Ottawa CPL Club

3 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Can't wait for CanPL to start and was quite frustrated when the Fury opted out but I think this was a shitty decision for soccer in Ottawa and in Canada.  Might be looking at one less team and a bunch less spots for Canadian players than we could have had in 2019.

If CanPL thrives the Fury would have joined in time.  Seeing a lot of angry comments on Twitter from Fury fans and I'm wondering what the longterm damage to SOCCER in Ottawa might be.  For those who think you can just throw a CanPL team in there and expect all those fans to switch their loyalties at the drop of a hat, I don't think that's how loyalties work.  

If I had been a Fury supporter all these years, supporting Canadian players before there was a CanPL, I'd be pissed too.

After all the talk of wanting clubs instead of franchises to get away from MLS-style centralized control and excessive rules, we now have a club that made a decision and is being overruled by a central governing body.

They should be mad, but at the Fury’s owners for making a shit decision. And while I get what your saying about the MLS centralized franchise BS, this isn’t the same thing. It’s a sanctioning body, just the same as all clubs around the world are subject to in their various regions. Why should the Fury get special treatment now that there’s no more exceptional circumstance (the lack of a Canadian League) necessitating an exception?

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

Why should the Fury get special treatment now that there’s no more exceptional circumstance (the lack of a Canadian League) necessitating an exception?

Because the CSA already decided to do just that?

1 hour ago, RS said:

Easily? OSEG controls the best stadium in Ottawa, which will not be easy to replace.

Regardless, this is far from over.

EDIT: You should know by now that there is no such thing as 'easily' when it comes to pro soccer in this country.

The stadium is owned by the city Fyi.

14 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

For those who think you can just throw a CanPL team in there and expect all those fans to switch their loyalties at the drop of a hat, I don't think that's how loyalties work.  

If the Fury join CanPL, their fans would not have to switch their loyalties

Just now, RS said:

OK? BMO Field is owned by the City of Toronto but it's still controlled by MLSE.

As far as I know, OSEG has a similar arrangement with TD Place.

Yeah, it's soccer exclusivity at the stadium. If they don't put a team there, the city can put other soccer team in there as long as they pay rent.

The deal is as long as the Fury are there, OSEG have exclusivity at TD. So they join CPL or the city could allow other investors to have dates at the stadium..

Like I said...The Fury "NY Cosmos' ed" themselves 

Lets be real about the USL for a second

It was propped up by the MLS to snuff out the NASL. Now that has happened, the mls is sucking up all its decent teams. All the ones remaining all aspire to the same. A club Ottawa cant aspire to. Garber says the MLS will expand shortly to 28+ teams and when that happens does anyone actually believe there will be any soccer oxygen left in america for USL? Its already starting with the break up of divisions. USL has no sponsorships, no notable media relationships nothing. Its only claim to fame is it exisists and have a coulle well supported teams that happen to be leaving to the MLS

I believe Ottawa knows all about this and are secretly happy they save face in the decision

20 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Can't wait for CanPL to start and was quite frustrated when the Fury opted out but I think this was a shitty decision for soccer in Ottawa and in Canada.  Might be looking at one less team and a bunch less spots for Canadian players than we could have had in 2019.

If CanPL thrives the Fury would have joined in time.  Seeing a lot of angry comments on Twitter from Fury fans and I'm wondering what the longterm damage to SOCCER in Ottawa might be.  For those who think you can just throw a CanPL team in there and expect all those fans to switch their loyalties at the drop of a hat, I don't think that's how loyalties work.  

If I had been a Fury supporter all these years, supporting Canadian players before there was a CanPL, I'd be pissed too.

After all the talk of wanting clubs instead of franchises to get away from MLS-style centralized control and excessive rules, we now have a club that made a decision and is being overruled by a central governing body.

Yes, they made decisions, really BAD decisions.  And now they are suffering the consequences.  They needlessly burned bridges in CPL.  Acted like complete amateurs.  The Ottawa Fury have nobody to blame but themselves.   

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You really think USL will allow an unsanctioned team in it's league?

No way

I really have no idea - I was asking not suggesting.

I cant wrap my head around the concept of a governing body like CONCACAF being able to decide what *professional* franchises (who's owners have millions of dollars invested) can play in what professional leagues.

Im not saying if it is right or wrong. I just cant wrap my head around it to even form a coherent position. 

18 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

They should be mad, but at the Fury’s owners for making a shit decision. And while I get what your saying about the MLS centralized franchise BS, this isn’t the same thing. It’s a sanctioning body, just the same as all clubs around the world are subject to in their various regions. Why should the Fury get special treatment now that there’s no more exceptional circumstance (the lack of a Canadian League) necessitating an exception?

Some were already mad at ownership but plenty of others seemed happy to err on the side of stability and stay in USL at least for the short term.

And there is still a Welsh team in League 2 as well as several more in lower English leagues, so Ottawa's situation is not without precedent.

14 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I am mad - but at CONCACAF and f'ing Victor. At the moment I am also like f*** CPL (the latter feeling will pass in the NY).  I did not like when Ottawa announced they were staying in the USL, but by that time it was pretty obvious that was what was happening.  I also got their approach - they have built a team to compete in the USL, the USL is an established league with an improving level of performance, and they can always look to the CPL later.  To have the regional body step in and take the decision away from the team, the league and two national federations is complete shite.  As an earlier poster said, they should be doing the same to TFC, Impact and the Caps. I have seen nothing on what grounds CONCACAF's decision was based on.  Clearly it had nothing to do with the club and the fans or the City of Ottawa. This decision is bad for everyone

3 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Yes, they made decisions, really BAD decisions.  And now they are suffering the consequences.  They needlessly burned bridges in CPL.  Acted like complete amateurs.  The Ottawa Fury have nobody to blame but themselves.   

This is one side of the story.  I've heard other sides too.

But you're talking about the club.  I'm talking about the fans, and the soccer community in Ottawa.  

6 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I really have no idea - I was asking not suggesting.

I cant wrap my head around the concept of a governing body like CONCACAF being able to decide what *professional* franchises (who's owners have millions of dollars invested) can play in what professional leagues.

Im not saying if it is right or wrong. I just cant wrap my head around it to even form a coherent position. 

The issue with playing with an unsanctioned team is that the league as a whole loses its sanctioning. Which means that all players within it are banned from participating in international tournaments from that point forward. That is FIFA's (and its regional representstives) "stick" to ensure compliance 

USL wouldn't sacrifice the future of all those academy kids on MLS affiliates and current internationals for Caribbean teams and the like for Ottawa. They would also lose the D2 sanctioning from USSF that they fought so hard for

If I recall correctly, it can also be difficult for players to get signed in a legitimate league after playing in unsanctioned leagues, since it wrecks havoc on their transfer certificates 

Edited by Complete Homer

3 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I am mad - but at CONCACAF and f'ing Victor. At the moment I am also like f*** CPL (the latter feeling will pass in the NY).  

This is my worry, that there will be some fuck CanPL sentiment in Ottawa even though this was not CanPL's decision to make.  Nobody likes to be forced into something, or to feel like a club they support got fucked over.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yeah, it's soccer exclusivity at the stadium. If they don't put a team there, the city can put other soccer team in there as long as they pay rent.

The deal is as long as the Fury are there, OSEG have exclusivity at TD. So they join CPL or the city could allow other investors to have dates at the stadium..

Like I said...The Fury "NY Cosmos' ed" themselves 

You make it sound so easy...  Oh Toronto FC disbanded, but BMO shall not be idle! Some moneybags will give MLS $200M for a franchise and fill the stadium.  No problem for the City of Toronto!

Same thing for Ottawa.  Anyone can build a team and community support in a shitty American football based stadium in a league with no history, no rivalries and no media presence.

2 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

This is one side of the story.  I've heard other sides too.

But you're talking about the club.  I'm talking about the fans, and the soccer community in Ottawa.  

It doesn't really matter about sides.  The Fury gambled and lost.  They aren't sanctioned to play USL.  They have no league.  The Ottawa Fury take a back seat to Canada and CPL.  If I was an Ottawa fan, I would be pissed at the Ottawa Fury.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

While one part of me finds this hilarious, the other part of me is worried the Fury might fold over this. People rich enough to own sports teams don't like to be dictated to, the only way Goudie was going to switch was on his own terms

Whatever you think about the Fury for skipping out on CPL, they would be a loss to Canadian soccer

1st Part, agreed.  Completely. 

2nd Part, disagree.  Completely.  I read opportunity.  A big-fat-opportunity.  See 1st Part for explanation regarding the removal of an obstruction from CanPL into the Ottawa Vale.  

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Lets be real about the USL for a second

It was propped up by the MLS to snuff out the NASL. Now that has happened, the mls is sucking up all its decent teams. All the ones remaining all aspire to the same. A club Ottawa cant aspire to. Garber says the MLS will expand shortly to 28+ teams and when that happens does anyone actually believe there will be any soccer oxygen left in america for USL? Its already starting with the break up of divisions. USL has no sponsorships, no notable media relationships nothing. Its only claim to fame is it exisists and have a coulle well supported teams that happen to be leaving to the MLS

I believe Ottawa knows all about this and are secretly happy they save face in the decision

Let me say that from the start I thought Ottawa should have joined the CPL which more or less will be an equivalent league in level of play and financially at least in the early years, however, I think the USL will always be there for cities not big enough for the MLS and for cities who aspire to play in MLS to start at that level and then hopefully move up to MLS as expansion teams. It will always be a second division in the US and I don’t see it going anywhere it will always serve a purpose. Soccer is growing in the US and just like any other country will have it’s first division which is the MLS and it’s lower divisions like the USL, therefore the USL is not going anywhere, but since the CPL is now a league at the same level more or less like the USL then there is no need for Ottawa to be playing in the USL.

Fury management's lack of footy experience or insight is starting to show - and that has been the root cause of all the drama from the last few months. I don't think Fury were ever against CPL, they just figured it's too much effort to 'learn' a new league and system when they had a status quo that was 'good enough' in USL. It turned into a battle of egos with unwillingness let CPL change the comfy business situation they had.

While CONCACAF's decision makes a lot of sense and is probably correct, its turned a fragile situation into a disaster. Problem is OSEG is tuned to think in North American sports terms, where there's basically no national federations being governing bodies and playing in cross border leagues is normal. Development for national teams is non-existant and the only thing they see is $$$. I don't see them responding to this in a constructive way - this is territory that the vast majority of people in OSEG have little idea how to handle.

Situations like this are the major draw back to having North American hockey/gridiron ownership groups trying soccer. It's a completely different world.

Fury is now best in CPL next year, but that's far from being simple now.