2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I have black friends who refuse to use the word, I don't think that's universal 

And I have gay friends who call each other F**. Insults in general are in the eye of the beholder and intent can be impossible to interpret.

14 minutes ago, Oranje said:

And I have gay friends who call each other F**. Insults in general are in the eye of the beholder and intent can be impossible to interpret.

Fair point. Also makes me reconsider my general point on "puto". Even if 95% of people saying and hearing a word don't envision a gay prostitute when using the word, hearing your sexual orientation used as a pejorative is possible to be harmful enough to justify banning it for the 95% who can easily use a different word. 

I don't know, should probably stop taking a stance on subjects I'm a but distanced from. 

10 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

For me, the issue here is censorship. I don't want anybody setting themselves up to tell me what I can and can't say (and by the same token I don't presume to tell others what they can and can't say). I'm a big boy. I'll say what I want and take the consequences.

But people telling you they don't like what you're saying *are* the consequences.

6 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Puto isn't homophobic. No spanish speaker will say its homophobic because its not.

Strange. A lot of Spanish speakers have told me that it is.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Just because someone chants puto at a soccer match at the opposing keeper, indiscriminately might I add, does not make them homophobic. However, to throw a banana at an African and call him a monkey is discrimination. Can you actually not understand the difference, or are you just digging your heals into the sand on this?

This idea that we must protect everyone in society from ever becoming offended has created a generation of people who are offended by everything. 

Last post since the discussion is degenerating.

I never said those two acts were the same.  Directing the insult to a specific member of the insulted group - whether racial or homophobic - is clearly a step further than some indiscriminate use of the term.

My point - and I have stated it clearly - was that the simple use of the term is extremely offensive to some people.  And it happens to be a group of people that has generally faced significant prejudice and persecution for who they are.  For me, that is enough justification to not use the term in question.  YMMV.

Apparently Malouda may not be eligible to play.

If he plays, Canada could ask for a forfeit according to this: 

"Each participating Member Association shall select its national representative team from the best players who are nationals of its country and under its jurisdiction, and are eligible for selection in accordance with the provisions of the applicable FIFA Regulations."

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/07/06/florent-malouda-french-guiana-gold-cup-france-concacaf-fifa?utm_campaign=si-soccer&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

30 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Apparently Malouda may not be eligible to play.

If he plays, Canada could ask for a forfeit according to this: 

"Each participating Member Association shall select its national representative team from the best players who are nationals of its country and under its jurisdiction, and are eligible for selection in accordance with the provisions of the applicable FIFA Regulations."

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/07/06/florent-malouda-french-guiana-gold-cup-france-concacaf-fifa?utm_campaign=si-soccer&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

If we need to force a forfeit to get a win against FG, we are pretty much fucked anyway.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we need to force a forfeit to get a win against FG, we are pretty much fucked anyway.

we don't need one. If a country cheats you are obviously going to do something about it

Puto, in its technical literal sense, means Gigolo.  Its a short form for prostituto, meaning male prostitute.  Not homosexual male prostitute.  

The word Puta/Puto is thrown around in (most parts) of latin america like candy.  I'd say its the spanish equivalent to the multiple uses available for the word F*ck.  

Some common examples:

No tengo ni puta idea!  (I have no fucking idea!)

Que puta suerte!  (What fucking luck!)     

Puta madre!  (Awesome! [though literally means whore mother])

Quieres bajar el volumen del puto televisor! (Wanna turn down the volume on the fucking television!)

Puto, in and of itself, is actually not used very much as an insult.  Puta can be.  If you yell Puta in anger at a woman, that's just really bad.  You're calling her a whore.  Nothing gay or homosexual about it.  Puto is just not used in anger towards a male.  You don't call a male a Gigolo in english to insult him, same thing in spanish.  At its worst, you call a man Puto who sleeps around with women and disrespects them like that.  Im coming from a south american perspective, but I really dont think its any different in Mexico.  In Mexico specifically, I think Puto is more of an over the top joke insult.  In a soccer context, the Puto chant is the equivalent of the "hey fat bastard" chant, that is the meaning people understand when they hear it or say it at a Mexican football match.

Puto is in no way shape or form the spanish equivalent of Fag or Homo.

We lost to Guadeloupe in the 2007 group stage but also won against Costa Rica and Haiti. A loss or a tie against FG, while not acceptable for a team who's aiming at better things, wouldn't be that much of a shock for me.

Not sure if posted, but MLSsoccer.com's power rankings were

1. Mexico (C)

2. USA (B)

3. Costa Rica (A)

4. Panama (B)

5. Honduras (A)

6. Jamaica (C)

7. Canada (A)

8. Curacao (C)

9. El Salvador (C)

10. Nicaragua (B)

11. French Guiana (A)

12. Martinique (B)

13 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Not sure if posted, but MLSsoccer.com's power rankings were

1. Mexico

2. USA

3. Costa Rica

4. Panama

5. Honduras

6. Jamaica

7. Canada

8. Curacao

9. El Salvador

10. Nicaragua

11. French Guiana

12. Martinique

seems about right..

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

American media probably calling Group B the group of death.

They called our group the hardest actually

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

American media probably calling Group B the group of death.

14 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I would agree with that...I haven't seen any American media call the USMNT's group anything other than fairly easy

Yup, the two American soccer podcasts that I listen to (ETR and TSS) both called group A the most competitive group at the tournament.

Matthew Doyle from MLS.com apparently picked Canada to win the Gold Cup.  Saw it referenced on Twitter a couple of days ago but not sure where he did it.  Interesting thread going on between him, Rollins, Squizz and Surridge right now on his pick.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Matthew Doyle from MLS.com apparently picked Canada to win the Gold Cup.  Saw it referenced on Twitter a couple of days ago but not sure where he did it.  Interesting thread going on between him, Rollins, Squizz and Surridge right now on his pick.

It was here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/06/discuss-who-will-win-concacaf-gold-cup-who-will-win-golden-boot

He also picked AJH to win the Golden Boot. I think he's just playing (note his Hutch was offside claim), but I haven't seen the twitter stuff you are talking about.

Archived