost equidistant from both.

Excuse me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Vancouver boy here. I have some friends in both Langley and Surrey, and I think there's a huge difference between having a team in north Surrey near Skytrain versus a team north of Langley. The difference would be palpable to having a team in downtown Sauga versus a team at the far north end of Vaughan, which is the proposed future location for Y9. You're going to get a far more urban and concentrated number of fans with the former, close to a downtown.

For me, the single biggest factor of Halifax's success is the stadium's proximity to downtown. The north Surrey area seems close enough to its commercial centre and to Skytrain to replicate some of that success, while this Langley location seems to have neither. I mean, I see that this thread was in agreement a year ago that north Surrey would easily be the best location for a Fraser Valley club, and I hope the investors continue to seek that location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Former Vancouver boy here. I have some friends in both Langley and Surrey, and I think there's a huge difference between having a team in north Surrey near Skytrain versus a team north of Langley. The difference would be palpable to having a team in downtown Sauga versus a team at the far north end of Vaughan, which is the proposed future location for Y9. You're going to get a far more urban and concentrated number of fans with the former, close to a downtown.

For me, the single biggest factor of Halifax's success is the stadium's proximity to downtown. The north Surrey area seems close enough to its commercial centre and to Skytrain to replicate some of that success, while this Langley location seems to have neither. I mean, I see that this thread was in agreement a year ago that north Surrey would easily be the best location for a Fraser Valley club, and I hope the investors continue to seek that location.

Theoretically. Except North Surrey is pretty much crap, unless you want your car broken into. Way more $$$ and families in South Surrey, Cloverdale and Langley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Theoretically. Except North Surrey is pretty much crap, unless you want your car broken into. Way more $$$ and families in South Surrey, Cloverdale and Langley. 

I was hearing that Newton is the roughest part of the city, and Whalley/City Centre is getting better and stuff? I dont live in Metro Van anymore, so I could very well be wrong, but just what I heard.

Anyways, I figure Skytrain access would help for CPL fans across Metro Van, and that being close to the Surrey city centre would give the team a more concentration of fans that can get to games close by. That seems to have worked for Halifax, and I think would work well for Sauga, and hopefully the Fraser Valley.

For me, just looking at CPL and MLS as a whole, it always seems to be a smarter play to put the stadium near transit and a city centre or a downtown, rather than putting it in a residential, family-oriented neighbourhood.

Edited by ironcub14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is DT Vancouver is located in the worse possible place. There is tons of growth everywhere and as small rural communities and Suburbs grow, getting in and out of dt Vancouver is just not possible for many. It's also become a bit cultural.. Vancouver has become very transient, very wealthy, very single, very young. That's all good but areas like Langley, Abbotsford, Maple Ridge.. Surrey Suburbs like Cloverdale, SSurrey and Clayton Heights are all growing like crazy. Its a diverse area but it tends to be people who are a least 1 or 2 gen Canadian. As a result they are tied to the community and sports are an important part of the culture. People in those areas less and less want or need to go in to Vancouver. More and more people out there work, live, play in the Fraser Valley. They really don't have much of a connection to Vancouver anymore. It's really just a totally different place

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Excuse me?

50 km to YVR and just under 30 to Abbotsford, YXX.

You think that is a huge, definitive distance difference do you? CPL teams will be flying to YXX to save driving time to the stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The reality is DT Vancouver is located in the worse possible place. There is tons of growth everywhere and as small rural communities and Suburbs grow, getting in and out of dt Vancouver is just not possible for many. It's also become a bit cultural.. Vancouver has become very transient, very wealthy, very single, very young. That's all good but areas like Langley, Abbotsford, Maple Ridge.. Surrey Suburbs like Cloverdale, SSurrey and Clayton Heights are all growing like crazy. Its a diverse area but it tends to be people who are a least 1 or 2 gen Canadian. As a result they are tied to the community and sports are an important part of the culture. People in those areas less and less want or need to go in to Vancouver. More and more people out there work, live, play in the Fraser Valley. They really don't have much of a connection to Vancouver anymore. It's really just a totally different place

I walk to BC Place when I am in Vancouver. Sure, that is an exception. But I see many other people doing the same, so go figure.

Downtown Vancouver is a great location. All transit lines hook up close. People want to go to downtown Vancouver, as they have shopping and eating options before and after games. There are other activities young people can do, as well as families. It is most convenient for supporter groups to meet up. 

When the Caps work, the stadium has a large contingent of late 20-early 30s singles going to games as a social event. The demography has shifted and Vancouverites, who go out for a lot of activities, go out to soccer as one more. 

All we are talking about, in any case, is going downtown once very 2 weeks during 8 months of the year (speaking of Caps). I think your post is pretty off base. It is much less incentive to have to go to a part of a city where the only reason you would ever be seen there is that there is that a soccer team happens to be playing that day.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.. sure. My post is based on now and the future, not the past. And not people who air bnb an apartment in yaletown. Once upon a time i walked to games also but things change. I had tickets for Whitecaps and Canucks and had a real hard time giving away to clients in the Valley. They would all note its just too hard to get in and out of DT Vancouver especially on weekdays. I think there are people who are Vancouver People and they just want to believe forever that the Vancouver lifestyle is the greatest and living anywhere else is like some culterless suburban death sentence. I use to be that way but truthfully Vancouver has lost its shine for a lot of people. It's really just turned in to an overpriced place filled with a lot of miserable people.  I'm in the Valley for work meeting with clients twice a week its a great place with lots of opportunities and those communities are planning things out to keep people there not be some bedroom to Vancouver. Exactly why the city of Langley is so willing to accommodate a professional soccer team. They know there is a market because people don't like going in to Vancouver anymore

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

50 km to YVR and just under 30 to Abbotsford, YXX.

You think that is a huge, definitive distance difference do you? CPL teams will be flying to YXX to save driving time to the stadium?

Huge difference in prices for GTA teams

Hamilton-Abbotsford.PNG.d69bced96aa3b9ae8b86dc97a25ce03c.PNG

 

YYZ-YVR

Toronto-Vanvouver.PNG.0c96513daaf71cd73c52745743ce49f5.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Huge difference in prices for GTA teams

Hamilton-Abbotsford.PNG.d69bced96aa3b9ae8b86dc97a25ce03c.PNG

 

YYZ-YVR

Toronto-Vanvouver.PNG.0c96513daaf71cd73c52745743ce49f5.PNG

First, that is nuts: you get a group deal and do not pay individual prices. Second, Abbotsford with Swoop is far from reliable, the cancellations and lateness is notorious. Third, you are not going to book less than a month in advance. Fourth, you can plan much better if you fly out of a main airport where you get the precise options for times you prefer. Fifth, you are not going Swoop for just a few flights a year at a discount, it only benefits a small % of the total travel. Finally, there does appear to be an airline sponsoring the league, which means most flights would go through them. 

Sorry, but I have no clue what point you are trying to make for a soccer team. And if it is for your own personal travel, have fun with Swoop. Enjoy your stay in Abbotsford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Ok.. sure. My post is based on now and the future, not the past. And not people who air bnb an apartment in yaletown. Once upon a time i walked to games also but things change. I had tickets for Whitecaps and Canucks and had a real hard time giving away to clients in the Valley. They would all note its just too hard to get in and out of DT Vancouver especially on weekdays. I think there are people who are Vancouver People and they just want to believe forever that the Vancouver lifestyle is the greatest and living anywhere else is like some culterless suburban death sentence. I use to be that way but truthfully Vancouver has lost its shine for a lot of people. It's really just turned in to an overpriced place filled with a lot of miserable people.  I'm in the Valley for work meeting with clients twice a week its a great place with lots of opportunities and those communities are planning things out to keep people there not be some bedroom to Vancouver. Exactly why the city of Langley is so willing to accommodate a professional soccer team. They know there is a market because people don't like going in to Vancouver anymore

People are flocking to Langley, it is a major regional hotspot, and Vancouver is a ghost town. Nice try, nice little rant. And also: totally false, the transit line are packed into Vancouver at all hours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, that is nuts: you get a group deal and do not pay individual prices.

I know that, just showing that this route for GTA teams are cheaper

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Second, Abbotsford with Swoop is far from reliable, the cancellations and lateness is notorious.

The others aren't that different, minus having more flights

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Third, you are not going to book less than a month in advance.

I know, just an example

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fourth, you can plan much better if you fly out of a main airport where you get the precise options for times you prefer.

If you land a day or 2 before the game, I don't think it's such an issue

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fifth, you are not going Swoop for just a few flights a year at a discount, it only benefits a small % of the total travel. Finally, there does appear to be an airline sponsoring the league, which means most flights would go through them. 

Swoop is owned by WestJet, that's the main reason I made the comparison in the first place

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, but I have no clue what point you are trying to make for a soccer team.

Shorter trip from Abbotsford airport to Langley than from Vancouver Airport. Accommodations and airfare are arguably cheaper as well. Of course, that's assuming that WestJet would extend their deal with the league to Swoop which is like Rouge for Air Canada

Just a fun exercise, nothing more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

50 km to YVR and just under 30 to Abbotsford, YXX.

You think that is a huge, definitive distance difference do you? CPL teams will be flying to YXX to save driving time to the stadium?

YVR to Langley is nearly twice the distance and probably three times the driving time as YXX to Langley. That is nowhere near equidistant. Whether other factors make flying into YVR a better option for theoretical CanPL away matches at LEC, I don't know, but throwing around words like equidistant is plain wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People are flocking to Langley, it is a major regional hotspot, and Vancouver is a ghost town. Nice try, nice little rant. And also: totally false, the transit line are packed into Vancouver at all hours.

 

Vancouver is far from a ghost town. It's packed and getting more packed. It's great for a certain lifestyle but there are becoming alternates to living in Vancouver in the province not just the Fraser Valley but the Okanagan, Van Isle. Lots of people are moving out of Vancouver, its just a fact. Everyone knows transportation is a huge obstacle in the region so as appossed to building as a bedroom community to Vancouver, areas are creating their own center of gravity. And actually by % Langleys population increase the most over the past 5 years in BC. Vancouver People just want to believe everyone is bridge and tunnel and arent fortunate enough to live in Vancouver and wish They could. Yah I love Vancouver but for some you couldn't pay them enough to live in Vancouver. It's just different strokes for different folks. People are proud of their communities and I would say as a whole the Fraser Valley is a distinct community to Vancouver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The reality is DT Vancouver is located in the worse possible place. There is tons of growth everywhere and as small rural communities and Suburbs grow, getting in and out of dt Vancouver is just not possible for many. It's also become a bit cultural.. Vancouver has become very transient, very wealthy, very single, very young. That's all good but areas like Langley, Abbotsford, Maple Ridge.. Surrey Suburbs like Cloverdale, SSurrey and Clayton Heights are all growing like crazy. Its a diverse area but it tends to be people who are a least 1 or 2 gen Canadian. As a result they are tied to the community and sports are an important part of the culture. People in those areas less and less want or need to go in to Vancouver. More and more people out there work, live, play in the Fraser Valley. They really don't have much of a connection to Vancouver anymore. It's really just a totally different place

1.  The Vancouver Giants attendance since moving to Langley has been horrible.

2.  The Vancouver Stealth left the LEC because of a league worst attendance to move downtown with success

3.  Abbotsford Heat....no words need to be spoken on this one

The team needs to be located in Vancouver proper or off the Skytrain line.  Trust me, if a team is put in any of the places you mentioned, no one from Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby will make the drive the Langley/Cloverdale/Clayton Heights.

I live in Vancouver and I'm certain I am not alone in my line of thinking.  If a team gets put in Langley, I MIGHT attend one game per year.  If the team goes to Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New West, North Surrey...sign me up for a full season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

YVR to Langley is nearly twice the distance and probably three times the driving time as YXX to Langley. That is nowhere near equidistant. Whether other factors make flying into YVR a better option for theoretical CanPL away matches at LEC, I don't know, but throwing around words like equidistant is plain wrong.

You are bickering about a 10km shift on a thread discussing thousands of kilometers of travel.

That is not "plain wrong", it is negligible in Canadian terms, but enough for you to want to harp about it. 

I have never heard of a soccer team choosing a different airport after flying thousands of kilometres to save 8 minutes of bus travel. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

1.  The Vancouver Giants attendance since moving to Langley has been horrible.

2.  The Vancouver Stealth left the LEC because of a league worst attendance to move downtown with success

3.  Abbotsford Heat....no words need to be spoken on this one

The team needs to be located in Vancouver proper or off the Skytrain line.  Trust me, if a team is put in any of the places you mentioned, no one from Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby will make the drive the Langley/Cloverdale/Clayton Heights.

I live in Vancouver and I'm certain I am not alone in my line of thinking.  If a team gets put in Langley, I MIGHT attend one game per year.  If the team goes to Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New West, North Surrey...sign me up for a full season

I don't get how people don't see that stadiums like Westhills and what you get in Calgary are not sustainable in the long term. You cannot ask your entire fan base, or say 95%, to drive. You have to allow it to be mixed up, between walking, biking even, public transit and private vehicles.

Pacific has had poor numbers, and if Cavalry were not winning, they would be halved. York9 is another question, since they are going to move. 

What we are talking about in the Fraser Valley is not comparable to some of the places proposed for south of the river in Montreal. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

1.  The Vancouver Giants attendance since moving to Langley has been horrible.

2.  The Vancouver Stealth left the LEC because of a league worst attendance to move downtown with success

3.  Abbotsford Heat....no words need to be spoken on this one

The team needs to be located in Vancouver proper or off the Skytrain line.  Trust me, if a team is put in any of the places you mentioned, no one from Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby will make the drive the Langley/Cloverdale/Clayton Heights.

I live in Vancouver and I'm certain I am not alone in my line of thinking.  If a team gets put in Langley, I MIGHT attend one game per year.  If the team goes to Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New West, North Surrey...sign me up for a full season

Your in Vancouver you have a team.. that's the point. Stay in Vancouver dont leave. Who are these Caps fans kidding anyways, they'll never go to the Valley for anything

But im trying to supply some vision for the future my friend. There is nearly a million people living in the Fraser Valley and growing. They dont like coming to Vancouver or its very difficult to do so, and getting worse. Thats a fact. Lions and Canucks have both public said its an issue for them  They want their own stuff out there. You have stuff, they want their own stuff. Fair enough right?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-giants-attendance-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Your in Vancouver you have a team.. that's the point. Stay in Vancouver dont leave. Who are these Caps fans kidding anyways, they'll never go to the Valley for anything

But im trying to supply some vision for the future my friend. There is nearly a million people living in the Fraser Valley and growing. They dont like coming to Vancouver or its very difficult to do so, and getting worse. Thats a fact. Lions and Canucks have both public said its an issue for them  They want their own stuff out there. You have stuff, they want their own stuff. Fair enough right?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-giants-attendance-2019

So you are comparing the downtown of Vancouver with the entire Fraser Valley, and arguing--let me get this right--that the downtown of Vancouver is losing interest, but any cowpatch in the entire Fraser Valley, "out there" as you call it, will be the sort of stuff ("their own stuff") anyone in the Fraser Valley can call their own?

You are not even taking into account that someone not in Surrey might not find Surrey at all something to call their own.

Anyways, ask anyone from Surrey or Chilliwack or Coquitlam where they are from when on holiday in Puerto Vallarta or England, and they say Vancouver nine times out of ten.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

50 km to YVR and just under 30 to Abbotsford, YXX.

You think that is a huge, definitive distance difference do you? CPL teams will be flying to YXX to save driving time to the stadium?

Close but 54km vs 29.2 km actually.

Driving time is 1hr 10 min from yvr and 36 min from Abbotsford Airport.

The cheaper flights, cheaper accomodation, and driving time combine for a positive of using Abbotsford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I walk to BC Place when I am in Vancouver. Sure, that is an exception. But I see many other people doing the same, so go figure.

Downtown Vancouver is a great location. All transit lines hook up close. People want to go to downtown Vancouver, as they have shopping and eating options before and after games. There are other activities young people can do, as well as families. It is most convenient for supporter groups to meet up. 

When the Caps work, the stadium has a large contingent of late 20-early 30s singles going to games as a social event. The demography has shifted and Vancouverites, who go out for a lot of activities, go out to soccer as one more. 

All we are talking about, in any case, is going downtown once very 2 weeks during 8 months of the year (speaking of Caps). I think your post is pretty off base. It is much less incentive to have to go to a part of a city where the only reason you would ever be seen there is that there is that a soccer team happens to be playing that day.

As someone who lives in the valley/Metro Van suburbs spursflu post is spot on. I avoid going into Vancouver City as much as possible. Luckily there's all that's needed to work, live, play in the Valley/suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...